SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 29 June 2015, 20:39
On the Extract Bird

Fear the Walking Dead (new AMC series by Kirkman)

The creators of WD are coming out with a "prequel/companion" series, Fear the Walking Dead, which is supposed to be coming out in August 2015. It will be set in Los Angeles and will focus on the period before the outbreak and explain how it all happens. One of the blurbs I read said there will be "no episodes set in the woods".

This is from IMDB:

What did the world look like as it was transforming into the horrifying apocalypse depicted in "The Walking Dead"? This spin-off set in Los Angeles, following new characters as they face the beginning of the end of the world, will answer that question.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3743822/

Looking forward to this series, as I never read the comics.

Last edited by cspillk9; 29 June 2015 at 20:45.
Old 29 June 2015, 20:48
Shakin' the bush Boss

My wife is bananas over that walking dead shit. I can pretty much do without it.
Old 29 June 2015, 20:49
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Really hoping it lives up to the standard set bt TWD
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 29 June 2015, 20:52
Freelancer

I like Z Nation show makes me laugh.
Old 4 July 2015, 09:30
All Star Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I like Z Nation show makes me laugh.
^^This!!

I'm a zombie show fan so I've really enjoyed the hokiness of it all. It is entertaining but doesn't take itself too seriously.

As for FWD, I'm pretty stoked. It will give me a (hopefully) decent show to watch until TWD is back on. I really enjoy the cable shows that have been coming out in recent years. They are much better written than the those for network TV. I'll sacrifice fewer episodes in favor of better stories, and better characters.
Old 4 July 2015, 15:55
War on Christmas veteran

So long as they don't live in tents, pick the stupidest cars to use, fail to clear and secure houses they walk into, and fight zombies while wearing sleeveless shirts... I'll give it a chance.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 4 July 2015, 15:59
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Five Romeo View Post
So long as they don't live in tents, pick the stupidest cars to use, fail to clear and secure houses they walk into, and fight zombies while wearing sleeveless shirts... I'll give it a chance.
Said to be set in L.A. and will not have any episodes "in the woods". Will also "take advantage of the varied immigration and ethnic make-up of L.A.", whatever that means. Looking forward to it.
Old 4 July 2015, 16:12
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspillk9 View Post
Said to be set in L.A. and will not have any episodes "in the woods". Will also "take advantage of the varied immigration and ethnic make-up of L.A.", whatever that means. Looking forward to it.
Crips, Bloods, and MX Mafia V. Zombies? That should be interesting to watch!
Old 4 July 2015, 17:47
Another pool cleaner

I dare FWD to have a zombie Rodney King getting beaten.

C'mon, AMC, story matters here.

Too soon?
Old 4 July 2015, 21:59
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspillk9 View Post
And it's got Cliff Curtis in it(Kiwi actor from Once Were Warriors).

Cliff Curtis has been in bloody near everything playing Latino gang banger, drug cartel lord, random Arab terrorist bad guy, random Arab good guy, etc.

I agree with being frustrated by the silly/poor choices over years.

It would be good to see the characters making some basic critical mistakes that result in some good guy deaths, but that they slowly learn from them to survive.

Hopefully they kill off characters as mercilessly as Game of Thrones.

It would be good to see some folks getting killed off from things like dehydration(LA drought)/heat stroke/simple infection or dealing with a compound fracture rather than a zombie bite.

LA has got to be one of the very worst places(best in terms of writing exciting and very real risks) to be for a zombie outbreak.

Hopefully it doesn't suck.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 5 July 2015, 06:15
Overseas Gunplumber

The L.A decision is probably the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time. What are they going to fight back with? Trash can lids and baseball bats?

They should have picked somewhere where there are lots of guns and people that aren't afraid to use them. Phoenix would have been a perfectly suitable locale. Had they not been killed, the heat would have melted them into little piles.

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC
Old 5 July 2015, 11:47
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgunz View Post
The L.A decision is probably the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time. What are they going to fight back with? Trash can lids and baseball bats?

They should have picked somewhere where there are lots of guns and people that aren't afraid to use them. Phoenix would have been a perfectly suitable locale. Had they not been killed, the heat would have melted them into little piles.
Or, we will see better action than the same old bullshit in WD where the good guys never miss. And maybe there will be better plot lines than a starving and dehydrating band of humans who are about to die off until a pack of dogs show up and it suddenly rains.
Old 5 July 2015, 11:50
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Five Romeo View Post
Z Nation is for you then.
Old 5 July 2015, 12:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
I dare FWD to have a zombie Rodney King getting beaten.

C'mon, AMC, story matters here.

Too soon?
I was thinking more along the lines of cameo appearances from Rappers Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, and Ice Cube. Tupac and Easy E. can play the Zombies!
Old 5 July 2015, 12:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgunz View Post

Hmmm, there are a lot of guns in CA (and they ain't afraid to use them either). Don't let the states daffy reputation fool you. Given the states large population 37 million I would wager there are more firearms in CA than in any other state. However, thanks to the high capacity magazine ban (10 round limit) they will be reloading more often. But in a zombie apocalypse there should be plenty available. Even, the assault weapons ban is a real joke. If you want one you can get one (legally too) thanks the many loopholes in the poorly written law. Bottom line is there is plenty of bang in CA to make FWD.
Old 5 July 2015, 16:53
Freelancer

Would be nice to see Kim K get that big ass bit off lol.
Old 5 July 2015, 19:41
Overseas Gunplumber

I was born and raised in greater L.A. The only people not afraid to use them are the police and criminals. Everyone else, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAT View Post
Hmmm, there are a lot of guns in CA (and they ain't afraid to use them either). Don't let the states daffy reputation fool you. Given the states large population 37 million I would wager there are more firearms in CA than in any other state. However, thanks to the high capacity magazine ban (10 round limit) they will be reloading more often. But in a zombie apocalypse there should be plenty available. Even, the assault weapons ban is a real joke. If you want one you can get one (legally too) thanks the many loopholes in the poorly written law. Bottom line is there is plenty of bang in CA to make FWD.

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC
Old 6 July 2015, 14:45
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
My wife is bananas over that walking dead shit. I can pretty much do without it.
I watched the first 3 or 4 episodes and declared it one of the dumber shows I've ever seen for the reasons B5R listed and more.
Old 8 July 2015, 08:27
Authorized Personnel

I am a fan of TWD and cant wait for the spin off. Maybe I am a fan of the show since I...

A) Never read the comic books.
B) Do not watch it for the tactics.
C) Think there is some good humor and one liners(may not be funny to others)

D) Watch it to see how the "survivors" react to their society failing apart and do not watch it for the zombies.

The biggest question the show asks is "how far will you go to protect the ones you love" when society fails. To answer that question Rick Grimes states "I was wondering how many of you I would have to kill to save your lives".

America...a country founded by geniuses but managed by idiots
Old 23 August 2015, 10:44
On the Extract Bird

Just a reminder the pilot episode is on tonight!

Our new posting rules