SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 22 July 2018, 18:17
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
Maybe the Admins should make a separate perm thread for this subject.
You are referring to what I just posted? If so, I don't think that's a bad idea.
Old 22 July 2018, 19:30
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
Purple36, I'm sorry for your team's loss.

I'll throw out that when I was at my lowest and darkest, you couldn't have paid me enough to reach out to someone for help. Because as far as I knew, I was just a bother to everyone. Nobody had time for me. Nobody gave a shit about me. Sometimes, the ledge or the gun or the river or whatever is less scary than saying, "I need help."

Saying, "Call me if you need me" is good, and we should always be available. But we also need to be diligent about keeping an eye on each other. We need to look for the signs, not just expect the drowning person to yell for help.

Me too..I went through a period back in 06 that was bad...and I did my damnedest to fake it through. I was brand new in a unit and I didn't wan't anyone to know what was going on with me. My reputation was at stake. When I couldn't pull out of it and started having dark thoughts, I walked into the office of our unit psych. I was fortunate that my unit had a couple psychs on staff that were life savers. All off the record...life savers. Not many units have this.

So what are the signs that we look for when someone is doing their best to hide their struggle?

Maybe we can begin a list of things that are signs:

Sleep problems
Anxiety
Poor appetite so visible weight loss
Difficult engaging in other than short conversations
Sadness-nothing is positive
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 22 July 2018, 19:41
FIDO

I agree with Purple36. I have lost several friends and some family to suicide. While my nephew was going through a hard time he had looked like he turned the corner and was doing well. Then without warning did It on what I can only guess was a momentary impulse. Same with many of the friends I've known, outward everything looked normal. Not sure what signs there were if any. And I have spent a considerable mount of time going over conversations, actions and anything I may have missed that could have stopped them.
Old 22 July 2018, 19:56
Another pool cleaner

One could analyze this until the cows come home.

We, friends and family, can help more than any pill or therapy session.

It makes me happy that SOCNET gives a fuck about a life.

But, I'll be gloomingly matter of fact: if I want to off myself, no one will ever know or have any inkling or stave it off.

And, NO. I have no thoughts or intentions.

So, don't beat yourselves over it.

The fact that you give a fuck probably saved a life, whether you know it or not.
Old 22 July 2018, 21:46
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
I agree with Purple36. I have lost several friends and some family to suicide. While my nephew was going through a hard time he had looked like he turned the corner and was doing well. Then without warning did It on what I can only guess was a momentary impulse. Same with many of the friends I've known, outward everything looked normal. Not sure what signs there were if any. And I have spent a considerable mount of time going over conversations, actions and anything I may have missed that could have stopped them.
Sometimes its the thought that they have made the decision to end their pain that gives them peace. At least an outward appearance of it.

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 23 July 2018 at 06:53.
Old 24 July 2018, 22:19
Been There Done That

The only sign the MSgt at work gave a month ago was he cleaned up his office before he left Friday afternoon. A couple hours later he was supposed to meet some for dinner and he never made it.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 28 August 2018, 17:16

This thread is very intense and I needed to see it. thank you. This world can be very cold.

Our new posting rules