SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 30 September 2016, 22:14

Security Contractor Employment

I am currently active duty and interested in applying for an armed mobile security position overseas when I EAS. Can anyone give a realistic timeline to start applying that would make the transition from military to civilian job more seamless? Thank you.
Old 30 September 2016, 22:16
Custom User Title

Do you have a special operations MOS?
Old 30 September 2016, 22:26

Marine Reconnaissance. Not special ops but I believe it would suffice.
Old 30 September 2016, 22:30
Been There Done That

How much time in Afg or Iraq?
Old 30 September 2016, 22:37
In Vino Veritas

3 months out personally.
Old 30 September 2016, 22:42

8 months Iraq, 12 months Afgh. I still have a bit of time left on my active duty contract. EAS is October of 2017. I'm anxious to get the ball rolling on employment and I know it takes some months for clearances, etc. So I'm wondering when a good time to apply for jobs would be... 9 months out? 6?. Trying to minimize the job gap when transitioning.
Old 30 September 2016, 22:43

Thanks Hot Mess.
Old 30 September 2016, 23:10
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
8 months Iraq, 12 months Afgh. I still have a bit of time left on my active duty contract. EAS is October of 2017. I'm anxious to get the ball rolling on employment and I know it takes some months for clearances, etc. So I'm wondering when a good time to apply for jobs would be... 9 months out? 6?. Trying to minimize the job gap when transitioning.
Start taking EMT or paramedic classes at the local college. Start applying once you get your cert/s. You must be able to set yourself apart from all others applying for the few positions out there.

America...a country founded by geniuses but managed by idiots
Old 30 September 2016, 23:20

Awesome, thanks 10thVet. Currently have DMOC/Live tissue certs, but I'll look into the EMT thing. I'm sure there's a lot of talent to pick from for those contracts.
Old 30 September 2016, 23:40
Authorized Personnel

I am sure there will be a medic type person along shortly to give you better medical training advice than I can. I was straight up Army Infantry and was lucky. The point being, you need to have something that can separate you from the other 300 people that may apply for the 50 positions that are available. Give yourself the education/skills/training to become a better asset to the organization and then sell yourself to the hiring manager by having a kick ass resume/CV and interview.

America...a country founded by geniuses but managed by idiots
Old 1 October 2016, 00:23

Dont waste your time on just getting medical certs. DOS requires 3 years of experience with the certs. Certs alone aren't going to get you BIO approved as a medic. But search the large companies SOC, TC, AEGIS, ECT someone is always hiring for DOS and various other type work..
Old 1 October 2016, 00:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicFL View Post
Dont waste your time on just getting medical certs. DOS requires 3 years of experience with the certs. Certs alone aren't going to get you BIO approved as a medic. But search the large companies SOC, TC, AEGIS, ECT someone is always hiring for DOS and various other type work..
I don't believe the op is talking about a DOS contract.
Old 1 October 2016, 00:50
In Vino Veritas

If it's non-DOS and you have a current TS some orgs will cross you over with a piece of paper. In addition, non-DOS don't worry about the med certs, no one cares. You'll need a current basic first aid that take 20 min on the web to get. I guess you could start shooting stuff out 6 mos. but I would do anything before that, you'll just get lost in the sauce. I'm going to caveat all of this applies to one particular client and contract.

Make sure you get a final physical before you get out, it'll save you some money and time.
Old 1 October 2016, 03:50
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicFL View Post
Before an Admin hits you up, try posting an intro into the appropriate forum at the very top of the thread list. Your words are worthless here without following the rules.

Cheers,

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.
Old 1 October 2016, 03:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
I am currently active duty and interested in applying for an armed mobile security position overseas when I EAS. Can anyone give a realistic timeline to start applying that would make the transition from military to civilian job more seamless? Thank you.
Have you considered staying in for the steady employment or are you being forced out for some reason?

Contracting is a bitch trying to pay the bills and there is very little in the way of "big money" anymore.

Otherwise, you have some good advice here already.

Good luck either way.

Cheers,

Lest We Forget.
Old 1 October 2016, 06:07
Been There Done That

Willy,

Take a hard look at re-enlisting, doing your 20. You are already more than half way there! Maybe even a different MOS? Also take a hard look at getting out, using your GI Bill and going to university.

Contracting has it's advantages and disadvantages - and is not all as glamourous as many think it is. And remember with contracting, you never know how long the contracts will last, treat every paycheck as your last paycheck.
Old 1 October 2016, 07:54
Custom User Title

Stay in.
Old 1 October 2016, 07:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Willy,

Take a hard look at re-enlisting, doing your 20. You are already more than half way there! Maybe even a different MOS? Also take a hard look at getting out, using your GI Bill and going to university.

Contracting has it's advantages and disadvantages - and is not all as glamourous as many think it is. And remember with contracting, you never know how long the contracts will last, treat every paycheck as your last paycheck.
Amen!

Frame this one Willy!

Cheers,

Lest We Forget.
Old 1 October 2016, 10:21
Administrator

Staying in or getting out shouldn't be a decision made over being employed or not. It's called service for a reason.

Willy regardless of what you decide on reinlisting, I suggest you immediately start taking steps towards a degree. Depending on your optempo, you should at least be able to knock out all the lower level prereqs needed for an undergrad degree.

Increasing your medical skills via certs are good suggestions too. Hit me up if you need advice on how to position yourself or start to put together a skeleton resume in order to see where you stand competitively on the dwindling good jobs in the market.

Semper Fi Brother
Old 1 October 2016, 12:58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Stay in.
If you have less than ten years to retirement, make sure that as you look at whether to get out that you analyze your retirement.

I am not talking about looking at your monthly nut. I am talking about a full-blown net-present-value analysis of what that retirement means to you in today's dollars, assuming your rank at retirement, interim increases in military pay, and your own projected mortality.

The number will stun you. If it doesn't, it isn't properly calculated.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine

Our new posting rules