SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 4 October 2017, 18:41
On the Extract Bird

Question Has the Military changed for better or worse?

Hey guys, this will be my first post since my introduction. I hope this post doesn't come off as disrespectful in any way to all of you vets and active duty out there. I'm only asking this because I wanna make sure that I make the right decisions.

Anyways, I plan on enlisting into the Navy in January with an SO contract, which is what I'm training for right now, everyday. It's been a dream of mine since a little kid to become a SEAL. That being said I don't want to become a team guy because of the name or the bragging rights. I'm doing it because of the job. I've always wanted to bring the fight to the enemy while being apart of a team made of the most elite warriors known to man, and to be apart of a brotherhood that's second to none.

That being said, I've heard a lot from veterans and former spec ops guys that the Military isn't what it used to be. One guy told me that he wouldn't be surprised if we're handing over cupcakes to the enemy now. Of course there's some satire in that, but it still worries me. Reading No Easy Day, Mark Owen said one of the reasons he got out was because of the ROE, and he mentioned that his team would go up to enemy compounds and were required to use a mega phone to call out the enemies telling them "This is the US Navy, come out with your hands up and put your weapons down" and that's DEVGRU we're talking about. DEVGRU has probably the most free reign out of all the units and they were required to do that.

To be frank, I don't wanna go through all of that training just to end up not being able to do our jobs. I understand that since Trump is in office, that might free up the ROE and circumstances a bit but I don't know. My biggest worry right now, is that I sign these papers and go through the training which is around 2 years, and by the time I get into a team, there'll be a new president that is in office that'll make things a lot worse. I wouldn't want to serve under a person like Mark Zuckerberg or Hillary Clinton.

So to get to the main questions of this post, I'd just like to here from some Former/Active duty guys on what they think about today's military and is it worth joining? Have things changed for the better or worse? And what do you think the future holds for the service?

Thanks a bunch for taking the time reading and answering this. I just want the straight truth. I'm just a civi so I'm pretty blind as to what the Military is like these days. Any advice is much appreciated.

P.S. I didn't know where to post this and I thought this would be the best place. If it isn't, let me know and I'll put it up somewhere else.
Old 4 October 2017, 18:51
Administrator

You haven't had the first day of basic training and you are already worrying about the ROE. Wow.

Go do more PT kiddo. You are worried about all the wrong things. Maybe you should just worry about getting through basic first.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 4 October 2017, 19:04
Been There Done That

Read more, post less
Old 4 October 2017, 19:08
Been There Done That

Quit now. Wow.
Old 4 October 2017, 19:13
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56blik View Post
I've always wanted to bring the fight to the enemy while being apart of a team made of the most elite warriors known to man, and to be apart of a brotherhood that's second to none.
So, do you want to a part of, or apart from, something elite? Words matter. Attention to detail.
Quote:
That being said, I've heard a lot from veterans and former spec ops guys that the Military isn't what it used to be.
Nothing is what it used to be. The only thing constant in the universe is change.

You use a lot of first person singular pronouns (I, me, my) for someone aspiring to be on a team of some kind. Learn to think in terms of first person plural - we, us, our.

Focus on personal excellence. Be flexible. Think team.

You may go now...
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 4 October 2017, 19:14
Been There Done That

My previous generations thought I was fucked up. Now, I think your fucked up.

So it continues.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 4 October 2017, 19:17
Been There Done That

I knew this was gonna be a good'un...as in lesson.
Old 4 October 2017, 19:19
Swimming Upstream

As far as not wanting to serve under a president you don't care for...then it is best to not join the military. You have no control over who is president-you serve the country and your unit-regardless of who the president is. I didn't like former President Clinton and I don't particularly care for our current president...but that has zero bearing on whether I do my job or not.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 4 October 2017, 19:31
Confirmed User

Better individuals than me will surely chime in, but since you posted in the Lounge here is my $0.02.

Don't join the military if you're worried about how it might have changed.

Changed from when? Last week, last year, ten years ago? Shit, when I joined and finally got to the flightline the older guys would spout shit about the newer gentler AF - these were Vietnam vets ragging the young guys.

Sure shit changes, just like the weather. You don't sign the papers because you want to serve under a certain politician - you sign because you want to serve, the rest be damned. I joined to get the hell out of the house and be on my own. Never gave a thought to who was in the big house or what might happen if we went to war.

You have no idea of what the job may be like after completing training. The fact that you look at the training in that light says a lot about your mindset.
Old 4 October 2017, 19:33
Been There Done That

If I were you (which, thank God, I'm not) I would grab both of my ears and yank as hard as possible.

That sucking, popping sound would be your head coming out of your ass.

You should be preparing to make it through Recruit Training right now; your generation is, by and large, the most out of shape generation in our history.

You need to get out and run- hard, until go see black spots from oxygen debt- not in an air conditioned gym like Planet Fitness on a treadmill with Sally Sweetcheeks on the next one walking with her earphones in. Out in the weather, where you will be for all of your physical training for the next couple of years. In the sun, the rain, and the snow- embrace the suck because it will be the only constant in your existence.

Next, put it in your mind right now to NEVER QUIT- ever- for anything. Strive to kick the balls off of anything that gets between you and your goal. Over, around, under, or through it but NEVER< EVER QUIT.

WARRIORS DONT QUIT- its not in their DNA- they destroyed when they took on the MISSION- the LIFE MISSION of accomplishing their self appointed rendezvous with their destiny.

If you get through Recruit Training and fall by the wayside on your quest- pick yourself the fuck up and start improving yourself until you meet the standard. NEVER QUIT.

See a theme here?

You are welcome here to ask questions, advice, and opinions but no one on this site will give you ANYTHING but the truth. If you are successful, we will rejoice with you; if you fail, we will encourage you to continue on. If you succeed, you WILL NOT BE THE FIRST or the LAST ONE that has sought the 10,000+ years of Special Operations experience.

We have active members here that started their journey the same way you are-

Good Luck!

Last edited by RGR.Montcalm; 4 October 2017 at 20:22.
Old 4 October 2017, 20:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post

So it continues.
His fucked up what?

Old 4 October 2017, 20:07
Supporterator

I can add only a small bit to what these esteemed men have said.

If the military is to remain capable of fighting and winning wars, strong young men must continue to answer the call.

While remaining apolitical. Duty to country, not to a political party. Do not worry--think of how many here served under a President they sorely disagreed with. But we also nailed Bin Laden during his time in office.

Best of luck.

Last edited by IronCross; 4 October 2017 at 20:08. Reason: grammar
Old 4 October 2017, 20:10
Confirmed User

Quote:
I wouldn't want to serve under a person like Mark Zuckerberg or Hillary Clinton.
Just talk your recruiter. I know when I joined they put a clause in my contract that if Reagan lost the election, I could go home, no problem. I'm sure they'll do the same for you!

Yes, the military is different now. Everything changes, some things for better, some things for worse. You either want to join the Navy, or you don't. The rest of it you just deal with.
Old 4 October 2017, 20:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstshirt View Post
His fucked up what?

Your right. I forgot this was a kinder/gentler SOCNET and we're supposed to provide more mentorship. So, here it goes.

Look here kid. Do what everyone else said. Read more, post less. And then you won't be so fucked up.

Oh, and go ask the guys in the SEAL forum. They'll be much nicer.

Old 4 October 2017, 20:25
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post

So it continues.
You're*
Old 4 October 2017, 20:27
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
You're*
You're talking to a retired 1st Sergeant, whose probably got more time under fire than you have alive..... Listen to the advice already giving to you and read more/post less.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 4 October 2017, 20:29
Been There Done That

Take all the advice and quit while YOUR ahead.

Old 4 October 2017, 20:31
Shakin' the bush Boss

You should go to college and become an English professor. If you disrespect another senior member here you'll be searching for answers at another location. Rapidly.
Old 4 October 2017, 20:32
On the Extract Bird

I apologize everyone. Uncalled for.
Old 4 October 2017, 20:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
I apologize everyone. Uncalled for.
Yes it was. You need to apologize directly to 1RiserSlip.
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules