SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 10 March 2013, 14:35
On the Extract Bird

Good movie, but first thing I said after buying it and watching a few weeks ago..."This won the Osacar?"
Old 10 March 2013, 20:22
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodieBKK View Post
Just got back from the flicks - good movie, though don't buy the oscar buzz.
This thread however has been most illuminating in broadening the cudos for the Canadians and their help.
According to Wiki there were unnecessary and unfair criticism towards the Kiwis & the Brits, who did in fact assist.
It is a film that will be useful in teaching the younger generation the birth of Iranian radical Islam and the period feel of the film was very accurate. Well worth going out to watch in the kino.
Argo made a VERY minor stink way down here...including a brief comment by our PM.

It sounds like Ben Affleck apologized for it, stating it was a movie storytelling kind of thing, which I sort of accept....he's an entertainer not an historian...especially when it comes to a fairly minor detail irrelevant to 99.9% of the audience.

Hey, it's minor details...if it weren't for the fact that so many people learn their history from the movies....eeeeeek!

From what I've read, NZ diplomats played a very small supporting role in the events of that period.

Maybe someday before I die, and after Iran has been freedomized by it's people or turned into a giant glass self-lit parking lot I may learn about what REALLY all happened during that period in a full and frank open source discourse.

Did I get my panties in a bunch about the "Kiwi comment" in Argo? Of course not......but it did spark my interest in learning a little bit more about it that I wouldn't have learned otherwise. Probably the same unintentional but positive learning outcome for many others too.

Argo was definitely decent entertainment.....especially compared with what else is out there.

It didn't bother me like O Dark Thirty with it's strange flip-flops like the CIA COS getting outed BEFORE the raid in the movie instead of immediately after like in the movie....which is where I wonder the political side of O Dark Thirty has shown itself.

Anywho, I will wait patiently for the publication of a book or documentary about DET-A and other stuff like that sometime post 2030.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 10 March 2013, 20:29
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbsqd View Post
Good movie, but first thing I said after buying it and watching a few weeks ago..."This won the Osacar?"
I finally watched it last night. It was a good movie, but much like yourself, I think I have seen better. I wouldn't have been disappointed if I had paid to see it at the theater, but I wouldn't have paid to see it more than once.
Old 11 March 2013, 03:28
Whatever Sucks the Most

In retrospect, I suspect that one of the primary reasons why Argo was made was to educate the American sheeple in the history of USG malfeasance in Iran.

This context helps explain why Iran and America remain opponents, decades later.

Personally, I do not care about the history. Not anymore. Names like William Buckley and William Higgins erase any pity that I might have felt for Iran, not to mention their sustained history of confrontation against Israel and American interests worldwide over the past several decades.

I am waiting for sustained air strikes and cruise missiles raining down on Iranian targets. They have it coming to them, and have, for a long time.

Just my opinion, expressed from the cheap seats.
Old 11 March 2013, 16:27
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

This movie won the best picture Oscar? Really?

I get the feeling that the academy gave this award to Affleck as a consolation prize after he didn't get a nomination for best director.
Old 14 March 2013, 12:58
Confirmed User

I thought it was a decent rental but the ending really diminished it for me. That whole sequence was so cliche and over dramatic that is was just stupid. Argo getting best picture was nothing more than Hollywood patting itself on the back. Django and Lincoln were much better films.
Old 14 March 2013, 13:14
Been There Done That

Watched it a couple of weeks ago. Not a bad movie. But not Oscar worthy.
Old 14 March 2013, 13:15
Lost to PTSD AUG 2014 RIP Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
I thought it was a decent rental but the ending really diminished it for me.
I thought the very, very end was the best part. - A sample of how America gets it's "facts" from the boob tube.
Old 14 March 2013, 13:30
Preparing to defend

HH6 and I watched it last week and really enjoyed it, and would watch it again. While it was very good, it definitely wasn't worthy of all the Oscar attention by any stretch of the imagination.

I had just finished my first enlistment and was out living small in Fayettenam. The failure of what went down in Desert One was incremental in my decision to reenlist and try for flight school.

The politics of the time remind me of today. I don't see a damn bit of difference with the administrations.
Old 21 March 2013, 16:05
Authorized Personnel

Watched it last night. Enjoyed it. The costuming was great as were the scenes they based off actual historical photographs and newsreels. It was cool to see the side-by-side comparison in the credits.

I didn't watch many new movies last year (other than the Hobbit) to judge it against anything else up for the Academy Awards.
Old 21 March 2013, 16:20
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
...especially when it comes to a fairly minor detail irrelevant to 99.9% of the audience.

Hey, it's minor details...if it weren't for the fact that so many people learn their history from the movies....eeeeeek!
no kidding

I had friends who shot the Washington premiere at the Canadian embassy. The former ambassador was not thrilled to be there and there was some rather visible tension apparently. Frankly, I don't know why the embassy bothered to allow that screening there. It seems like a rather big slap to the face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
Django and Lincoln were much better films.
x2 on Lincoln
didn't see Django, wouldn't know
Old 21 March 2013, 16:46
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
Watched it last night. Enjoyed it. The costuming was great as were the scenes they based off actual historical photographs and newsreels. It was cool to see the side-by-side comparison in the credits.

I didn't watch many new movies last year (other than the Hobbit) to judge it against anything else up for the Academy Awards.
One of my favorite scenes shows Affleck flying into L.A. and gazing out at the disintegrating Hollywood sign.

I thought that was a nice metaphorical touch, summed up the mood of the country at the time.

Old 21 January 2019, 09:28
Been There Done That

RIP Tony. Thank you for your service.

Our new posting rules