SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 13 February 2018, 06:26
BTDT

Yup - Plain 'Ole Baking Soda

NaHCO3 has been shown over and over to improve performance in Clinical RCTs. Here's the latest on how to not crap your brains out along with it:

https://suppversity.blogspot.com/201...ahco3-and.html

If you compete/have some sort of physical test to do, give it a read.

More links: https://suppversity.blogspot.com/sea.../baking%20soda
Old 13 February 2018, 08:48
Confirmed User

Polypro,

My instinct on reading this is that it is bad juju to mess with your acid-base balance. When people are acidotic, their respiration’s increase, which is the body’s way to try to bring their acid-base back within range. If the body is alkalotic, it will decrease respirations in an attempt to return to homeostasis. Too severe a case of alkalosis, and you can run into severe respiratory complications and cardiac arrest. It was always stressed to me in my training (just had an acid-base class last week), that metabolic alkalosis is a beast to fight and the most difficult of acid-base complications.

I looked online and the amounts listed in your articles appear to be about twice the recommended dose for most people with heartburn, so maybe it has a minimal effect on the pH balance? You are way more intelligent than me, and I have learned a boatload in your Very Slow Section thread, but this seems to fly in the face of my (limited) medical education. Hopefully some of the medical providers on here will chime in as well. One thing for sure though, I will come out of this smarter.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002749.htm

Last edited by Dogwelder; 13 February 2018 at 08:55.
Old 14 February 2018, 05:58
BTDT

None of the 100+ or so people in the numerous studies on Baking Soda, had any health problems what so ever - neither have I. But if you don't like what you read (all the trials I posted), don't do it. As far as Medline.gov.... Ok... They seem a bit behind the times (science):

Quote:
Limit the number of egg yolks you eat. Two or fewer yolks per week—including yolks in baked goods and in cooked or processed foods. Egg whites contain no fat or cholesterol, so you can eat them often. In most recipes, you can substitute two egg whites for one whole egg.
https://suppversity.blogspot.com/201...normalize.html

https://suppversity.blogspot.com/201...-your-hdl.html

I eat 4 whole eggs/day - my last blood work had me in range for LDL (and I'm on Anastrozole which increases LDL slightly) and my HDL was over 70 IIRC (over 39 is considered good by Labcorp) And that says nothing about Particle Size, which I didn't run as I'm in range, with a 'Wicked Awesome' HDL level. Total Cholesterol was 187, Triglycerides were 48, and the LDL/HDL Ratio was 3.0, which is better than the "1/2 the Average Risk" for CVD (3.4 Labcorp - 5.0 is "Average Risk").

Last edited by Polypro; 14 February 2018 at 08:04.
Old 14 February 2018, 07:30
In Vino Veritas

DAFQ I eat four eggs with breakfast everyday.

The .gov food pyramid, as you know, is hot garbage. LOL, 4 eggs...
Old 14 February 2018, 07:31
Confirmed User

Gotcha. Looking at the calculations, it looks like most people would be giving themelves the equivalent of 1 meq of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). We push units of that in an attempt to offset acidosis in patients in some circumstances, which is why I was like “Huh?” How has the baking soda impacted your work outs? Have you noticed a significant increase in performance?
Old 14 February 2018, 07:46
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
I eat four eggs with breakfast everyday.
They're a GD Superfood! Add Salmon, Coffee, and Cacao (from a supplier that tests heavy metal content - The Cacao plant/tree loves to soak up that crap - *do not* use Hershey) and live forever
Old 14 February 2018, 07:56
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwelder View Post
Have you noticed a significant increase in performance?
Without doing an N=1 trial on myself, after "washing out" off of every single thing I take - I couldn't tell ya... and even then, I'm as susceptible to placebo as these guys:

Quote:
Ariel et. Al. (1972) “Anabolic Steroids: The Physiological Effects of Placebos,” Medicine and Science in Sports, vol. 4, 124–26.

Fifteen male lifters were put on a strength training plan, and were told that the ones who made the best progress during the first phase of training on seated shoulder press, military press, and bench press would be chosen to use steroids for four weeks to evaluate their effects.

So, these guys trained as hard as they could for 4 weeks to get free, legal steroids. The 6 guys who made the best progress gained an average of 11kg between the three lifts, and were selected for the “steroid” trial.

They were told they were being given 10 mg/day of Dianabol, but, in fact, they were given a placebo pill.

So, they made similar gains to the first phase, right? Maybe a little extra because of the placebo effect?

Nope.

They gained an average of 45 kg (about 100 pounds) between their three lifts. They didn’t report the breakdown per lift, but that’s probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 pounds on the bench, and 30 apiece on seated and military press. That’s in contrast to 24 pounds TOTAL in the first four weeks between all three lifts.

All because they THOUGHT they were on Dianobol.
I defer to the data, especially since you can buy 15lb bags for about $7
Old 14 February 2018, 08:29
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
They're a GD Superfood! Add Salmon, Coffee, and Cacao (from a supplier that tests heavy metal content - The Cacao plant/tree loves to soak up that crap - *do not* use Hershey) and live forever
Or that little Three Mile Island “thing”. 85-90% Lindt, 1-2 squares a day
Old 14 February 2018, 13:46
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
None of the 100+ or so people in the numerous studies on Baking Soda, had any health problems what so ever - neither have I. But if you don't like what you read (all the trials I posted), don't do it. As far as Medline.gov.... Ok... They seem a bit behind the times (science):

https://suppversity.blogspot.com/201...normalize.html

https://suppversity.blogspot.com/201...-your-hdl.html

I eat 4 whole eggs/day - my last blood work had me in range for LDL (and I'm on Anastrozole which increases LDL slightly) and my HDL was over 70 IIRC (over 39 is considered good by Labcorp) And that says nothing about Particle Size, which I didn't run as I'm in range, with a 'Wicked Awesome' HDL level. Total Cholesterol was 187, Triglycerides were 48, and the LDL/HDL Ratio was 3.0, which is better than the "1/2 the Average Risk" for CVD (3.4 Labcorp - 5.0 is "Average Risk").
People have been doing this for years successfully (along with glycerin, lol). It's gross, but that's about it.

Our new posting rules