SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 22 October 2020, 16:33
Embrace the Suck

Crazy Jeep crash

I posted this as I was just in Colorado 3 weeks ago and rode Black Bear Pass on my motorcycle. It's a crazy trail, steep cliffs and switchbacks, not much room for mistake. This happened 2 weeks ago.

Back story as I understand it is the Red Jeep was several switchbacks above the black jeep filming. The driver of the red jeep stopped and got out to help spot another jeep. Apparently the jeep rolled from a stop and went over the edge with a female passenger and 2 puppies in the jeep. The dogs and female were thrown from the jeep as it flipped down the hill. The dogs were ok, the female was severely injured and is still in UCU. There is a gofundme page for her in the youtube link. If you want to see the crash go to 3:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R5c...U5Qyd5bPx6TSBU

Last edited by Seanmcd82; 22 October 2020 at 16:41.
Old 22 October 2020, 16:58
Been There Done That

That's crazy.
Old 22 October 2020, 17:41
Been There Done That

Not no but Hell No. That gives me the willies just watching it. I hope the gal recovers quickly.
Old 22 October 2020, 17:59
Confirmed User

Damn! I've been on switchbacks like that all the time out in Ut and never wore my seatbelt. Probably better she got ejected than stayed in it. IDK. That's some shit right there. Almost took out the Jeep filming
Old 22 October 2020, 18:03
Embrace the Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Jeep View Post
Damn! I've been on switchbacks like that all the time out in Ut and never wore my seatbelt. Probably better she got ejected than stayed in it. IDK. That's some shit right there. Almost took out the Jeep filming
It's definitely a sketchy trail, a few times I looked over the edge and thought "If I take a fall I won't stop for about a mile and half..." So best not to look down lol
Old 22 October 2020, 18:29
Embrace the Suck

A few pics of the Jeep post crash.
Old 22 October 2020, 18:35
Been There Done That

Not my idea of fun. Lady is lucky to be alive.
Old 22 October 2020, 18:36
Authorized Personnel

That's crazy. Some folks shared the video at work today. Very lucky she wasn't killed.
Old 22 October 2020, 18:47
Shakin' the bush Boss

The saying around here is "You'd starve to death before you quit rolling"
Old 22 October 2020, 19:10
Been There Done That

Wow! Reminds of some roads in Northerm India. ScAry stuff.

Bring a Jeep Wrangler myself, there is misonomer amongst many Jeep owners of how much the toll bar will protect or how well the Jeeps will handle. Better than anything else out there IMO, but you still need skill and SA. Also if doing extreme Jeeping, I would reinforce the roll bars with a complete welded/bolted in cage, a d a 5 point seat belt.

Hope she heals up soon.
Old 22 October 2020, 19:20
Embrace the Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Wow! Reminds of some roads in Northerm India. ScAry stuff.

Bring a Jeep Wrangler myself, there is misonomer amongst many Jeep owners of how much the toll bar will protect or how well the Jeeps will handle. Better than anything else out there IMO, but you still need skill and SA. Also if doing extreme Jeeping, I would reinforce the roll bars with a complete welded/bolted in cage, a d a 5 point seat belt.

Hope she heals up soon.
I agree, I have seen some stock Jeeps take an easy tumble and the roll cage held but if it went over again it would not have held it's structure. I guess it's all what you can afford, what you need.

When I rode this trail on my bike there were a TON of Jeeps on it, not surprisingly. But there were a few Toyota trucks, some 4Runners, a Nissan and an old Land Rover, all without cages just the body structure. Though on that trail, and most ''passes' out there, I don't think it matters what you have, if you go over you're dead. No rollcage can sustain that level of impact, not even a NASCAR car with it's multiple internal cage structures. It's like GSniper said, if you go over you're going to starve to death before you stop rolling.
Old 22 October 2020, 20:03
Legal Immigrant

Anyone who has driven between Kabul and JBad can tell you about scary damn roads.

The nature of four-wheeling means it is inherently dangerous. You can train, prepare, have all the kit, but sometimes bad shit just happens.

Thoughts to the injured.
Old 22 October 2020, 20:06
Shakin' the bush Boss

Sort of like the road from Kabul to Serobi?
Old 23 October 2020, 15:33
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
Anyone who has driven between Kabul and JBad can tell you about scary damn roads.

The nature of four-wheeling means it is inherently dangerous. You can train, prepare, have all the kit, but sometimes bad shit just happens.

Thoughts to the injured.
I've been into extreme off-roading for over 25 years. It's true you can't plan for everything, but in my experience 90%+ of any injury accidents were the result of 2 things: Drunk driving and/or not wearing a seatbelt. (In this case, ironically, it was the lack of wearing a seatbelt that saved her.)

Aside from that, the roll bars are intended to protect you when you flop over. Tumbling down a mountain is more like falling out of the sky, and there's no level of protection good enough to cover that.

Whenever you park a vehicle and it's on a slope, never trust the ebrake. Always in gear, and always pointed with the tires pressing to a rock/tree/hill should it move. Gravity always wins.

Glad the lady is ok and that the pup was found after a day or two.
Old 23 October 2020, 15:47
Been There Done That

We did some kinda hell march E & E along a fuck path like that, finally led us down to Highway 1 somewhere along the Pacific Coast, Zonk175 was on that death march--but we were on foot, not in a vehicle. Age does a funny thing to a feller with any amount of common sense, it makes the 'fuck that shit' meter go off a lot quicker than it used to.

Our new posting rules