SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 1 October 2019, 12:24
Did...did I do that?

Former Dallas officer guilty of murder

Amber Guyger is the former officer who walked into an unlocked apartment thinking it was her own, and shot the guy she saw in the apartment. He was eating ice cream in his own living room.

She claimed she thought it was her apartment, despite the red welcome mat in front of the door, that she didn't have. It was the apartment immediately above hers.

She admitted during testimony that she was distracted by calls or texts from her boyfriend, as well as being tired from a 14-hour shift.

At some point, the judge said the jury could consider castle doctrine as a defense. Not sure how that works when you're not allowed to be where you were.

Here's the link to Dallas Morning News breaking coverage. Lots of other coverage can be found.
Old 1 October 2019, 12:40
Clorox bearer for SOTB

The new poster child for situational awareness.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 1 October 2019, 16:15
killjoy

A big problem for her was when she was on the stand and admitting her intent when shooting was to "kill" rather than "stop the threat". I had assumed all officers are trained in legal speak during the academy, perhaps she was asleep that day.
Old 1 October 2019, 16:18
Red Headed Stepchild

Remember reading about this right after it happened. My google fu is notoriously shitty, but I haven't been able to find anything about what happened between when she opened the door and when she pulled the trigger? Did he go for a gun or anything, or did she just smoke him?
Old 1 October 2019, 16:25
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post

Remember reading about this right after it happened. My google fu is notoriously shitty, but I haven't been able to find anything about what happened between when she opened the door and when she pulled the trigger? Did he go for a gun or anything, or did she just smoke him?
Dude was sitting on his couch, watching a football game on his tv, eating a bowl of fucking ice cream.

Fuck her...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."

Last edited by Shadow; 1 October 2019 at 16:36.
Old 1 October 2019, 16:28
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Dude was sitting on his couch, watching a football game on his tv, eating a bowl of fucking ice cream.

Fuck her...
yep. She can cry into her pillow at night in her jail cell while some huge ass butch, makes her, her bitch
Old 1 October 2019, 16:29
been ***** **** that

This whole deal reeks of something other than just plain waking up eating a bowl of dumbass and being tired from a long shift!
Old 1 October 2019, 17:12
Been There Done That

Isn't there supposed to be a malicious intent attached to "murder" vs some kind of "negligent homicide"?

Might be a Texas penal code thing but while she's a fucking idiot, I don't think she was looking to walk into the wrong apartment and smoke the dude.

Either ways, ignorance isn't a viable defense and neither is being stupid. What irks me about this one is that this one sticks. With all the cops who had bad shoots and got off scot-free, it seems ridiculous to convict her on murder.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 1 October 2019, 17:23
Been There Done That

Neighbors said they had had a relationship, that she beat on his door and yelled, but prosecutors couldn’t get reliable witnesses on the stand.

She worked a double (14hrs) and had been texting with her ex-partner current buddy (married, not to her) on the way home. Texted him post shoot about how she’d messed up while talking to 911.

Entry wound was top of the chest down through his to near his spine lower, as if he was sitting/cowering when shot, in contradiction to her testimony.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 1 October 2019, 17:25
been ***** **** that

I just caught a few glimpses of the trial testimony. Not knowing anything about this situation , other than what the media spins, she seemed legitimately distraught on camera!
Old 1 October 2019, 17:44
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post

...it seems ridiculous to convict her on murder.
She got on the stand and told the jury that she intentionally shot him with the intention of killing him.

She obviously didn't think that cunning legal strategy all the way through...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 1 October 2019, 17:58
Been There Done That

It's the shot that you don't take that matters the most. The easy ones make themselves happen.

What a way to go. Her intent was malicious as the dude was clearly not a threat. She went straight to lethal force and admitted that her intent was to kill.
Old 1 October 2019, 17:59
Skandalon

Quote:
She got on the stand and told the jury that she intentionally shot him with the intention of killing him.

It's the truth....
Old 1 October 2019, 18:00
Been There Done That

Justice.

Another “diversity” hire?
Old 1 October 2019, 19:04
Confirmed User

The judge put a gag order on the attorneys, but the DA had a press conference. The judge pretty much crapped herself. I wonder if the defense can use that as grounds for appeal.
Old 1 October 2019, 20:21
Been There Done That

Quote:

Ok, I’ll play along.

Scenario A:

I walked into my apartment and see someone there. I may make the decision to “intentionally shoot that person with the intent of killing them”. I tend not to shoot someone with any other intent.

Oops, it was the wrong apartment.

Scenario B:

I knowingly walk into my neighbors apartment, see him, and put a couple rounds into him.

Not so oops.

Is there any reason to believe that she intended to murder her neighbor? Or that this was a home invasion? Or is this simply a blanket all “you kill someone under any circumstances and it’s Murder” legal definition in Texas?

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 1 October 2019, 21:01
killjoy

Is there a duty to retreat in Texas? You open the door, see someone there, but you are free to simply turn around and run, yet you don't, therefore you're in trouble?
Old 1 October 2019, 21:08
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
A big problem for her was when she was on the stand and admitting her intent when shooting was to "kill" rather than "stop the threat".
Of course if killing is a byproduct of stopping the threat then it is fine.

Self-deception is the worst kind of deception.

No hit on you Look. Don'tTouch., more a hit on a society that is so weak that it demands this fig leaf.

- Stan

"An increasingly lonely man, Patton felt that his was the voice of truth in a wilderness of indifference." -Carlo D'Este

"Two letters and two well placed rounds is the only difference between victim or victor." -Mingo Kane

"Life is forced upon the living without their prior consultation." -Me

"I know it upsets you, but the purpose of the game is to perpetuate the game." -Me
Old 1 October 2019, 21:30
Been There Done That

What sentence is she looking at?
Old 1 October 2019, 21:51
justauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
she seemed legitimately distraught on camera!
I think anyone would facing a murder conviction.

If it was anyone else and not a cop this thread wouldn’t exist. They’d have been fried in the chair without a single peep or anyone not associated with the case even knowing.

I’d take more of an issue with her being acquitted, as that could have been me eating my fucking Cherry Garcia watching the Cardinals take a beating. Fuck it, lock her up. Whether just stupid or malicious, the jury made the right call.

RIP dude who got blasted, justice has been served.

Our new posting rules