SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge > Travel

Old 25 December 2019, 14:48
Been There Done That

RFI Paris

Will be there for a week for a family member's birthday with no plans other than the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, and Arc de Triumphe. First time for me there.

Any suggestions or other must sees?

Where have socnet members stayed (on their own dime please) that they liked ? Is there a preferred neighborhood/area to stay? While I found tickets for around $300 round trip and would like to find a good deal on a hotel, I don't want to go super cheap on the hotel just to spend a fortune on Uber and sit in traffic to see the sites.

No plans on renting a car. I might consider it if it's the only way to make a day trip to Normandy feasible.

Thoughts?

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 25 December 2019, 16:07
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post
Will be there for a week for a family member's birthday with no plans other than the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, and Arc de Triumphe. First time for me there.

Any suggestions or other must sees?

Where have socnet members stayed (on their own dime please) that they liked ? Is there a preferred neighborhood/area to stay? While I found tickets for around $300 round trip and would like to find a good deal on a hotel, I don't want to go super cheap on the hotel just to spend a fortune on Uber and sit in traffic to see the sites.

No plans on renting a car. I might consider it if it's the only way to make a day trip to Normandy feasible.

Thoughts?
I’ve passed through a few times, but never stayed long, so I’m not much help. I want to say Normandy is 3.5 hrs from Paris. The tolls will kill you. I drove from Stuttgart to Normandy to jump into D-Day and the tolls were over $100€ one way. Granted I had to get into and leave Paris.

Somewhat useful tidbit: I did language immersion for SF in Montpellier, where everyone was great, but they freakin’ hate Parisians. The consensus was they’re just assholes. That’s not a stereotype, they really are, so enjoy
Old 25 December 2019, 16:10
Authorized Personnel

Versailles was spectacular. The Louvre is gorgeous, but a major pain in the ass. Arc de Triumphe area has been a hot spot for protests for awhile, so just keep that in mind. Don't rent a car, and don't waste your money on Uber unless you need to. The metro system there is easy to figure out, but metro workers have been striking recently, so depending on when you're going, operations may be degraded.

In regards to accommodations, what's your budget and how many people? The rooms are usually pretty small. Last time I was there I stayed at the Renaissance Republique, and I had no issues. I've also gone and rented an apartment there for a couple of weeks. Just depends on what you want and what your definition of a good deal is.

Safety is binary - Security is emotional
Old 25 December 2019, 16:54
ditch digger

Musée de l'Armée is pretty awesome, will be an hour or so well spent.
Old 25 December 2019, 17:40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Musée de l'Armée is pretty awesome, will be an hour or so well spent.
If you only visit one thing in Paris, this should be it. One of the best military museums I have ever been in, period.

Those French sure do museums right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
Versailles was spectacular.
This would be my #2. It is actually a bit out of Paris proper, and will be a day trip if you do it....well worth it.

I would also put Notre Dame at the top of the list, but I am Catholic and thus biased. Not sure about access since the fire.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 26 December 2019, 04:55
Authorized Personnel

Wife and I stayed here numerous times;
https://www.hotel-elyseesmermoz.com/en/

A bit quirky but in a good location between Arc de Triomphe (1 mile) and the Louvre (1.5 miles) in the 8th District.

X2 on the Musee de l'Armee.
Old 26 December 2019, 09:10
Russian Tycoon

I go to Paris quite frequently... one of the hotels that is not super expensive but has a character is Hotel Le Sénat in Saint Germain. It is close to Luxembourg Gardens and Panthéon. (www.hotelsenat.com) Given the location, I would say it is very reasonably priced.

I will post a list of my favorites later today.
Old 26 December 2019, 10:17
Confirmed User

My wife and Daughter stayed here on a trip there in 2016. Then they went to my cousins vineyard in SE of France. Hotel was very accommodating, you were within walking distance of many touristy things. Staff was great, got to pick room based off theme.
https://www.lebellechasse.com/
Old 26 December 2019, 15:29
Confirmed User

Agree on Versailles. Absolutely incredible.

You might be sick of art after spending time at the Lourve, but the Musee d'Orsay is worth seeing. It's in a former railway station that is really nice.

Normandy is awesome if you can swing it. The Caen Memorial Museum is outstanding, and my parents and I did a tour with Overlodtour that was outstanding. We met them in Bayeaux, but it looks like they will meet you in Paris, too. Looking at their site, I think we did the full-day tour of Omaha Beach and Utah Beach.
Old 28 December 2019, 15:56
Russian Tycoon

Here are a couple of my favorites that have not been mentioned in this thread:

- Something old: Musée de Cluny - amazing collection of medieval art.

- Something new: Atelier des Lumières - one of the best immersive art shows I have ever seen. Book tickets in advance.

- I love walking around Montmartre, even though it is always crowded. The panoramic view of the city is beautiful, there are a few smaller museums, including one of Salvador Dali.

- Side-trip: time and weather permitting, you ought to check out Giverny, home of Claude Monet and the famous water lilies pond. The village itself is very quaint and the gardens are spectacular, especially in spring.

- In case you would like to see another chateau besides Versailles, I suggest Fontainebleau or Château de Chantilly.

- Shopping: Printemps and Galeries Lafayette are worth visiting even if you do not buy anything. They are located right next to each other and have a very impressive selection of designer brands; plus, Galeries Lafayette boasts a magnificent art nouveau dome. Otherwise, the Marais District has tons of cute boutiques. If you pass through Marais, stop by Rue des Rosiers (the old Jewish quarter), do yourself a favor and have some falafel from one of their stands... best street food ever.

Do not attempt to travel to Omaha Beach by public transportation. It is complicated, even in peak season, and you will waste a lot of time. I have used Viator to book excursions to avoid renting a car and was very happy with most tour operators.

Getting around Paris on Metro is easy. I recommend using Citymapper to plan your trips, it works exceptionally well. You can buy books of metro tickets from the kiosks, so it is a little cheaper and you do not need to worry about it before every ride.

Once you pick the hotel, I can help you figuring out the easiest way to get there on public transportation, if you want to save money on the taxi (it is expensive).

Happy to throw additional suggestions, as you go along.
Old 2 January 2020, 20:15
Russian Tycoon

More random stuff:

- If you decide to go to Louvre, do yourself a favor and book your ticket online, well in advance. Otherwise you will be waiting for hours or may not get in at all. Given that your time in Paris is somewhat limited and there is a lot to see, I would actually recommend D'Orsay, as Louvre can be quite overwhelming. As mentioned earlier, the building by itself is quite remarkable and it has one of the best collections of the Impressionist artists in the world.

- Since you are going to miss out on Notre Dame (tears!), maybe you could check out Sainte Chapelle, the royal chapel built in the XIII century. It is a real jewel of Gothic architecture with beautiful stained windows. The Chapel is not that big, so it will not take a lot of time out of your day.

- Across from Notre Dame there is the cult Shakespeare and Company bookstore. Consider it a WeWork spot of the Lost Generation writers (Hemingway and Fitzgerald used to hang out there), as well as other modernist artists. Since you are likely to pass by it, it is worth taking a peak.

- Speaking of legendary places, Les Deux Magots on Saint-Germain des Prés is a restaurant that used to be a hub of Parisian cultural life... its patrons included Camus, James Joyce, Simone de Beauvoir, Picasso, etc. It will not be the best meal of your trip (the food is only alright), but there is some special vibe that I can't explain in this place.

- For a romantic walk that is not along the Seine, I suggest Canal Saint Martin. You will recognize it, if you saw Amelie.
Old 2 January 2020, 20:49
Authorized Personnel

Add another +1 for Musée de l'Armée.
Old 3 January 2020, 00:54
Red Headed Stepchild

Catacombs.

Also:

My absolute favorite thing to do there is find a sidewalk cafe and watch the people go by over a glass of wine and some stinky cheese. Regardless of season.
Old 4 January 2020, 21:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Catacombs.
Don't know if it's possible(I'm sure it is), but book your tickets in advance for this.

My parents and I didn't do the catacombs, but we ended up near the entrance one day and the line to get tickets was long af, and this was during the off season.
Old 5 January 2020, 01:35
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
the line to get tickets was long af
That's been true lately.

Still worth it.
Old 6 January 2020, 08:38
BTDT

Just another line of shit from another person who has lived near Paris.

Go once and get it out of your system. The people outside of Paris are much nicer than inside Paris. I have to go there once a year for work and leave as soon as the meeting is over. Even the French who live outside of Paris hate the place.

Musee d'Orsay is my first choice outside of the military museums. There are more than one. If you go to Normandy American Cemetery also try to visit another one. Remember the war did not end on June 7th.

Be prepared for any strikes or public discourse. It happens all the time.
Old 15 February 2020, 10:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post
Once you pick the hotel, I can help you figuring out the easiest way to get there on public transportation, if you want to save money on the taxi (it is expensive).
My wife doesn't know yet that we have a place with a balcony that looks out over Eiffel tower for five nights. Saving that surprise for arrival. This is something of a bucket list item for the wife and it worked out to be just a few dollars above what I would have paid for a room farther away. Plus, the overall cost was offset by fairly inexpensive airfare ($350 RT each).

Also took advantage of the refundable hotel option just in case the corona virus becomes a travel issue.

Thank you to everyone that suggested sites to see. Now that we have a hotel selected, I'll work on an agenda for the five nights that we'll be in Paris.

We'll alo have availability for a two day one night trip out to Normandy. I'll work to get that set up next as well as a cheap last night at some hotel close to the airport.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.

Last edited by HighDragLowSpeed; 15 February 2020 at 11:14.
Old 15 February 2020, 14:04
Embrace the Suck

If you can try to book a dinner cruise on the river, they leave from just next to the Eiffel Tower, well worth it to see the sights at night and have a great meal. The Eiffel Tower lights up at night and the view from the river is great.

Also if your wife is into shows or anything like that try to get tickets to either the Moulin Rouge or something similar like The Lido, really great shows and well, the women are nearly naked, how can you go wrong? Even the kids loved it, well worth the money.

Other than that the Arc de Triumph is pretty cool, Versailles, and if you get away from Paris I would recommend a small town South called Amboise, my all time favorite France destination. Paris really is so touristy it's painful but you have to check the boxes, after that get away into France that's where anything worth seeing really is, IMHO.

DON'T rent a car unless you want to get away from Paris, it's a nightmare. Use cabs or uber, just remember when it rains you will wait for a cab for an hour or more, leave plenty of time to get around with shitty weather.
Old 15 February 2020, 16:32
Confirmed User

watch Mona Lisa's eyes following you when you walk in a horseshoe....

[QUOTE=GirlwithaGlock;1058835032]More random stuff:

- If you decide to go to Louvre, do yourself a favor and book your ticket online, well in advance. Otherwise you will be waiting for hours or may not get in at all. Given that your time in Paris is somewhat limited and there is a lot to see, I would actually recommend D'Orsay, as Louvre can be quite overwhelming. As mentioned earlier, the building by itself is quite remarkable and it has one of the best collections of the Impressionist artists in the world.
Old 15 February 2020, 18:18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post
My wife....
You got married? To a woman?

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine

Our new posting rules