SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Naval Special Warfare > Naval Special Warfare Recruitment and Prep

Old 29 December 2015, 14:10

Will the navy take prior service for buds?

Just a simple question. Thinking about leaving the coastguard to persue a special forces job.
Old 29 December 2015, 14:50
Been There Done That

If your question is,..... will the Navy let you skip BUDS training/qualification & you go straight in the Teams because your prior service, NO

The only reason a warrior is alive is to fight and the only reason a warrior fights is to win. -- Musashi
Old 29 December 2015, 15:09
Been There Done That

As the NSW recruiter for AZ/NM before I retired, I had pretty good luck with prior service, although it was a LONG process to get them in (significantly longer than some knuckle head off the street) and the majority of the ones I sent to BUD/S were prior Special Operations in their other branches.

Disclaimer: it's been three years since I retired and things constantly change depending on the current needs of the Teams.
Old 29 December 2015, 15:48
Been There Done That

WildBill- Just yesterday you started a thread about wanting to join SF, now you are starting a thread about wanting to become a SEAL. These are two completely different jobs. You were given some good advice in the other thread. If you want to make a career change, take some time and think about what you actually want to do with your life instead of bouncing around trying to find happiness. You've already been told by other people that becoming a part of a SOF unit is not going to solve your problems.
Old 29 December 2015, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
WildBill- Just yesterday you started a thread about wanting to join SF, now you are starting a thread about wanting to become a SEAL. These are two completely different jobs. You were given some good advice in the other thread. If you want to make a career change, take some time and think about what you actually want to do with your life instead of bouncing around trying to find happiness. You've already been told by other people that becoming a part of a SOF unit is not going to solve your problems.
I'm just looking into options, I've talked to an air force recruiter as well about combat controller. And I completely understand that nobody becomes a seal without going to buds.
Old 29 December 2015, 16:54
Valhalla July 4, 2016 RIP Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1ldBill View Post
I'm just looking into options, I've talked to an air force recruiter as well about combat controller. And I completely understand that nobody becomes a seal without going to buds.
W1ldBill
You seem to of not read up on your hopeful pursuits; Air Force, Army, SEALs. To underscore your lack of immersion, it is SEAL and BUDS. Maybe you should stay in the Coasties?
Old 29 December 2015, 17:49
Administrator

Also, learn how to capitalize appropriately.
Old 29 December 2015, 21:51

Sorry if I've offended anyone here, trust me I have nothing but the utmost respect for everyone and anyone here. Allow me to refraise my question, is the Navy accepting prior service for Naval Special Warfare.
Old 29 December 2015, 22:34

I guess you don't realize you've kicked the hornets nest till one stings the shit out of you.
Old 29 December 2015, 23:45
0311/8651

You know 3 Coasties have graduated from BUDS( or is it 2)Marine Corps is still waiting for your call. Hey, being an FMF Corpsman would be the cat's meow too, you don't know how admired you would be, taking care of your Marines.
Old 30 December 2015, 00:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP MARINE View Post
You know 3 Coasties have graduated from BUDS( or is it 2)Marine Corps is still waiting for your call. Hey, being an FMF Corpsman would be the cat's meow too, you don't know how admired you would be, taking care of your Marines.
I know of the 3 who graduated, but our old Commandant shut down the program that allowed us to go to BUDS.
Old 30 December 2015, 14:20
Administrator

To answer your question: It all depends - on a number of things and age is a factor. See your local Navy Recruiter.
Old 30 December 2015, 17:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
To answer your question: It all depends - on a number of things and age is a factor. See your local Navy Recruiter.
Thank you.
Old 30 December 2015, 20:03
Been There Done That

Man you might be giving up the good life leaving the CG I've always thought y'all had a pretty good deal rescuing folks living in cool places think hard before you switch, if you don't make it through your chosen pipeline the blue navy is a different world.
Old 4 January 2016, 17:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseUSN View Post
Man you might be giving up the good life leaving the CG I've always thought y'all had a pretty good deal rescuing folks living in cool places think hard before you switch, if you don't make it through your chosen pipeline the blue navy is a different world.
I hear you
Old 5 January 2016, 09:04

I finished my Army National Guard obligation and signed a "BUDS" contract the same day. There was roughly 2x as much paperwork compared to my fresh enlistment 6 years before.

As an OSVET you get a little more freedom at BUDS Prep and depending on your rank and time in service, plan on being LPO until you get fired or quit.

Keep in mind this was 8 years ago and ive been out of the community for over a year.

XJ
Old 9 February 2016, 22:38
Confirmed User

BUD/S
Old 10 February 2016, 00:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crna View Post
BUD/S
And....?

Our new posting rules