Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 19 September 2017, 12:20
Confirmed User

Georgia Tech Campus Shooting

Question for LEO's out there. It seems that campus police departments do not carry tasers. I work at a midwest University and our police officers do not have tasers. I know of other local commuter campuses that they do not have tasers. Is it a cost thing, training? I am not judging, and I am not a LEO. It just seems from the observation of this video. A taser may have been an option if available. Thanks in advance for any responses. And be safe out there.
Old 19 September 2017, 12:38
Authorized Personnel

That was a great case for the use of a taser. If a university PD doesn't have tasers...people need to push them to buy them. I am against an over reliance on tasers, but there are times where they are the perfect weapon of choice. They aren't that expensive and universities spend way more on paper than they would on tasers.
Old 19 September 2017, 13:07
Authorized Personnel

I would bet it is because, in the court of public opinion, Tasers are medieval torture devices... so the campus police having them is bad.

On the other hand, using a taser against a person with a knife is a good way to get stabbed. If you have 5 officers there and plenty of lethal cover, go ahead and try to use the taser but that would be a case by case basis. Not an idea for a doctrine - "you must always try a taser before shooting someone with a knife" would be fucking stupid.
Old 19 September 2017, 13:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
I would bet it is because, in the court of public opinion, Tasers are medieval torture devices... so the campus police having them is bad.
Hell on my campus they don't hand out speeding tickets. Don't want to get Susie or Johnnie upset and having their parents call the President or Provost to complain about the big bad campus police picking on them. And they do drive like knuckleheads. Sheesh.
Old 19 September 2017, 13:41
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMP View Post
Hell on my campus they don't hand out speeding tickets. Don't want to get Susie or Johnnie upset and having their parents call the President or Provost to complain about the big bad campus police picking on them. And they do drive like knuckleheads. Sheesh.
If that is truly the case, then they shouldn't have weapons at all and let them be "unarmed" guards. That would fix the entire problem. Give people guns...people are liable to get shot by them once-in-a-while.
Old 19 September 2017, 15:43
Confirmed User

I can't speak for University Departments, however we had an incident arise at a local high school last year wherein a student was shot by school PD as he attempted to stab/slash other students. Good shoot start to finish, including judicious marksmanship. Questions followed about why they didn't just tase the kid, and predictable (albeit morbidly stupid) assumptions followed. Taser International themselves advise against the use of the Taser against the elderly or infirm, or against children whose central nervous systems may not yet be fully developed. Well, schools are full of.....say it with me.....kids. So here at least, school PD doesn't carry Tasers. Does that level of thinking apply to administration in college LE administrations? Who knows. Could also be a funding thing, or an image issue where they don't want to appear too aggressive. It would not surprise me in the slightest if in our nations safe spaces, er-uh college campuses, it was the issue of appearing too aggressive.
Old 19 September 2017, 20:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
That was a great case for the use of a taser.
Why do you think that?
Old 19 September 2017, 21:03
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horned Toad View Post
Why do you think that?
From what I saw on the video, there was a barrier between the two of them for a great deal of the time. Also, the officer allowed the guy to get pretty close to him at times which if he did that, something tells me he didn't feel very threatened at that point. I also saw that the guy held the knife down by his side for a good bit of the time and alluded to the fact that he wanted to die. I never saw any serious advancement toward the officer. IMO, the video reveals plenty to show that it was a good situation for a taser to be deployed.

I wasn't there, but I think that from that information, a taser would have been a good instrument to use for that situation.

Last edited by Agoge; 19 September 2017 at 21:09.
Old 19 September 2017, 22:53
Confirmed User

In addition to Agoge's post, Taser deployment is also taught as a cover/contact type of approach. One guy on Taser, one remains lethal cover. In this situation there were (I believe) two officers present who were triangulated on him. I agree that if it were available it would have been a good option, although there is no requirement to meet lethal force with less than lethal force. In the end, sad though it may be, no one other than the student is responsible for his death and all the irrational social media crybabies can jump off a cliff.
Old 19 September 2017, 23:42
Did...did I do that?

25 years ago when I was a college cop in SE Ohio, all we carried was the Nova XR5000. The trustees wouldn't let us carry guns. But they'd never patrol with us at 0300 for some reason...
Old 20 September 2017, 10:31
Confirmed User

I'll find out from our Chief today, but I believe they carry taser's as well here on Campus.
Old 20 September 2017, 10:43
Social Claymore

Another thing to consider..... Tasers are not flawless. They are called less-lethal for a reason.

Cases of excited delirium combined with taser use can still have lethal results.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 20 September 2017, 10:59
Reverse Apache Master

When facing a Deadly Force threat (knife), using Less(than)-Lethal force is a good way to get yourself hurt.

The kid had a knife and advanced on police officers, refusing to heed multiple commands to drop the knife. He was killed. Oh well, sucks to be him.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 20 September 2017, 11:00
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

A few campuses in SoCal had them, but only supervisors- this was in the 90's..I haven't kept up on district cops..
Old 20 September 2017, 11:18
Authorized Personnel

FN303 LTL weapon system is a good weapon that allows 25-50ish meters of stand off distance. Taught this weapon in Astan. It's very reliable and will dent 3/4 inch plywood at 25 meters. The downside is that it operates on compressed air must be maintained routinely, meaning it cannot be just propped up on a corner and ignored until needed....like any other weapon

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_303

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.
Old 2 October 2017, 10:40
Voodoo guru

A friend of mine spent some time working for that PD in particular; and the lack of tasers was a PC thing. They gave off the perception that caused hurt feelings.
Old 5 October 2017, 10:43
Rocket Surgeon

40MM less lethal impact munitions are a great tool with good stand-off for similar situations, if we can plan a response as opposed to just happening upon it (Taser can be the better option there).

Since we switched to a newer technology LLIM round, my team has been 100% successful (4/4 over a year and a half, I believe) in immediately stopping people from doing things that otherwise would have gotten them shot.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 10 October 2017, 09:51
Oppressor of the people

Taser use is going to vary from agency to Agency. As far as specific policy on when they can be used, the same applies. One thing that's been affecting their use is a recent court case out of the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals (Armstrong v. Pinehurst N.C.), where the use of a Taser could be considered excessive force, in certain circumstances, caused a lot of hand wringing around here. Several agencies severely restricted Taser use after the decision came down.

https://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/Opinion...d/151191.P.pdf

http://ncja.ncdoj.gov/Armstrong-v-Vi...Pinehurst.aspx

Our new posting rules