Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 23 February 2015, 13:26
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I'm pretty sure SOT transitioned in the 90s to whatever they call it now. Our entire ODA attended after Desert Storm...

Stay safe.
You are correct Guy, I was thnking of the dates my company was there. The transition was late 89-90 ish. I went to SWC in Jan 87 and they were in the process of transitioning...it took awhile to develop the new course...
Old 23 February 2015, 14:03
The USA's Loose Cannon

we stopped doing the three week course in 89 - we had been teaching both that course and the long course for a while. then did only the long course. back to back 13 week courses - burn out much?

on the range and in the apparatuses all day for a year straight sounds fun on paper lieutenant
Old 23 February 2015, 15:20
Been There Done That

I hear ya on burnout. When we were doing the 3 wk course, the white space between courses was "supposed" to be for range maintenance/instructor proficiency...did that ever happen??? NOPE

Mostly we did those demonstrations for everybody and their brother...now THAT got old...

Seems every damn chopper pilot thought it was funny when they would dip you into Mott Lake when hooked up to the STABO rig.....that got real old fast.....
Old 23 February 2015, 19:34
Been There Done That

I went to SOT with the ODA in '87 and was in the pilot (then) ASOT course in early '88(?) when we brought the whole company up from Panama. It was changed to SFARTEC later that year (if I recall correctly).
Old 24 February 2015, 09:42
Been There Done That

Ah the memories. Went to SFARTAEC 27 Oct 90 to 17 Dec 90. SWC didn't give out Diplomas back then. But in 1994 (I believe) they started to. Guys went back and received Diplomas retroactively. Received said Diploma on 9 March 1994, with the above dates of attendance. After almost 4 years in C-3-7th Grp (South Com CIF) Panama.
Old 24 February 2015, 15:48
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post
Yeah, missed out on that good deal when they formed the Maritime Company by putting 575 and 595 into B Company.

Another "Great Idea" that didn't work out so well.
MAJ Craig Robinson?
Old 24 February 2015, 16:07
Been There Done That

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
MAJ Craig Robinson?
Yes
Old 24 February 2015, 16:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
MAJ Craig Robinson?
He was my 2d Plt Ldr (1st PLT) in the BN. Good Guy, shitty that he died so young.
Old 24 February 2015, 16:27
Been There Done That

Dig through my NCOER's

Oh, now I'm going to have to dig through my NCOER's to make sure his first name was Craig.

Fairly tall, slender, dark hair and seemed to be worried one of the teams would do something to piss off the Battalion Commander.

Well, the BC was a little ticked off after the San Clemente Island Op.
Old 26 February 2015, 21:45
Confirmed User

Quote:
Well, the BC was a little ticked off after the San Clemente Island Op.
Remember that one well. There are a few rucksacks and M-16A1's that once belonged to members of 3/5 still sitting at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.

I'll quote our Battalion Commander: "We will not be doing any more maritime jumps for awhile."

Still got my Nous Defions black t-shirt put away somewhere.
Old 26 February 2015, 23:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by X18BSOCAL View Post
Remember that one well. There are a few rucksacks and M-16A1's that once belonged to members of 3/5 still sitting at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.
And none of the lost gear belonged to our Team 575.
Old 14 March 2015, 22:39
Confirmed User

My first job out of the "Q" course (July '80) was to attend and then instruct at Mott lake (ODA-725) SOT. To this day I have no idea how I got that job...but enjoyed it and the folks out there. Mike Brown,(RIP) Wayne Malick, John Humphries, Larry Evens,(RIP) CW Thompson, Van Ritch, Wayne Sigourney, Kenny Potter, Dave Goldsworthy, (RIP)...I'm missing one (he too is deceased, car accident a couple of years ago). man what a ride...
Old 15 March 2015, 00:58
Been There Done That

I went through SOT in the Fall of '78 with CW. 20 of us from 2/75, including Randy Shughart. Got to go through again in '83 with my ODA (114) from Tölz. Great training both times... and great cadre.

One of the better Team training gigs ever provided. I wish it were still around (complementing unit SFAUC). I think SF lost a valuable training venue when it went away. Useful things learned that weren't necessarily CQB focused.
Old 15 March 2015, 10:04
Confirmed User

Mott Lake

Correction, wasn't CW Thompson....He went through the "Q" course with me in 1980....CW Evans (?)...hand to hand guru...etc... also there was John Holshouser, Rodney Dutton, and MSG Harry (don't remember his first name).
Old 15 March 2015, 21:42
Confirmed User

ODA-725

with the assistance of a 5th Group Brother, finally got it...SFC Walter Minton....another great guy who dies way to soon, car accident a couple of years ago....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSM-H View Post
My first job out of the "Q" course (July '80) was to attend and then instruct at Mott lake (ODA-725) SOT. To this day I have no idea how I got that job...but enjoyed it and the folks out there. Mike Brown,(RIP) Wayne Malick, John Humphries, Larry Evens,(RIP) CW Thompson, Van Ritch, Wayne Sigourney, Kenny Potter, Dave Goldsworthy, (RIP)...I'm missing one (he too is deceased, car accident a couple of years ago). man what a ride...
Old 16 March 2015, 10:50
#AllLionsMatter

Icon5

Quote:
And none of the lost gear belonged to our Team 575.
Didn't we lose an entire ODA (I believe it was a scuba team) coming back from a JTF-6 mission?

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 16 March 2015, 11:45
Been There Done That

Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Didn't we lose an entire ODA (I believe it was a scuba team) coming back from a JTF-6 mission?
Not while I was in 3/5th.

Couple of teams almost got burned (really burned) in a big forest fire in IIRC 1994. Saw some smoke in their area, they called in and said it was starting to spread bad, had the air assets pull them out and then the whole valley went up in smoke.
Old 17 March 2015, 21:42
Confirmed User

I think in early 89 3/5 lost an entire Team in Arizona on an exercise. I don't remember if it was a JTF-6 mission, but I think it was a helicopter that went down. I was in 7th Grp at the time.
Old 17 March 2015, 21:46
Confirmed User

Found a blog on it;
CH-3E, 65-05692, "Pony12" stationed at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base crashed 12 Mar 89 in a desolate desert region 20 miles Northwest of Tucson. The Air Force Reserve crew members lost in the accident were: Lt. Col. Lawrence M. Rolle, 41, of Phoenix, commander of the reserve squadron and co-pilot of the helicopter; Maj. Donald D. Thomas, 42, of Tempe, the pilot; Master Sgt. Malte Breitlow, 45, of Tucson, and Tech. Sgt. William E. Slaven, 37, also of Tucson.
The Army Special Forces Team aboard from the 3rd Battalion, 5th Special Forces Group, Fort Bragg, N.C. were Capt. lvin L. Broussard, 30, of Sulphur, La.; Capt. Alan C. Brown, 32, West Plains, Mo.; Master Sgt. Roger D. Berryhill, 34, Pahokee, Fla.; Sgt. 1st Class Larry K. Evans, 30, Sparks, Nev.; Sgt. 1st Class George A. Wayne, 31, Whiteville, N.C.; Staff. Sgt. John W. Bigler II, 24, of Long Beach, Calif.; Staff Sgt. Kenneth W. Campbell, 26, Clinton, S.C.; Staff Sgt. Robert L. Griswold, Fayetteville, N.C.; Staff Sgt. Kevin R. Livengood, 29, San Antonio, Texas; Sgt. Larry D. Endress, 30, Clearwater, Fla.; and Sgt. Terry M. Hollway, 28, Los Angeles.
Old 17 March 2015, 21:53
Been There Done That

That list of names always makes me sad. Too many good friends from the Q course. That crash and the one the following year in FT Chaffee. Always good to see that people at least remember.

They will live on as long as our collective memory of them lives on

RIP.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.

Last edited by HighDragLowSpeed; 17 March 2015 at 22:00.

Our new posting rules