SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 23 September 2016, 00:38
Been There Done That

Dirtbag (Beckey)

http://dirtbagmovie.com/

Fred Beckey is a PNW legend. I met him over twenty years ago and he was old as dirt then. (I don't know him, just attended a tiny lecture/slide show he did and never forgot him.) Run into any serious climbers out here and ask after him and you'll get story after story. Amazing life and this looks to be an awesome documentary. A true character, rascal, scoundrel, all the things we admire.

Some of his old slides (shown in the film trailer) are obviously aged Kodachrome. Just beautiful color and patina. Love that shit.
Old 23 September 2016, 20:20
Confirmed User

An amazing guy for sure.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 25 September 2016, 10:06
Been There Done That

Jesus...what a guy
Old 27 September 2016, 22:55
Been There Done That

What a guy is right. In that trailer you'll see at least one shot of an old ('55?) T-bird which was his approach car(!) back in the day. Also, I believe he and his buds were instrumental on mounting skis on light planes to land on snowfields way upslope.

Any rate, about 5 years ago after a long day of bird hunting I was in a bar in Bozeangeles watching Monday Night Football (Steelers at Denver, IIRC, but probably not) and I was sitting next to a couple guys who looked like they knew what a climb was all about. We got to shooting the shit and I asked if they knew Beckey. They couldn't stop talking about him--all positive, with awe. One distinct thing I remember is he never, ever stood a round!
Old 28 September 2016, 05:56
Confirmed User

Wow, thanks for sharing this. I always love climbing a route to later find out it was his. The pioneers really pushed the limits that are rarely seen today with our technological advances in gear, gps, weather forecasting, etc. Sure the grades are rising but their level of commitment and self-reliance are unparalleled.

Very glad to see this was made.
Old 12 January 2019, 16:26
Confirmed User

The movie finally came out if you haven't seen it. Forgot about this and accidentally found it on Amazon. Really enjoyed and I miss hanging out in the mountains a lot!

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 12 January 2019, 17:16
Red Headed Stepchild

Missed this the first time, thanks for bumping it Jong.

In the first picture he is 74, in the second, 83. Kinda bad ass I guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beckey_burns.jpg (32.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 1024px-Fred_Beckey_-_Louise_Falls_-_2006.jpg (37.1 KB, 76 views)

Our new posting rules