Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > ARSOF Recruitment and Prep

Old 22 October 2015, 17:13

Physical Prep Discussion

After using the search function, I couldn't find any recent (w/in the last year or two) discussions involving actual fitness prep for SFAS. I thought that I might take the liberty of starting a newer, more contemporary, discussion on the subject.

As an 18x contract hopeful, I've been doing some preliminary research on the subject and I've found two particular programs that I thought would be something to ask about in this forum: Military Athlete (particularly their Ruck-Based (SFAS) Training Packet) and SOFLETE. Does anybody have any experience with these programs? Even if you don't, I know that I for one would be interested in hearing any thoughts on them.

There's a lot of other posts here about rucking/running/etc., and I'm sure that much hasn't changed with the normal "get out there and do it", but are there any tips, perhaps a little newer, that anyone would be interested in telling?

Thanks ahead for the discussion and so sorry if I'm about to get the slap of justice for unwittingly committing some SOCNET faux pas.
Old 22 October 2015, 18:57
In Vino Veritas

I like mil athlete but 9 months to get ready for SFAS You must really have to suck at life for it to take that long. If you are an 18x hopeful then you don't need to purchase shit. You are going to go to basic where you will get in running/push-up/sit-up shape. You'll go to ABN school where you'll lose most of it. Then you'll go to Bragg where they will smoke your bags before you head off to SFAS. Body weight and running is all you really need to get ready for basic.

As for SOFLETE, there is a member here who is involved with them. I have no doubt they could write programming to get someone ready for SFAS, but that is someone who has some time in the .mil, not a guy off the street. Because a guy off the street isn't going straight to SFAS.

When I got ready for SFAS I didn't have all these people offering programs. I rucked twice a week, ran, swam, did pu/su and did work capacity workouts. When I got to SOPC they improved my running.

WRT mil athlete, most of their programming is written for someone that already has a base fitness. Even starting their APFT from the couch will leave you behind the power curve. My advice is to be able to run a 13:00 2 mi, and do 80 push-ups/sit-ups in two min respectively. Other than that you're probably asking to get hurt before you leave for basic.

ETA: You were released from the Navy after almost 10 yrs? I don't know the Navy system but did you not attain a certain rank in that time? If so, you want to go to a competitive place like SF? Ok...
Old 23 October 2015, 21:11

Thank you for the insight. I was really hoping I wouldn't have 9 months until a ship-out date, but I was also looking for anything to do other than push ups, sit ups, pull ups, running, etc. between now and whenever they can get me a spot on the bus. Especially with the rucking. I've never rucked before, so I actually had to look up what rucking actually was (as far as I can glean, it's backpacking with heavy stuff). Less fitness and more training the muscles to prevent rolls/sprains/breaks (God forbid). If I understand you correctly, it would seem that I could be making it possible for just such an occurrence with over-thinking it.

Navy boot camp is terribly lax. When I went through, I was in worse shape physically when I came out than when I went in. I was assuming that it would be comparable with BCT, but from your post I'm getting a different feeling about it. In RTC, we had the dive motivator that SpecWar hopefuls could attend an hour before reveille for some extra PT (or the only PT for that day, in most cases). Does BCT have anything like that?

Quote:
My advice is to be able to run a 13:00 2 mi, and do 80 push-ups/sit-ups in two min respectively. Other than that you're probably asking to get hurt before you leave for basic.
Good copy. I'll keep my strong parts as safe as possible.

Quote:
ETA: You were released from the Navy after almost 10 yrs? I don't know the Navy system but did you not attain a certain rank in that time? If so, you want to go to a competitive place like SF? Ok...
Yes, sir, I do. I made E-5. Navy's point based vice performance based.

Could I beg a definition of "ETA"? My Google machine doesn't return anything useful (other than the obvious estimated time of arrival).

Again, I really appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts, Hot Mess. Thank you.
Old 23 October 2015, 21:30
Confirmed User

In a forum post like that, it usually means "Edited to add."
Old 23 October 2015, 21:44

Gotcha, thank you, Bob. Gonna add this one to my knowledge base.
Old 24 October 2015, 22:44
The Sagacious One

I would advise you to get in good shape with running, PU and SU, swimming and stretching. Look at some kettle bell training. Learning to ruck with a light ruck is probably a good idea. The thing to focus on is managing the intensity of your training and not getting hurt.

Once you get an idea when you will be attending BCT and SFAS, then turn up the intensity. Give yourself some time to rest between BCT and SFAS as well. You may also have to go to the basic airborne course somewhere in between. While not overly strenuous, it is an opportunity to continue to build your conditioning.

I would save my money on the programs, for now.
Old 26 October 2015, 21:15

Thank you for the help, TFG. I do appreciate it.

"Don't hurt yourself" seems to be the underlying concept here. Much appreciated.
Old 26 November 2015, 19:56
Confirmed User

You've been here for longer than me probably, but in case you haven't noticed, there's a lot of good trails to run in hampton roads.. I run sandy bottom nature park in Hampton most of the time. First landing is another one to check out if you're on the east side of the tunnel. Good luck man.
Old 2 December 2015, 10:50

Thanks, Zig.

I haven't even heard of Sandy Bottom before, but I've traversed First Landing quite a bit.

I actually have recently moved to upstate New York for a job, so I'm in completely unknown territory, but there's thousands of trails out here. Which is awesome. A lot of mountains. Mountains that my Achilles tendons were not being prepped for in the flat Hampton Roads area. Which isn't so awesome.

(And now I will go quietly update my profile before I get hemmed up.)

Cheers!

Our new posting rules