SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 12 October 2012, 12:14
Custom User Title

"On The Wings of Eagles" was a pretty cool book. Ross Perot is awesome, at least as a human being.
Old 12 October 2012, 12:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
"On The Wings of Eagles" was a pretty cool book. Ross Perot is awesome, at least as a human being.
Was an excellent book.

I don;t know much about the man, but what he did to rescue his staff is commendable.

H
Old 12 October 2012, 12:36
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
If they do it right, it should be a good flick. I've met Tony Mendez on more than one occasion. What he and his team accomplished took some serious balls.
The problem is this movie is Holywood BS and not close to accurate. The CIA didn't do shit to rescue them. I have read the interviews with the Canadian Ambassador. He was so upset after seeing a preview that Ben Afleck personally called him. Afleck said it would cost money but that they would rewrite it.. Apparently never happened.. They wrote some acknowledgment at the end.

The Canadians made all the documents, provided safe houses, provided covers, transported the Americans etc, etc. The CIA used the wrong Iranian calendar and would have had the Americans leaving before they were even there and it was noticed by the Canadians and fixed.

What happened and didn't happen was well documented. This is Hollywood fiction. The CIA played very little role in this and obviously had no clue the situation on the ground and was taken by surprise.

And this is the rest of the story... What actually happened.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1267937--argo-film-gives-former-canadian-ambassador-ken-taylor-chance-to-set-the-record-straight

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer
Old 12 October 2012, 15:35
Confirmed User

A Q&A article done with Tony Mendez is on the front pf Yahoo. Link

Personally, I enjoyed the movie. I might see it again and will most likely buy it when it's released on DVD.
Old 12 October 2012, 15:57
Authorized Personnel

I'm looking forward to checking it out. I actually ran into/met Afleck March of 2011 in a hotel parking lot in Aman, Jordan. He said he was there scouting locations for this movie. Anxious to see if any of it was actually shot in Aman.

Seemed like a nice guy and actually talked with me for about 10 minutes.
Old 12 October 2012, 16:48
Confirmed User

The book has been out for a month.

Argo, the book.
Old 12 October 2012, 21:47
In Vino Veritas

I jut got home and really liked it. I recommend it, except for Sltwtr1
Old 13 October 2012, 01:14
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sltwtr1 View Post
The problem is this movie is Holywood BS and not close to accurate. The CIA didn't do shit to rescue them. I have read the interviews with the Canadian Ambassador. He was so upset after seeing a preview that Ben Afleck personally called him. Afleck said it would cost money but that they would rewrite it.. Apparently never happened.. They wrote some acknowledgment at the end.

The Canadians made all the documents, provided safe houses, provided covers, transported the Americans etc, etc. The CIA used the wrong Iranian calendar and would have had the Americans leaving before they were even there and it was noticed by the Canadians and fixed.

What happened and didn't happen was well documented. This is Hollywood fiction. OUT
Just saw it. It was obviously Hollywood fiction, but better than I thought it would be. I mean Clooney and Afleck (producers) are easy on the eyes but not people I'd rely on for the most objective interpretation of history.

Make sure you wait till all the credits are finished for some vintage footage of Jimmy Carter.
Old 13 October 2012, 07:41
Authorized Personnel

My wife and I watched it last night. I thought the movie was OK, but predictable. The best thing about the movie was that they took historic film and pictures of the event and re shoot it with today's technology.

America...a country founded by geniuses but managed by idiots
Old 15 October 2012, 15:22
Been There Done That

Wife and I saw it over the weekend, entertaining at least and would probably watch it again when it comes out on DVD. "Argo f*#k yourself!" Funny line, but probably used too much in the movie.

RgrDrew
RLTW!
Old 15 October 2012, 19:20
War on Christmas veteran

This is going to be a sweetheart come Academy Awards season.
Hollywood loves movies about Hollywood.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 15 October 2012, 19:56
Authorized Personnel

Wife and I saw it today and really liked it. Ditto the Academy Award thing - I'll bet it wins one of the Big 5.
Old 15 October 2012, 21:50
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
The problem is this movie is Holywood BS and not close to accurate. The CIA didn't do shit to rescue them.
With all the recent comparisons of the current POTUS to Jimmy Carter, maybe this was the best Hollywood could do to make the Carter administration look competent before the election.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 15 October 2012, 22:53
War on Christmas veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
With all the recent comparisons of the current POTUS to Jimmy Carter, maybe this was the best Hollywood could do to make the Carter administration look competent before the election.
Please don't be one of those people who thinks Hollywood plans its movies to subliminally support campaigns.

There's a difference between an obvious attack film like Oliver Stone's "W" and the paranoia asshats like Rush Limbaugh had about movies like "Batman Rises" that they believed were subtle antiRomney propaganda.
I had a bunch of college bozos protesting outside the theater in December 2001 when Black Hawk Down had a limited NY/LA run before opening nation wide.
They were going on about how the movie was deliberately timed to prepare the country for war to aid the Bush administration.

I hope you don't honestly believe that this film about the Iran Hostage Crisis is a subtle promotion for President Obama.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 15 October 2012, 23:18
Problem Solver

Good flick with great performances by Alan Arkin, John Goodman, and Ben Affleck. I predict an Oscar for either Best Director or Best Picture.

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 16 October 2012, 11:55
Administrator

Quote:
The CIA didn't do shit to rescue them..... The CIA played very little role in this and obviously had no clue the situation on the ground and was taken by surprise.

I don't know if I would go that far. I agree that they were taken by surprise. But, everyone was. Not just CIA.

I would say that the CIA was limited in what they could do as all of their people in Tehran got rolled up in the embassy takeover. There were not many options for what they could do directly without going through a proxy, such as Canada. There were a lot of politics involved as Canada needed to maintain their neutral 3rd party appearances for everyone's sake. As such, there was an agreement with CIA that their involvement would stay classified. That was a primary reason that their involvement was downplayed somewhat by Mendez in his first book.

Quote:
What happened and didn't happen was well documented.

True......but many forms of that documentation and the details within are still classified.

Quote:
And this is the rest of the story... What actually happened.
I wouldn't make that claim either. Very few people (if any) can make the claim that they know all the details of what ACTUALLY happened. Everyone sees things from their own points of view. You can bet your ass that the Canadian Ambassador doesn't even know all the details of what ACTUALLY happened. He knows his perspective of what happened, and 1979 was a long time ago. I was involved firsthand on the ground in the effort to find Bowe Bergdahl within hours of the incident. But I would never claim to know all of the details of what actually happened with all of the recovery efforts. Too much happening too fast in too many places and at too many levels. Even if you are at the top of the food chain like the Canadian Ambassador doesn't mean you know all the details. Far from it. You probably know less in most cases.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 16 October 2012, 12:29
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Five Romeo View Post
This is going to be a sweetheart come Academy Awards season.
Hollywood loves movies about Hollywood.

Sorry but I think that award is already reserved for Whitney' last movie.

America...a country founded by geniuses but managed by idiots
Old 16 October 2012, 13:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet View Post
Sorry but I think that award is already reserved for Whitney' last movie.
Probably true. The Oscars have become like the Nobel Peace Prize.
Old 16 October 2012, 14:15
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I don't know if I would go that far. I agree that they were taken by surprise. But, everyone was. Not just CIA.

I would say that the CIA was limited in what they could do as all of their people in Tehran got rolled up in the embassy takeover. There were not many options for what they could do directly without going through a proxy, such as Canada. There were a lot of politics involved as Canada needed to maintain their neutral 3rd party appearances for everyone's sake. As such, there was an agreement with CIA that their involvement would stay classified. That was a primary reason that their involvement was downplayed somewhat by Mendez in his first book.

True......but many forms of that documentation and the details within are still classified.

I wouldn't make that claim either. Very few people (if any) can make the claim that they know all the details of what ACTUALLY happened. Everyone sees things from their own points of view. You can bet your ass that the Canadian Ambassador doesn't even know all the details of what ACTUALLY happened. He knows his perspective of what happened, and 1979 was a long time ago. I was involved firsthand on the ground in the effort to find Bowe Bergdahl within hours of the incident. But I would never claim to know all of the details of what actually happened with all of the recovery efforts. Too much happening too fast in too many places and at too many levels. Even if you are at the top of the food chain like the Canadian Ambassador doesn't mean you know all the details. Far from it. You probably know less in most cases.

Well my brother from another mother.

Here is Mendez's point of view..

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...e-of-the-story

While he states, and I admit there are some things that won't be revealed.. It is my understanding then central premise of the movie is how the Americans escaped who were on the run.

There is not much debate on how that happened.. The Americans have given their side, the Canadian staff have given their side, it was all corroborated in the documentaries/previous films etc that have been done.

Reagan gave a medal to Taylor because of what they did. Ben Afleck isn't even disputing the movie is Hollywood.. I believe he explained that they need to make the movie "entertainment" based on a true story, not a true story.

I love America and I am not a CIA basher. However, on a board where we all get up in arms about how fake the Hurt Locker was, or what the truth was about the guy who wrote Jarhead, we want Lone Survivor to be accurate and honor what happened etc, I am a little surprised guys are giving this movie a pass.

There really is not much dispute by even Mendez about what really happened. The shame is that a whole generation will see this movie and think that this is what really happened which discredits those who really did the deeds and distorts history for the sake of entertainment. (Wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last) but I think it is a shame the true heroes are not getting the credit they deserve.

PS: Would an Administrator be able to change the title of the thread to ARGO vice Argon;-)

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer
Old 16 October 2012, 14:48
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sltwtr1
PS: Would an Administrator be able to change the title of the thread to ARGO vice Argon....
The title of the thread is fine -- you found it, so obviously others can as well....

Our new posting rules