SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 23 January 2009, 14:11
Wrapped in the comfort of dark waters

The Secret War against Iran

Now talk about required reading! If there is any book that should be required it is this book. I just finish reading it 2 times!

The author is Ronen Bergman who is an Israeli investigative journalist. A lot of the information contained in this book is shall we say.........shocking to say the least. Those of you who work in this interesting field will find it overwhelming.

How did he get away writing some of the contents Ill never know, I can only say, I read it in 3 days and had to read it a second time. It will amaze you, nay, it will freaking shock you and I guarantee you will never see certain public figures the same again.

There is a reason those public faces are on the cover of the book.

I give this book the WTF thumbs up!
Old 25 January 2009, 00:35

this one http://www.thesecretwarwithiran.com/
Old 25 January 2009, 06:01

Exactly the one, thanks.
Old 1 March 2009, 15:17
What the F@%* do I know??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu6 View Post
Now talk about required reading! If there is any book that should be required it is this book.
Zulu 6 is SPOT ON...

This book is one of the most informative books I have read in awhile. It covers the history of many things happing in the Middle East as we speak. It should be required reading for anyone working in the SOF community or the Intel community. Having lived in the region off and on for last 9 yrs, Ronen goes into relationships that were forged in the late 70's and early 80's that are shaping the Middle East now, and it is F&^%'en scary. What is even scarier is our leaders are meeting with some of these folks on a daily basis. IMO it is an excellent example of how we never learn from our mistakes..
D
This then, is what allows me—knowing your high Standards for quality, reliability and excellence—to offer you my services. I'm experienced, highly skilled, and silent professional who prefers to plan, train, and support in such a manner that precludes or prevents risks rather than attempting to control them—in a reactionary manner . . .
Old 1 March 2009, 19:59
Been There Done That

another good book is "The Looming Towers" can't remember the authers name, I read it over a year ago. Its basically the history of Al Quada and the Muslim Brotherhood.
Old 2 March 2009, 02:18

180A,
IMHO Both those books should be required reading for all xrays in your neck of the woods before ever deploying.
D
This then, is what allows me—knowing your high Standards for quality, reliability and excellence—to offer you my services. I'm experienced, highly skilled, and silent professional who prefers to plan, train, and support in such a manner that precludes or prevents risks rather than attempting to control them—in a reactionary manner . . .
Old 2 March 2009, 03:37
Confirmed User

Reading it now. About a third of the way through the book and enjoying it immensely. Anyone know how accurate this book is? Any reason not to believe all of it?

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 2 March 2009, 11:14
Custom User Title

I'm just about done. It's very interesting to read about the early days of Hezbollah and post Shah Iran. Apparently Khomeini considered WMDs un-Islamic and Iran started their program in response to Saddam using chem warfare against them.
Old 2 March 2009, 12:33

Jong,
I have a few friends in the region that have confirmed a number of things and the time lines that the book talks about. I have had discussions with a number of locals and guys I know who have worked in an official capacity in this region around that same time line. The one thing that is common with all is the same story. There is a dynamic in this part of the world that even after 9 yrs of being here almost every day it is still very hard to understand. One day your friend is your enemy the next day your enemy is your friend, times that by 20+ Sect and then add in the sub Sect and you have a scary combination of allies. That is why the book is so dame scary.

From what I know it is dame close to 100% accurate +/- 10%
D
Old 2 March 2009, 12:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodown View Post
Jong,
I have a few friends in the region that have confirmed a number of things and the time lines that the book talks about. I have had discussions with a number of locals and guys I know who have worked in an official capacity in this region around that same time line. The one thing that is common with all is the same story. There is a dynamic in this part of the world that even after 9 yrs of being here almost every day it is still very hard to understand. One day your friend is your enemy the next day your enemy is your friend, times that by 20+ Sect and then add in the sub Sect and you have a scary combination of allies. That is why the book is so dame scary.

From what I know it is dame close to 100% accurate +/- 10%
D
Thanks for the info. Going to make the book even better knowing that there is a lot of truth to it.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 2 March 2009, 21:24
Been There Done That

I am going to have to add this book to my list. I have 10 waiting on me now, shit I need to get busy and finish this other book.
Old 3 March 2009, 05:19
Been There Done That

Keenie Meenie lives on. Ordering through Amazon. Thanks Zulu6.
Old 3 March 2009, 13:01
Confirmed User

Reading it also now and really enjoying it. he has a more recent book called "The Point of No Return" about the Iranian nuclear program. This is only published in Hebrew at the moment though, i'll let you know if/when i see it in English.

H
Old 3 March 2009, 20:14
Custom User Title

What, no translation?
Old 30 March 2009, 22:59
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

I'm always a little suspicious of books describing something supposedly secret. If it is so secret, then how is there a book about it on Amazon? If it was secret 40 years ago and now the truth can be told, the book might be legit, but if it supposedly describes ongoing stuff, either the title is a farce because no secret is being kept, or the content of the book is just giraffe crap - stuff that has fallen so far from the original source that its final form bears no resemblance to how it started out.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 30 March 2009, 23:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
I'm always a little suspicious of books describing something supposedly secret. If it is so secret, then how is there a book about it on Amazon? If it was secret 40 years ago and now the truth can be told, the book might be legit, but if it supposedly describes ongoing stuff, either the title is a farce because no secret is being kept, or the content of the book is just giraffe crap - stuff that has fallen so far from the original source that its final form bears no resemblance to how it started out.
In the past, Israeli priorities have sometimes differed with those of the US and/or Europe enough to expose some information that otherwise would have remained secret. While this fact is no guarantee that this book is completely accurate, I can certainly see how Israel might want to shine some light on Iranian issue. I look closely at the history of the author. Some have a history of being accurate while others like Seymour Hersh have been found to use sources of 'misinformation'.
Old 31 March 2009, 00:00
JDAM
Visitor

Iraq on one side, Afghanistan on the other...Iran sitting right in the middle raising hell.

Looks to be a great read, I'm getting a copy for sure.
Old 4 April 2009, 23:56
DBG

Added to my ever growing Amazon wish list. Thank you.
Old 5 April 2009, 07:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
Reading it now. About a third of the way through the book and enjoying it immensely. Anyone know how accurate this book is? Any reason not to believe all of it?
lets just say content in this book SHOULD NOT be ignored.

Tracy,
Brother anytime!

Tangodown
Glad your enjoying it.

Last edited by Zulu6; 5 April 2009 at 08:00.
Old 5 April 2009, 09:52

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu6 View Post
lets just say content in this book SHOULD NOT be ignored.
Zulu 6
I could not agree more, it sheds a SPOT LIGHT on many things going on!!!!
D

Our new posting rules