SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 8 October 2018, 14:01
Never to old to learn

Thumbs up

Luke, I don't know you but others on the site, do.

For you to come one the site an write what you did, which can be checked out. I would use you, but I have an individual that that has been taken care of my Tax's for years. I use him as he can go before the IRS an plead my case for me.

You have many friends on this site an that counts for a lot to me.

I hope the best for your family an you.

wildman43
Old 8 October 2018, 14:09

Wildman43, thanks for your words. I can't tell you and everyone else on here how much your support means to me. I've always been there without question doing whatever I could for many of the people here. Many of you are my personal friends and I feel fortunate in the extreme to know people that I consider real heroes.
Luckily for the Firm, my license is not needed for the business to carry on and no one can take my knowledge. So life goes on, one way or another. I'll come out of this experience smarter and stronger and it will in no way defines me or the person I will always be in the future. Every word I wrote was the truth, wish I had the balls to go to trial so it could have all come out...
Old 8 October 2018, 14:27
Administrator

Please post an introduction in the introduction area as required to be able to post on this site.
Old 8 October 2018, 14:35

Done, sorry for the oversight. I thought I had done that years ago but must have been remiss. Taken care of now,
Old 8 October 2018, 15:32
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodiebot View Post
I am actually sending my stuff to him today.
Mine a couple days ago.....

So, after reading his side of the story, how many of you who were all "he must be guilty" feel slightly ashamed for putting that much trust in folks who progress forward in their careers based on how many people they can convict by hook or by crook?

And how many people would be willing to sign their names to a letter to the POTUS requesting a pardon? 'cause from what I'm reading, from both sides, that guy got fucked. As he points out, pretty much everything he wrote here could be proved or disproved pretty easily. If they actually cared that is.

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
between the crosses, row on row...."

Last edited by bobofthedesert; 8 October 2018 at 15:46.
Old 8 October 2018, 16:44
Administrator

Stick to the actual subject instead of challenging each other on the law and who would write the president or not.
Old 8 October 2018, 17:36
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Stick to the actual subject instead of challenging each other on the law and who would write the president or not.
Roger that Sir, understood.

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
between the crosses, row on row...."
Old 8 October 2018, 17:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFairfieldCPA View Post
Your posts.
If you are not guilty, may your appeal be quickly successful.
Old 8 October 2018, 18:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
Mine a couple days ago.....

So, after reading his side of the story, how many of you who were all "he must be guilty" feel slightly ashamed for putting that much trust in folks who progress forward in their careers based on how many people they can convict by hook or by crook?

And how many people would be willing to sign their names to a letter to the POTUS requesting a pardon? 'cause from what I'm reading, from both sides, that guy got fucked. As he points out, pretty much everything he wrote here could be proved or disproved pretty easily. If they actually cared that is.
My position still remains. Without reviewing the evidence presented, I tend to err on the side of the state as opposed to the statements made by the defendants. Not saying I’m right, and he very could have been railroaded. However, in any situation similar to this I’d maintain my opinion until I had an opportunity to review the evidence that was presented during discovery, which with a plea I probably wouldn’t have access to. With that being said, regardless of his culpability in this one particular case, I see no reason to not use his firm if it’s still being operated. I’ve heard nothing but goods things about him and his people, and being convicted of a crime doesn’t mean they’re not very capable and successful as CPAs. Just my .02
Old 8 October 2018, 18:18

Thanks all for your opinions and thoughts. There is no good solution to this for me, short of claiming responsibility for the actions done and living with the consequences. I have no perfect method of proving things to anyone, just my words that I see as the truth. I know full well that some people will not be comfortable with me and fully respect that. Based on the increase in business since my indictment 3 years ago, there is still a lot of trust out there.

I will say that the Firm is in business as always and will carry on with or without me. I've trained a lot of good people to do the work over the years and am 100% confident in their knowledge and ability.
Old 8 October 2018, 19:12
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
If you are not guilty, may your appeal be quickly successful.
There are typically no appeals for plea deals.

Luke, I'll echo Wildman. Don't know you and have never had need of your services. But a lot of people around here seem to think highly of you, and making that post took a lot of guts. Grace and peace to you and your family.
Old 9 October 2018, 11:39

Thanks for that thought. I will be fine and feel fortunate to have the support of so many. I know the acceptance of nonsense is very low with your group of people in general so to still be trusted by many after what I have gone through means a lot,
Old 9 October 2018, 11:42
Confirmed User

Luke,

Life sure does send serious curve balls our way. You have taken this to the chest the best way one can. Stand tall sir. Onward and Upward.
Old 9 October 2018, 17:35
Been There Done That

Luke, I appreciate you personally clearing things up on here from your perspective.

You've handled my returns and given me free - excellent - advice on how to handle a complicated family business matter in the past. I have also referred a lot of people your way and all have been pleased with your and your firm's work.

Further, had it not been for you, I would have been in deep trouble with the IRS thanks for my former accountant from 2006 and 2007. It shouldn't be lost on anyone that Luke literally told me:

"What that guy did is borderline criminal. Let's get this stuff ironed out, call the IRS, and send in an amended return".

Thanks to you taking action, I was off the hook and my tax returns have been good to go since.

I hope that you can continue on with your business and remain free to spend time with your kids.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 10 October 2018, 12:00

Well it drives me crazy when I see other CPAs not only taking advantage of you guys but downright giving you advice that can come back to haunt you years after you think you are fine. I have always tried to do the "right" thing for everyone and do the little extras for free. In my legal case, it was the little extras, just a favor here and there over the years that sank me. A learning experience for sure, but more of a life lesson in always trusting friends at their word,
Old 10 October 2018, 17:23
Authorized Personnel

I skipped a year using your service, but you handled a couple years before that for my former business and my personal taxes. I have nothing but good things to say about your service, communication, and end-result. I hope everything works out well.
Old 10 October 2018, 19:10
Policeman Officer

Thanks for telling your side Luke.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 10 October 2018, 21:12

Glad I was able to at least in front of people I respect and work for. Lacking the balls to go to trial, (something Manafort may well regret once he is sentenced, even though you'll notice he didn't have the guts to be retried and has now plead out) there is really no way to communicate my story and my actions without forums like this. So glad its available to me!
Old 11 October 2018, 10:25
Newbie shooter

The law in our country is broken down into two "sides"

That is the actus rea, the action, literally the thing you did, and the mens rea, literally your mind or intent. In order to be guilty of a crime the prosecutor has to prove you both did the action and had "the guilty mind."

I thought when I was in law school I would be fighting cases, defending people who were wrongly accused, etc. The truth is that in almost all of the cases I have taken on the person actually did the action.

For instance sure person a drove person b to a location. That's the act. But were they taking this person there to sell some drugs or did they think they were giving a friend a ride home?

My job is much less about quoting legal speak and Perry mason moments than it is humanizing my clients to the DA and convincing them that there were other factors, extenuating circumstances that should be considered.

Our legal system covers this very well, for instance in my state there are two charges, 10(a) and 10(c) which are both carrying a loaded gun outside your home or business without a license. However a 10(a) has a mandatory 2 year incarceration (18 months in plea) and a 10(c) has no mandatory min and usually ends in suspended time and probation. All cases start as a 10(a) but if you can properly humanize the defendant and they don't have a record of being a shit head many prosecutors will swap the charges.

Of course it doesn't always work out. I'm going to trial Monday on a case for a client. Truthfully I would rather have figured out a sweat heart deal for the client but the evidence is actually pretty good on his side and he refused anything less than a full drop of the charges.

I just received an interesting email from the DA this morning asking me in a round about way if I would consider moving the trial date because he was having trouble getting the required officers there. It sounds like he may either drop the case at the last moment or answer not ready for trial. Mind you this trial date has been scheduled for almost 5 months now.

Luke, I don't know you from a hole in the wall, but having as many members on this place stand up for you as have, both openly and silently I couldn't think of a better representation of character. I deal with all kinds of good people that are forced by circumstances to take plea deals and have even pushed a few to take deals myself. Many won't understand but anyone that has even a passing familiarity with our court system will understand.

I don't know the facts, but I'm guessing you made the right choice for your family and situation. Do whatever the deal is, keep your head down for a few years and get it expunged (or sealed, or whatever is needed) and move on. Spend that time and money you would have spent on lawyer's and in court with your two daughters.

That's the way you win.

- Local
Old 11 October 2018, 11:46

Local

You make great points. At trial they would have needed to prove that I "knew" that my client intended to do illegal acts with the LLC I set up for him for example. This is difficult. Not only because he had both legal and illegal businesses but because I am rarely if ever involved with someone's business once the LLC setup is done. I would have testified strongly I believe. However, it is impossible to prove a negative and that's where fear comes it. I actually did do the "actions" like you so accurately mention has happened in many cases. I did set up LLCs, I did file his tax return and I did invest money for him. Did I know it was from illegal sources? No I did not.
It becomes the prosecutors story against my story with 12 people I don't know and have no faith in deciding. No thanks. Not when seeing my kids grow up might be on the line.
Not surprisingly in my case, they dropped all drug charges and money laundering charges and stuck with 1 racketeering charge. RICO is of course the last result when they can't really pin something specific on you as it simply implies "assisting a criminal enterprise." Again, actions where "intent" is the critical factor...
I think to that being willing to take responsibility is important. I did have business dealings with this client and if they were wrong, I want to be responsible for them. Ignorance of the law is no excuse so if I broke the law, I'll take my punishment and move on with life. It has not and will not define who I am,

Our new posting rules