SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 23 July 2019, 07:37
Confirmed User

Roman Empire, Netflix

I enjoyed watching this show. Not sure how factual it was, even with the gentlemen interjecting their history into it. I am under the impression many of the writing of many of these Dictators, and Emperors werent written for some time.
Not to say Caesar wasnt a person to reckon with. He has influenced our world as we know it quite heavily.
Lots of good data came out of it. I did research some after the fact to make it flow better for me.
On a side note, did the term seizure come from Caesar? He apparently did have them.
Anyways, good solid show to watch if you like history.
Old 23 July 2019, 08:27
Been There Done That

hmmm, I think I'll check it out...

thanks
Old 23 July 2019, 17:38
been ***** **** that

I have been checking this out , myself. It is so, so with me. My history of that era was studied in prep school, in Latin. We translated Caesar's Gallic Wars, sophomore year. Cicero , junior year and Virgils Aeneid my senior year. So much of the story line has escaped me all these years, and I have always sucked at History. My attention span is terrible and all my history profs in school did lectures, so you had to take copious amounts of notes.
Old 23 July 2019, 19:05
Confirmed User

I'll check it out.
Some good historical novels are The First Man in Rome series and the Cato & Macro series by Simon Scarrow.
Old 24 July 2019, 00:42
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
On a side note, did the term seizure come from Caesar? He apparently did have them.
No, but Kaiser and Czar did. And Kaiser is how Caesar was pronounced back then.

Alexander also had seizures, as did Kublai Khan’s son, the Crown Prince Zhenjin. Kublai had ordered the immediate death of anyone outside immediate family who witnessed the prince having a seizure, as it was thought to indicate a weakness. Marco Polo became a close friend of the the prince and witnessed a seizure. He came close to being executed, but he managed to convince Kublai that since the great Alexander and Julius Caesar had the condition, it must be a sign of greatness in Zhenjin, too. After Marco and company left, Zhenjin died, so his son succeeded Kublai on his death.

But, I digress...
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 24 July 2019, 10:32
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
No, but Kaiser and Czar did. And Kaiser is how Caesar was pronounced back then.

Alexander also had seizures, as did Kublai Khans son, the Crown Prince Zhenjin. Kublai had ordered the immediate death of anyone outside immediate family who witnessed the prince having a seizure, as it was thought to indicate a weakness. Marco Polo became a close friend of the the prince and witnessed a seizure. He came close to being executed, but he managed to convince Kublai that since the great Alexander and Julius Caesar had the condition, it must be a sign of greatness in Zhenjin, too. After Marco and company left, Zhenjin died, so his son succeeded Kublai on his death.

But, I digress...
Longrifle, you need to change your tagline to SOCNET Historian. I love your history lessons and always look forward to them. Sorry for the hijack....

Our new posting rules