Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 9 July 2017, 06:45

David Eubank, Free Burma Rangers

Just watched documentary http://info.arte.tv/de/irak-fuer-mosul-sterben
(Sorry in German, title “Dying for Mossul“)
Any background information on Mr Eubank and his NGO?
Thx in advance
Old 9 July 2017, 11:14
Been There Done That

You're welcome.
Old 9 July 2017, 11:27

Oh yes. Google helped a lot. My fault not to be more precise :-)
Old 31 July 2017, 16:35
Confirmed User

Not to take away from what he is doing as he is doing some good. But the main issue with his group, is he is also proselytizing christianity to already weakened and at risk people. Basically he is using the war on ISIS to not only promote his christian based charity, but to push his ideology on people susceptible to being swayed. I find it completely wrong to push religious values through prayer etc on people who for the past three years lived by the sword of a religion. The last thing moslawis need is someone to preach religion whether it is christianity, or islam, or Buddhism etc to them. They need people indifferent of religion and those who ignore it. Not promote it.
Old 31 July 2017, 18:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull View Post
Not to take away from what he is doing as he is doing some good. But the main issue with his group, is he is also proselytizing christianity to already weakened and at risk people. Basically he is using the war on ISIS to not only promote his christian based charity, but to push his ideology on people susceptible to being swayed. I find it completely wrong to push religious values through prayer etc on people who for the past three years lived by the sword of a religion. The last thing moslawis need is someone to preach religion whether it is christianity, or islam, or Buddhism etc to them. They need people indifferent of religion and those who ignore it. Not promote it.
About as spot-on of an assessment as you will find regarding this.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 31 July 2017, 19:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
Dave Eubanks is one of the finest men I have ever met, and was one of the most respected men/ODA commanders in 1st Group in his time. The work he has done for decades now in Myanmar/Thailand has been very significant - legendary. Most of the people he dealt with over there come from Christian backgrounds anyway.

I applaud him for his work that he is now doing as well in war torn areas of Iraq AO, just one piece of the puzzle. Taking advantage, NO. Ministering to people who need faith, grace, and assurance the most, Yes. He is very used to dealing with people in these types of environments, combatting a similar situation in Myanmar for the almost the last two decades. One group trying to eradicate another ethnic demographic.

http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-i...616-story.html

We need more men like David Eubanks in this world, that is for sure. Glad to see he has continually lived up to the SF ethos, and walked his faith instead of just talking it like many do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by leopardprey; 31 July 2017 at 19:08.
Old 31 July 2017, 19:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Dave Eubanks is one of the finest men I have ever met, and was one of the most respected men/ODA commanders in 1st Group in his time. The work he has done for decades now in Myanmar/Thailand has been very significant - legendary. Most of the people he dealt with over there come from Christian backgrounds anyway.

I applaud him for his work that he is now doing as well in war torn areas of Iraq AO, just one piece of the puzzle. Taking advantage, NO. Ministering to people who need faith, grace, and assurance the most, Yes. He is very used to dealing with people in these types of environments, combatting a similar situation in Myanmar for the almost the last two decades. One group trying to eradicate another ethnic demographic.

http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-i...616-story.html

We need more men like David Eubanks in this world, that is for sure. Glad to see he has continually lived up to the SF ethos, and walked his faith instead of just talking it like many do.
I am not taking away from what he is doing. But what the moslawis do not need is religious teaching at this point in time. Preying on the weak regardless of your beliefs is bullshit. He needs quit grouping people up and to bow heads less and do more of the physical aspect that he is known for when it comes to refugees etc. The religion thing is actually not helping as the extremists can simply push it off as Americans trying to proselytize which even non extremists see as wrong so it is counter productive to getting the populace to understand coalition, iraqi forces and westerners in general are not a threat to their way of life and hold no ill will towards decent muslims
Old 31 July 2017, 21:04
Authorized Personnel

Praying with and for people is not proselytizing! They can take it or accept it. Christian missionaries are going to pray with people -- that's what they do. They don't go to people who are rich in third world countries. They go to the beaten down. Don't mistake one for the other. There are multiple faiths that accept prayers from others when they need them.

I have no problems with what he is doing. If they don't want to partake with his praying for them...they don't have to. Just like we have kids who don't want to stand for our National Anthem or say the Pledge of Allegiance. That's how we role!
Old 31 July 2017, 21:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
Praying with and for people is not proselytizing! They can take it or accept it. Christian missionaries are going to pray with people -- that's what they do. They don't go to people who are rich in third world countries. They go to the beaten down. Don't mistake one for the other. There are multiple faiths that accept prayers from others when they need them.

I have no problems with what he is doing. If they don't want to partake with his praying for them...they don't have to. Just like we have kids who don't want to stand for our National Anthem or say the Pledge of Allegiance. That's how we role!
It doesn't roll that way here. And tbh when a bunch of refugees come in hungry, tired, thirsty and sick and a guy or group says let's pray they do it to get it over with and get what they need. It's one thing praying with the soldiers. It's completely different aspect trying to get people to pray who just fled a warzone.

I've seen it personally on multiple frontlines, his group gcan get overly pushy &overbearing with the religious things & refugees sometimes. Theres a reason you dont see these christian medical & refugee NGOs doing it as it benefits jihadist movements when the film's & pictures gets out.

And in Islam it is considered proselytizing fyi which is not helping the situation any.
Old 31 July 2017, 21:18
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
It doesn't roll that way here. And tbh when a bunch of refugees come in hungry, tired, thirsty and sick and a guy or group says let's pray they do it to get it over with and get what they need. It's one thing praying with the soldiers.
That's my exact point. Go with it and then go your way! It's that simple. They are refugees and he is providing aid...correct? If they don't want more, then they don't have to take it. I'm sure not going to attack the man for trying to do something good in a rathole.

Last edited by Agoge; 31 July 2017 at 21:19. Reason: Editing so I didn't sound obtuse!
Old 31 July 2017, 23:30
The Sagacious One

Quote:
It doesn't roll that way here. And tbh when a bunch of refugees come in hungry, tired, thirsty and sick and a guy or group says let's pray they do it to get it over with and get what they need. It's one thing praying with the soldiers. It's completely different aspect trying to get people to pray who just fled a warzone.

I've seen it personally on multiple frontlines, his group gcan get overly pushy &overbearing with the religious things & refugees sometimes. Theres a reason you dont see these christian medical & refugee NGOs doing it as it benefits jihadist movements when the film's & pictures gets out.

And in Islam it is considered proselytizing fyi which is not helping the situation any.
You have just summarized the history of mankind.
Old 31 July 2017, 23:34
Been There Done That

Yeah, we better make sure we don't anger the Muslims.....or give them reason to commit further war/atrocities.

Maybe we should just all covert to Islam to placate ISIS, then there would be peace.

Hey, lets make all our US military Chaplains cover up their crosses on their uniforms as well.....we sure do not want to cause any Muslims to have reason/justification to fight us.

Old 31 July 2017, 23:40
Been There Done That

Just for info: Dave Eubank, besides being a 1st Group SF veteran (0-3 of ODA 174 MFF Team) was also a former platoon leader in 2nd Bat. (2/75 RGR).

Old 1 August 2017, 03:02

Thank you for the background info. Saw in another story that he has taken his wife+children to Mossul, a fact I as a father consider quite extreme. He is definitely a man of courage and leadership, I hope he is keeping control of his believe and his mission to share it with other human beings in Mossul and other places like that
Old 2 August 2017, 13:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokangaroos View Post
Thank you for the background info. Saw in another story that he has taken his wife+children to Mossul, a fact I as a father consider quite extreme. He is definitely a man of courage and leadership, I hope he is keeping control of his believe and his mission to share it with other human beings in Mossul and other places like that
He ensures his family is safe as possible at all times. I may not agree with his religious actions. But make no mistake he's not crazy. He's a family man, smart, calculated & doing a great job (religious shit aside)at filling gaps with the humanitarianism side.

He also has extremely large brass balls. He closed & engaged isis within hand grenade range. Literally it was around 5m distance and he fucked their shit up and then proceeded to push to get to people that were stuck without a second thought.
Old 3 August 2017, 01:10
Confirmed User

I think what he is doing for people shows the inherent difference between Christianity and Islam. One forces you under penalty of death, and the other provides sanctuary and help because it is the core values of the religion. We need more of this.
Old 3 August 2017, 03:35

No doubt about him being a professional with a very high level of courage and empathy - saw that video where he saved this young girl, impressing to say the least
Old 3 August 2017, 03:56
Life is simple, not easy.

Quote:
I am not taking away from what he is doing. But what the moslawis do not need is religious teaching at this point in time. Preying on the weak regardless of your beliefs is bullshit. He needs quit grouping people up and to bow heads less and do more of the physical aspect that he is known for when it comes to refugees etc. The religion thing is actually not helping as the extremists can simply push it off as Americans trying to proselytize which even non extremists see as wrong so it is counter productive to getting the populace to understand coalition, iraqi forces and westerners in general are not a threat to their way of life and hold no ill will towards decent muslims
If this work by David Eubank isn't a perfect time to spread Christianity I'm not clear on when it is. An organization helped these people via Christian contributions yet they shouldn't preach about Christianity? This is the exact time.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 3 August 2017, 10:22
Administrator

I think the point is that this brings drama that really isn't needed right now in Mosul. Maybe in a few months it might be more acceptable. Maybe not. Nobody is criticizing the guys work, just his timing. IS may not be the threat that it was just a couple of months ago but if any of you have ever worked with the IA then you know that they can be just as bad. Then the Kurds will get involved against the IA. Do you see where this is going?
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 3 August 2017, 10:25
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I think the point is that this brings drama that really isn't needed right now in Mosul. Maybe in a few months it might be more acceptable. Maybe not. Nobody is criticizing the guys work, just his timing. IS may not be the threat that it was just a couple of months ago but if any of you have ever worked with the IA then you know that they can be just as bad. Then the Kurds will get involved against the IA. Do you see where this is going?
I see where that can certainly be true if that was the intent of the OP. I didn't get that from his delivery. However, I can agree with what you wrote.

Our new posting rules