SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 20 October 2018, 20:45
Been There Done That

45 minute workout or three 15 minute workouts?

Use to do long workouts, whether weights or cardio.

Finding out now that I not only enjoy better, but seem to get better results, from several shorter workouts dispersed throughout the day.

One can do a pretty good workout in just 10-15 minutes on an eliptical trainer, rowing machine, dumbells/kettle bells, punching bag/martial arts drills, swimming, etc

Doing 2-3 short workouts and maybe go for a walk everyday combined with done stretching/martial arts movements/forms for mobility and flexibility and is a good day.

Also find out with the shorter workouts, it is liked getting recharged - ready for others tasks of the day. And Kees metabolism going. Where as at when do a long workout these days, as I am now 51, it tires me out and then I want to crash and/or overeat.

Nice thing also about 10-15 minute workouts is they are easy to fit into ones schedule.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 20 October 2018, 22:01
Confirmed User

For the last couple of months I have been trying this strategy and I finding I am getting better results, and not as wiped out throughout the day.

With our 50-60hrs work weeks, my hour to hour and a half workouts was totally draining me. I would stop at the gym after getting off at 7am but then I could not fall asleep till really late in the afternoon.

Now I am doing doing about 20minutes after a 10minute warmup and then heading to the apt. Now after getting a decent amount of sleep, I would hit the gym for about 30mins before staring shift at 9pm. That 30 minutes of exercise keeps me charged up for most of the night.

I am seeing better results, better recovery and I am not as feeling drained even on my off days from training and work.
Old 21 October 2018, 08:47
Confirmed User

As I have gotten older (61) I recognized I couldn't grind the workouts like I used to...Shorter sessions combined with walking or swimming seem to do the trick. There is an app with 5/7/9 minute workouts that I do 2-3 times a day. Drop occasionally for 25 push-ups/25 squats. I also try to get 10 minutes of just stretching in.
Old 21 October 2018, 09:43
Been There Done That

10 minutes on my water rower doing 20 hard as can followed by 40 seconds normal pace gives a great workout. Then for cool down take dog on 15 walk around neighborhood.

Biggest issue for me though is diet. I love to eat, and love food like pizza, cheeseburgers, sweets, fries, pasta. Learning to minimize those foods , eat healthy and lower portion sizes is a battle. And learning not to eat late in evening. Big breakfast, small lunch, even smaller dinner.

But just eating right and several short exercise session a day seems to be what works for me.

Old 21 October 2018, 09:45
Confirmed User

I always used p/u and s/u to maintain some fitness when I don't have time or a facility. I used to think 4-5 sets of 35-50 reps had to be done ASAP, I usually did less than 5 min rest between sets, tried to push it down to under 3 minutes rest.

Now I do 4-5 sets, 45-55 reps, with anywhere from 10-60 mins between. My APFT was always in the 75-85 range for p/u and s/u. Nothing has changed with the longer rest periods.

I think people believe you have to be smoked or go to muscle failure to get results, but I don't think that's grounded in science. I read adaptations happen as long as you do the reps, ie. 50 reps a day for pull ups rather than a marathon session etc.
Old 21 October 2018, 11:21
BTDT

Everything works - until it doesn't - then you tweak it a bit, and it works again. Adaptation is progress - progressively increasing 'whatever' keeps the improvement going (generally - there are limits). Also, *maintaining* a level of fitness takes WAY less effort than *increasing* it - so depending on lifestyle/goals/time - short 'workouts' can be fine - not everyone desires to complete a marathon competitively or squat 600.

When talking about muscle size (hypertrophy) or strength - there *are* some science based minimums that need to be met, based on the current available data. Dr. Brad Schoenfeld does a lot of the work in this area, using trained athletes (versus obese couch potato's, for example - everything works for them).

Do whatever you can, and will do - always beats doing nothing.
Old 25 October 2018, 00:13
Ghey floor sweeper

This sounds suspiciously like crossfit’s theory. Better come up with a different cool-sounding name. Maybe the “Itworksuntilitdoesnt” workout. Oh, and that’s my trademarked term now, not Poly’s, because Inmashed it all together to make it cool. Go steal your own.

Something to be said for intensity spacing out the workouts.
Old 25 October 2018, 12:15
Confirmed User

A treadmill set at 15 degrees and 12 miles an hour. Creates the perfect hummmm by which to take a nap. Trust me!

At 58 still HIIT 4 days lift 3. But and scary to admit but am transitioning to more Yoga. Figure it wiill carry me farther longer might be able to touch my knees by 70.. So many variations to meet your needs and you dont need a Gym. TV, Laptop etc.
Old 25 October 2018, 12:41
Fan ar an gcosán

"45 minute workout or three 15 minute workouts?" - I mix in both. I average 20-30 minute workouts these days, with an hour of BJJ 2-3 times a week. There are fantastic short workouts like Tabata, MARSOC short and long cards, and intense kettlebell combination movement workouts. For longer workouts they are usually more like challenges, e.g. the "300" w/kettlebells, Murph, etc. I'm so hooked on the garage gym convenience it's hard to go elsewhere. I do like benchmarking every now and then with bench press and deadlift. I've never been one for heavy squats.
Old 25 October 2018, 20:01
0311/8651

Boxing workout Monday 50min)
Thursday 2x5 miles on my stationary bike- 16.3mph
I’ll do a weight workout in the next 3 days
I’m old
Old 25 October 2018, 20:12
Shakin' the bush Boss

Two 6 packs or a 12 pack? That's the real question.
Old 25 October 2018, 20:39
Calculating Infinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Two 6 packs or a 12 pack? That's the real question.
My man
Old 26 October 2018, 09:23
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
This sounds suspiciously like crossfit’s theory...
Don't even get me started

Pentathlon/Decathlon Origin:

Quote:
The event developed from the ancient pentathlon. Pentathlon competitions were held at the ancient Greek Olympics. Pentathlons involved five disciplines – long jump, discus throw, javelin throw, sprint and a wrestling match.[4] Introduced in Olympia during 708 BC, the competition was extremely popular for many centuries. By the sixth century BC, pentathlons had become part of religious games. A ten-event competition known as the "all-around" or "all-round" championship, similar to the modern decathlon, was first contested at the United States amateur championships in 1884 and reached a consistent form by 1890;[5][6] an all-around was held at the 1904 Summer Olympics, though whether it was an official Olympic event has been disputed.[7] The modern decathlon first appeared on the Olympic athletics program at the 1912 Games in Stockholm.[8]
Circuit Training:

Quote:
Circuit training is a form of body conditioning or endurance training or resistance training using high-intensity. It targets strength building or muscular endurance. An exercise "circuit" is one completion of all prescribed exercises in the program. When one circuit is complete, one begins the first exercise again for the next circuit. Traditionally, the time between exercises in circuit training is short, often with rapid movement to the next exercise.[1]

The program was developed by R.E. Morgan and G.T. Anderson in 1953 at the University of Leeds in England.[2]
Cross-Training:

Started in the 1960's and was a full fledged "thing" in the 1980's Re: The worlds first "cross-training" shoe the Nike Air Trainer 1.

But hey, nobody said Greg Glassman wasn't a "what's old is new again" re-branding/marketing genius

Oh, "Paleo" - a.k.a "Eating healthy foods from around the perimeter of your grocery store".
Old 26 October 2018, 14:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
10 minutes on my water rower doing 20 hard as can followed by 40 seconds normal pace gives a great workout. Then for cool down take dog on 15 walk around neighborhood.

Biggest issue for me though is diet. I love to eat, and love food like pizza, cheeseburgers, sweets, fries, pasta. Learning to minimize those foods , eat healthy and lower portion sizes is a battle. And learning not to eat late in evening. Big breakfast, small lunch, even smaller dinner.

But just eating right and several short exercise session a day seems to be what works for me.
I’ve found that the more I get used to eating healthy, the less I have an appetite for unhealthy things. When you want to eat those things, simple changes like wheat or zuccini noodles, turkey instead of beef, and cauliflower crust pizza (seems to be the new in thing) will make those meals much less unhealthy.
Old 26 October 2018, 14:58
Shakin' the bush Boss

I took Poly's advise on some things a few months ago and they worked like a champ.
Old 27 October 2018, 05:59
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I took Poly's advise on some things a few months ago and they worked like a champ.
Good to hear. I just repeat what fit MDs and PhDs actually prove with science
Old 28 November 2018, 11:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubuckeye762 View Post
For the last couple of months I have been trying this strategy and I finding I am getting better results, and not as wiped out throughout the day.

With our 50-60hrs work weeks, my hour to hour and a half workouts was totally draining me. I would stop at the gym after getting off at 7am but then I could not fall asleep till really late in the afternoon.

Now I am doing doing about 20minutes after a 10minute warmup and then heading to the apt. Now after getting a decent amount of sleep, I would hit the gym for about 30mins before staring shift at 9pm. That 30 minutes of exercise keeps me charged up for most of the night.

I am seeing better results, better recovery and I am not as feeling drained even on my off days from training and work.
Same here. I usually do some kind of 15-20 min aerobic exercise in the morning. Then I feel all pumped for the day :)
2-3 times a week I do strength 25-30 min training during lunch break (we have a gym at work). With warm up and quick shower it is around 45-50 min.
When I come back from work, I ALWAYS do ab roller, just for a few minutes. That small thing makes wonders!!! Then some push-ups, 2x7 min cardio circle and a little bit of dumbbells.

It works for me
Old 28 November 2018, 17:41
Been There Done That

My new routine, after returning from Hong Kong, is:

15 minutes on eliptical/strider machine early morning.

Then followed about a half hour later with a 20 - 22 minute or so martial arts workout.

Later in late afternoon do 11 minutes on water rower.

Lift weights three times a week. About 25 minutes with the dumbells. Tue, Thrs, Sat mornings.

Walk Mr. Hank 20-30 minutes every day.

Go shooting once a week - weather permitting.

Nutrition:

Fish
Chicken
Eggs
Vegetables (brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, spinach, zucchini, Brussels sprouts, onions, avocados, green beans)
Olive oil
Seasoning (turmeric, garlic, 5 spices, pepper, chile peppers).
Coffee/green tea
Daily Multi vitamin

Old 4 December 2018, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post

Biggest issue for me though is diet. I love to eat, and love food like pizza, cheeseburgers, sweets, fries, pasta.
Isn't it the biggest issue for us all :)

I try hard to take out almost all sugar except for fruit sugar of course..and to lower the carb...meaning- if I eat steak, I can take that mashed potatoes, but if I eat the burger, either I will take out the bun or I will give up the fries.

As it comes to rowing machines, I just bought this water rower, a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't recommend it more.
Old 4 December 2018, 14:30
Been There Done That

Yep, same rower I have except I have the natural oak colored wood instead of dark walnut. Many compliments as it matches my hardwood oak floors.

Our new posting rules