SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 10 February 2018, 19:43
Been There Done That

Which is why... ultimately... inevitably... I give these new formations a half-life of about 3-4 years. Other things will take priority and they'll be downsized or discarded. Much as the Lightfighter Infantry concept of yesteryear.

It's not that there isn't a need, but that there'll be little institutional patronage for the SFABs (either in the Army or Congress) during future hard fought budget battles. Or seriously attritional real ones.
Old 10 February 2018, 19:48
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomy View Post
Which is why... ultimately... inevitably... I give these new formations a half-life of about 3-4 years. Other things will take priority and they'll be downsized or discarded. Much as the Lightfighter Infantry concept of yesteryear.

It's not that there isn't a need, but that there'll be little institutional patronage during future hard fought budget battles. Or seriously attritional real ones.
I concur. We have a poor span of attention these days.
Old 10 February 2018, 22:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJurena View Post
It's like the damn high and tight issue, CSM Birch had the stroke to implement what many of us had been yelling about for years. Seems the Boys have adapted to that change quite well.
One of the greatest men I've ever met and someone I still reach out to regularly for advice. Had it not been for Ironhead god knows what the GWOT would have looked like for the Regiment.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 11 February 2018, 00:12
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomy View Post

It's not that there isn't a need, but that there'll be little institutional patronage for the SFABs (either in the Army or Congress) during future hard fought budget battles. Or seriously attritional real ones.
or sucked into SOCOM some how, lots of new CSM/LTC/COL slots would suddenly be available.
Old 11 February 2018, 00:53
Been There Done That

I said elsewhere

I think by the time the last active BDE gets fielded, they'll be disbanded to plus up conventional combat arms units to focus on near-peer threats.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 11 February 2018, 15:55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
That's the ugliest thing I've ever seen. It looks like a Pterodactyl took a shit on his head.
I disagree.... (MultiNation Forces and Observers)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3638074_orig.jpg (14.2 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg 5912655_ori.jpg (14.9 KB, 353 views)

Loved by few, judged by many
Old 11 February 2018, 16:27
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
Lightfighter Infantry concept of yesteryear.
Yep, and then Desert Storm came and went and it was gone like a fart in the wind.
Old 11 February 2018, 16:41
Been There Done That

I'd rather wear an old OD patrol cap any day.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 12 February 2018, 02:10
Calix Meus Inebrians

Lost in the debate on what type of headgear they're being issued for garrison activities, is the fact that the 1st SFAB will just be the latest coat of paint we slap onto the rusting hulk of a war we're anchored to in Afghanistan.

I'm in congruence that conventional troops can be organized and tasked as trainers, and that they could do the job well enough. But I don't see an brigade level command for such making any headway in Afghanistan.
Old 12 February 2018, 07:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I'm not getting too wrapped around the axle on this one, for the following reasons:

1) There is far more demand for theater security cooperation than SOF can handle, and much of it does not require SOF. We have been using a hodgepodge of GPF forces to execute a lot of it, which degrades the GPF element's readiness and ability to conduct their true mission set. I think the SFAB is a good concept, if executed properly.
2) It is difficult to attract good personnel to a new and untested concept, and for good reason. If the new and untested concept doesn't gain traction, folks that volunteered for it suffer career consequences (see the AF-PAK hands program, any version of the multiple failed Warrior Transition Units). Guess what...uniform bling can attract folks to come give it a try.
3) Hats. I can't get excited about hats. In the Army, I've had a black hat for a while, then a maroon hat for a brief time, and, for the last 22 years, a green hat. Hats. They don't make the man, so they can give the SFAB any hat they want. The SFAB will succeed or fail based on a bunch of factors...and the hat is not one of them.

I have a notoriously cynical outlook...and I wholeheartedly support the SFAB concept, and their hats.
Well said. To add, the beret matches the one that 6 SOS is starting to wear, as well. So it makes sense from a security cooperation side of things.
Old 12 February 2018, 09:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
I disagree.... (MultiNation Forces and Observers)
I wore the UN beret for 6 months in the early 80's. Didn't like it either.

Old 12 February 2018, 10:00
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
Well said. To add, the beret matches the one that 6 SOS is starting to wear, as well. So it makes sense from a security cooperation side of things.
Splitting hairs, I know - the CAA beret is a darker shade called "charcoal brown" (at least the flash isn't crazy big like SFAB's appears to be, lol).

Just for background:

The CAA beret got it's kickstart in July 2017 when President Trump was presented with a prototype after a meeting at the White House to discuss FID activities in Afghanistan.

The SFAB beret was still green at that point; I'm fairly certain that once SFAB was switched to brown there was no attempt at deconfliction from the Air Force or CAA community.

http://www.afsoc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/article/1410562/quiet-professionals-don-brown-beret/

Old 12 February 2018, 13:07
Been There Done That

Just what we need more parades, more berets, more uniforms, more patches, and of course more badges!
No time for training and of course no more wars!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EFNY34V275HGNB5C55AZ7GXONI-1.jpg (41.2 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg QRJXVNCBXRGEJB2RXNYHROSXRE.jpg (50.0 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg KSPY2RHWEZGXNMSYYEAVQKQQWU.jpg (27.2 KB, 249 views)
Old 12 February 2018, 13:19
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by agonyea View Post
Just what we need more parades, more berets, more uniforms, more patches, and of course more badges!
No time for training and of course no more wars!

Despite your sarcasm, you are getting at the core of the issue, which is that Army leadership (and the rest of the military and associated elected and appointed officials) need to figure out what the priorities are, and focus on funding and accomplishing those...sounds simple, but apparently is far from it.
Old 12 February 2018, 23:56
Been There Done That

You mean something liking finding out what the mission is before task organizing?

Old 13 February 2018, 01:28
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
You mean something liking finding out what the mission is before task organizing?
Heresy!
Old 13 February 2018, 06:34
BTDT

At least the patch looks better than these guys'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milita...Advisory_Group
Old 13 February 2018, 13:25

We've got ODAs that would give anything to deploy to a war zone and do SFA. Instead they will have to sit back and watch their brothers fight and die while they are sent on a Nordic skiing "deployment". Meanwhile the new SFAB gets to deploy soon to the stan for missions that should be filled by ODAs only.

Everybody wants to be an ODA these days, Marsoc, seals. Will ranger bn add FID to their high speed FM??

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
Old 13 February 2018, 13:47
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperdeep View Post
We've got ODAs that would give anything to deploy to a war zone and do SFA. Instead they will have to sit back and watch their brothers fight and die while they are sent on a Nordic skiing "deployment". Meanwhile the new SFAB gets to deploy soon to the stan for missions that should be filled by ODAs.
You know this already, but Iíll remind you. That is a result of policy decisions, etc on regional engagement. Even if SFAB did not exist, TSC deployments for SF would continue, and the AF missions would not be filled.

The guys stuck skiing in Norway, well, would they rather be back watching mud dry in Mali?
Old 13 February 2018, 13:48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperdeep View Post
Will ranger bn add FID to their high speed FM??

Nope. I don't ever see that happening. They have done some "Mentor" stuff in AFG but very mission specific. Not something that would be part of their METL. I think they will continue doing what they do best, kicking down doors and putting bodies on the floor.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top

Our new posting rules