SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 15 May 2019, 13:27
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post

If I haven't mentioned it lately, there is something very wrong with you sub guys.
There are many good reasons why they're called "bubbleheads"...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 16 May 2019, 00:13
Life is simple, not easy.

Okay that second episode freaked me out. The discussion about using 5,000 tons of boron and sand flown near the reactor using 1,000's of drops worried me. Then the female professor got involved and determined the tanks were full of water, not empty like previously thought, and then she explained what would happen if they exploded. Wow!
Old 16 May 2019, 00:38
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
Okay that second episode freaked me out. The discussion about using 5,000 tons of boron and sand flown near the reactor using 1,000's of drops worried me. Then the female professor got involved and determined the tanks were full of water, not empty like previously thought, and then she explained what would happen if they exploded. Wow!
Most of the airdropped stuff actually missed the target and randomly bombarded the surrounding interior structures already weakened by the initial blast and fire. Even after welding plates to the underbelly of the helicopters' cockpits and putting lead wool cushions on the seats, only one of the helicopter pilots survived, and he endured a long series of blood transfusions, bone marrow transplants, and painful treatments.

When they did smother the fire, the trapped heat became a problem along with the potential collapse of the bombarded area into the basement. The idea for the sarcophagus was born from the fear that the whole building would finish collapsing and would send up a big poof of radioactive fallout.

A tunnel was dug to pump stabilizing concrete under the damaged area along with piping for water from the river to remove heat. After killing a whole lot of miners, the tunnel was never finished, and when engineers later looked into completing it they found that it was off target and wasn't actually headed in the right direction anyway.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 16 May 2019, 08:24
Life is simple, not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
A tunnel was dug to pump stabilizing concrete under the damaged area along with piping for water from the river to remove heat. After killing a whole lot of miners, the tunnel was never finished, and when engineers later looked into completing it they found that it was off target and wasn't actually headed in the right direction anyway.
I am not smart enough to know how to handle this situation but it did freak me out last night.

The three water tanks were thought to be empty but the female physicist promptly educated the professor (Lasarov?) that the pools flooding into the tanks, coupled with the firemen flooding the area with water from their hoses constantly, would have filled the tanks. Next, she says the molten lava-like substance created by the boron/sand mix dropped on the core would seep into those tanks and instantly heat up the water and cause a massive thermal explosion - something about 2-4 megatons.

Then a secondary "shock wave" explosion would render land uninhabitable 200KM from the site, affecting multiple nations for 100's of years. I might have some of these details wrong because I watched this last night, but even knowing this didn't happen I was taken back by the sheer devastation that could come within 48 hours.

Me last night:
Old 16 May 2019, 08:50
Make a desert and call it peace.

2-4 megatons? Nonsense. I think the movie idiots are adding the magic female character for propaganda purposes, as per SOP. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 16 May 2019, 10:32

^Hahaha, I was thinking literally the same but refrained from saying so.

This is still a really good show, IMO. I am still petrified as I watch this entire thing because radiation scares the absolute living shit out of me.

Old 16 May 2019, 10:35
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
^Hahaha, I was thinking literally the same but refrained from saying so.

This is still a really good show, IMO. I am still petrified as I watch this entire thing because radiation scares the absolute living shit out of me.

LOL. I was thinking the same thing.

It's like the gunfight scene in Titanic. Really? Hitting an iceberg in the middle of the North Atlantic isn't scary enough?
Old 16 May 2019, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
2-4 megatons? Nonsense. I think the movie idiots are adding the magic female character for propaganda purposes, as per SOP. S/F....Ken M
Agree on the female character. To my knowledge, the only female who played an important role at the site was a lady who was working at the Chernobyl-5 construction site when the blast occurred and helped organize some of the response teams arriving so the place didn't become a hopeless traffic jam on top of the worst debris fields. She may represent someone from the Kurchatov Institute I never heard about.

As for the 2-4 megatons, I think the producers may have corrupted (maybe through ignorance, maybe in search of hype) a statement of a legitimate concern. Obviously there wasn't going to be an explosion that big from anything there, regardless of how it got combined. However, just the smoke and ash cloud that came out of the burning core before the helicopters extinguished it a month later released 200 times the airborne radioactivity as the mushroom clouds over Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined. Perhaps what was intended but corrupted by the movie was a statement that an accidentally induced steam explosion that could blow all of the radioactive substances remaining on site into the atmosphere could produce fallout similar to that from a 2 megaton warhead explosion. I don't have any way of knowing if the math on that would work out, but that's the only way the character's words make any sense to me other than the script just straight up Hollywooding it.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 16 May 2019, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
Agree on the female character. To my knowledge, the only female who played an important role at the site was a lady who was working at the Chernobyl-5 construction site when the blast occurred and helped organize some of the response teams arriving so the place didn't become a hopeless traffic jam on top of the worst debris fields. She may represent someone from the Kurchatov Institute I never heard about.

As for the 2-4 megatons, I think the producers may have corrupted (maybe through ignorance, maybe in search of hype) a statement of a legitimate concern. Obviously there wasn't going to be an explosion that big from anything there, regardless of how it got combined. However, just the smoke and ash cloud that came out of the burning core before the helicopters extinguished it a month later released 200 times the airborne radioactivity as the mushroom clouds over Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined. Perhaps what was intended but corrupted by the movie was a statement that an accidentally induced steam explosion that could blow all of the radioactive substances remaining on site into the atmosphere could produce fallout similar to that from a 2 megaton warhead explosion. I don't have any way of knowing if the math on that would work out, but that's the only way the character's words make any sense to me other than the script just straight up Hollywooding it.
I'll be attending an NWO course later this year and I'll have to remember to ask some of the eggheads this question.
Old 16 May 2019, 14:58

I took the Chernobyl "tour" when I was in Ukraine in Jan 17.

Pretty good visit, they showed us the staged/fake news gas masks in the buildings and said the biggest issue they have now is teens camping out/partying in the abandoned town.

Best part was seeing the Duga Radar site, pretty impressive.
Old 16 May 2019, 19:42
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
Just listened to the chernobyl podcast and they talked a little about the female scientist. Though they didn't say it was because of feminism, it seems to fit the SOP.
Old 18 May 2019, 21:04
Confirmed User

The female character was discussed in the post-show bonus section. The creators expressed the difficulty of trying to capture what multiple scientists across the USSR were doing by challenging the state apparatus in a way that could be worked into the miniseries format. They also noted having to walk the historical fiction line; ultimately deciding that the female physicist was a collective representation of acts of various Soviet scientists who pushed back, for the television show's purposes. Not knowing much about the details of Chernobyl, can't say one way or the other if their creative liberty was accurate (of the various Soviet scientists) or not.
Old 21 May 2019, 00:27
Sound off for equipment check!

Two months after Vasily Ignatenko died, his widow went into labor at 8 1/2 months. Their daughter lived only four hours, dying of liver cirrhosis and congenital heart disease. The body was taken away by the Army...
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bið æghwæm þæt hē his frēond wrece, þonne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgþēowes
Old 21 May 2019, 04:24

For those interested, I recommand this book "Chernobyl 1986/2006: Confessions of a Reporter" by Igor Kostin. He was the first on site, taking pictures flying above the reactor, and most of the liquidators interviews and photos that you can fond on the net are from his book.
Old 22 May 2019, 08:38
Earthquake Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
We’ve already had a very real near-disaster here where similar ethical questions were raised. “Do we tell the people and run the real risk of panic, or do we lock down and postpone the inevitable panic?”

“The Hot Zone” by Richard Preston. An Ebola outbreak in a lab in Reston, Virginia, just three years after Chernobyl. True story, but not many people know about it.
That was a great book.

Also, read anything about Plum Island.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. Mattis
Old 23 May 2019, 06:20
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@rge63 View Post
For those interested, I recommand this book "Chernobyl 1986/2006: Confessions of a Reporter" by Igor Kostin. He was the first on site, taking pictures flying above the reactor, and most of the liquidators interviews and photos that you can fond on the net are from his book.
Also Vladimir Shevchenko, filmed from the scene, and died months later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbCcutzXzYg

S/F...Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 28 May 2019, 09:59
Russian Tycoon

Quote:
Two months after Vasily Ignatenko died, his widow went into labor at 8 1/2 months. Their daughter lived only four hours, dying of liver cirrhosis and congenital heart disease. The body was taken away by the Army...
This story line was taken out of Svetlana Alexievich's book Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster. I highly recommend the book to those who are interested in reading interviews with witnesses and victims of this tragedy.
Old 28 May 2019, 10:05
Problem Solver

Quote:

...“The Hot Zone” by Richard Preston. An Ebola outbreak in a lab in Reston, Virginia, just three years after Chernobyl. True story, but not many people know about it.
FYI, National Geographic Channel is currently running "The Hot Zone" as a 6-episode series:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/tv/the-hot-zone/

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 28 May 2019, 12:10
Pirate and Rogue

I'm sure that there is a lot of added drama to the show but the hospital scenes were really graphic.

So far its been good

Stupid should be a medical diagnosis - Texan

Being smart does not guarantee success, but being stupid practically guarantees failure - GSniper
Old 28 May 2019, 21:42

I finally caught the scene on you.tube of the three technicians (in real life there were four) breaking into the burning reactor hall only to find themselves staring down into hell. That is the only scene of the 2019 show I've seen, but it looked very accurate and authentic except that on their way to the damaged door some surviving fluorescent tubes were shown lighting the way. I suppose the video wouldn't be very appealing if they showed a dark, dusty hallway with four guys carrying only two flashlights, but the one guy who stayed behind to keep the door open was left in total darkness, which had to have been beyond frightening. Those guys and the firemen on the roof who directly inhaled the plume were already as dead as if they had suck-started a shotgun, but their deaths were as protracted as they were inevitable. Their nightmare had only begun.

Our new posting rules