SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 1 October 2019, 08:38
Been There Done That

This retired Army Ranger has ALS-that's not stopping him from training the next gener

I go this today from John Cullinan (B\2\75th 75-79)

MILTON, Fla. (WEAR) - An Army Ranger Hall of Famer is defying the odds, training the next generation while battling ALS, a disease that affects around 20,000 Americans.

Sergeant Tim Spayd enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1978 and soon found himself in Ranger School, a 62-day combat course with rigorous training, similar to what Navy Seals endure.

"I originally wanted to sign up to be a Seal," Spayd said. "But the Army Ranger recruiting table was right next to it and I saw soldiers jumping out of helicopters and doing intense stuff and I knew that's what I wanted to do."

The Rangers are a Tier One military unit, meaning Spayd could not share much about his classified missions, but he did share that he was part of Operation Eagle Claw in 1980. This was a US operation ordered by President Jimmy Carter as an attempt to end the Iran Hostage Crisis by rescuing 52 embassy staff held captive in Tehran.

"I can't say much other than that," Spayd said. "But the brotherhood that comes with being a Ranger is unlike anything I ever experienced."

Now Spayd is facing a new battle, ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. It's a progressive disease that affects the nerve cells in the brain and spinal chord. Spayd says he was diagnosed in 2012 after years of symptoms.

"I have the slow progression, which is a blessing," Spayd said. "I've been in ALS meetings where the bulbar region gets affected and those guys are gone in two to four years."

Spayd is not letting the disease define him. He has helped train 61 classes of Rangers, completing the rigorous training again and again.

"As a training instructor, we go through everything a ranger student goes through," Spayd said. "If they're wet, we're wet. We're walking through the swamps right along with them."

This act of perseverance is one reason why Spayd was inducted to the Ranger Hall of Fame this year.

"You feel like you don't deserve it," Spayd said. "There's so many guys that are giving their life, the ultimate sacrifice."

Spayd will be back at Eglin Air Force Base next week training with the next class of future Rangers. His motto is "Never Quit," a lesson he shares with many others in the community also battling terminal diseases.
Old 1 October 2019, 08:55
been ***** **** that

This is pretty incredible and humbling! I am honored to have chewed just a small bit of common ground as so many of you!
Old 1 October 2019, 10:15
Been There Done That

Anyone here know him? If so, get him on Socnet.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 1 October 2019, 10:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Anyone here know him? If so, get him on Socnet.
I'll second that.
Old 1 October 2019, 11:21
Confirmed User

My buddy and I ran into him at an airport on the way to FL about 2 weeks ago. Chatted for a while while we waited to board our flight and he showed us some of the pics where he’s out there with the Ranger School students. Pretty cool guy; seemed like he genuinely loved everything he was doing.

Our new posting rules