SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 23 July 2014, 18:30
Confirmed User

Some Tyrant trivia: the entire season is filmed in Israel..
Old 23 July 2014, 18:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoepoe View Post
Noticed the Tavor on the episode with the hostage. Looked up the creator/producer.

Seems like it is heading down the soap opera line.

Disappointed as it appeared to have potential. Guess there isn't much room given the subject matter and characters.

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
― Thomas Jefferson
Old 23 July 2014, 20:19
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbsqd View Post

I'm still going to watch mainly because of my time in theater there, but frankly this thing has jumped the shark...
Yeah, it's definitely jumped the shark but I'm still going to watch because the Israeli actress who plays Jamal's wife is fucking hot...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 24 July 2014, 01:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoepoe View Post
IMDB is saying Marrakech as well as Kfar Saba.
Old 24 July 2014, 01:09
War on Christmas veteran

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Yeah, it's definitely jumped the shark but I'm still going to watch because the Israeli actress who plays Jamal's wife is fucking hot...
Yep. She's also got that very prim and proper, neatly manicured and coiffed spoiled rich look that you just want to wreck.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 24 July 2014, 11:00
Custom User Title

I like it. Good story, good look to the show. I like the incorporation of real events and figures from recent history.

Regarding the flag change, I'm guessing that was intentional. Saddam changed their flag in the 90s.
Old 30 July 2014, 00:05
On the Extract Bird

Just watching S1/E6...and learned that President Jamal is married to his cousin. OK...now it's getting more like the ME.
Old 15 September 2016, 15:38
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I've watched several episodes, I simply can't buy the premise as its presented.

Younger brother reluctantly returns home after 20 years of self exile, despotic father dies of a stroke almost immediately after his arrival during a wedding, and then the younger brother remains behind to correct all of the deficiencies in a country teetering on the brink of rebellion and/or civil war.

Right away, he takes the lead while negotiating with a couple of young gunmen who have kidnapped his nephew's new bride, walking right in to where they are holding her and convincing them to surrender. Shortly thereafter, he uncovers the real conspiracy to murder his brother, and convinces him to release the main opposition hours before they are to be executed.

In reality, his naive interference so soon after returning to the cesspool where he grew up (and if I understand it correctly, left the country when only 16, so he really has no understanding of the inner dynamics of either his family or the society he left behind) would probably result in his own untimely death, and perhaps that of his family, pretty soon after he he decided to get involved in the inner politics and unrest.

And there are countless people who would probably do the deed, with his brother Jamal topping the list.

The whole show is simply unbelievable. Could have been good, but IMO it's almost unwatchable.
Old 15 September 2016, 15:54
Life is simple, not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
The whole show is simply unbelievable. Could have been good, but IMO it's almost unwatchable.
Yeah I watched the first 4 episodes when it first came out, and it got less and less interesting.
Old 15 September 2016, 16:32
War on Christmas veteran

The same day the season finale aired recently, the network announced the show was being cancelled.
Good riddance.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 15 September 2016, 17:02
I really don't care

This show jumped the shark the season it started.
Old 15 September 2016, 17:42
Custom User Title

I really enjoyed the world building and some of the acting. I really enjoyed the way it incorporated real events from modern Middle Eastern history.

It had tons of potential but went off the rails pretty quick.
Old 15 September 2016, 17:50
I really don't care

Got tired of the same response to every crisis. American dude would breathe deep and sigh, then say "I'll see what I can do", then go wandering around a violent country alone to save the kingdom.
Old 15 September 2016, 18:15
Administrator

I liked it.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 15 September 2016, 21:56
BTDT

Well, it got better as it went. Season 2 involved an ISIS like group, and Season 3 I thought was good. Still lots of stupid things, but entertaining.

Spoilers Below.

The brother finally got in charge, and did the "American", liberal, "good" thing. Forgave his enemies, brought in democratic elections, refused to take power because that wouldn't be fair......and it all ended up with his daughter dead, his country in a civil war, "ISIS" empowered, the Army basically forcing him to do their bidding in order to maintain their loyalty, he gradually being forced to suspend some rights, eventually believing he "had to" suspend those elections, tightening his grip on power...and ended with him basically becoming a dictator, imprisoning his former democratic allies, fighting a war/stalemate with no end in sight against an Islamic Caliphate, increasingly isolated from his own people and anyone he ever loved. The final shot was the palace staff hoisting a large portrait of him up next to one of his father, who was a Mubarak type dictator for 40 years.
Old 15 September 2016, 23:37
I've got a gun too, mf'er

The American General had the most jacked up uniform in the history of TV, but I actually really enjoyed the show.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 17 September 2016, 10:43
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I think it would have been much better if they had adjusted the timelines a bit, so that instead of being away for 20 years he would have only been gone for maybe 10, and had decided to move back with his American wife and when his children were much younger, perhaps as a doctor with some humanitarian group. And then you could watch their progression as the country really starts to fall apart around them over a period of time.

As it was though, I just couldn't see them jumping right into all of the internal strife and making big decisions right off the bat, after having been there for only 48 hours or so after being gone for 20 years. I can suspend disbelief for just about anything, but this show was just too much of a stretch for me.

I suppose it could be looked at perhaps as some sort of soap opera, only instead of all the intrigue centered around who's cheating on who, or so and so's nefarious business dealings, you're left with weekly cliffhangers as to who is going to get tortured, blown up or deposed.

Maybe I'll just bypass season 1, jump into season 2, which is when some people say the show picked up steam. It all just seemed too contrived for me based on the background of the American characters who get caught up in it all.

Our new posting rules