SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 13 January 2020, 19:29
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
See Post #31. I suspect the "Deep State" is going pass legislation to give the government the authority to compel the makers to weaken their product security.
It is a bipartisan effort and that right there should concern everyone.
v/r
fkl
I have no doubts a major attempt is starting. The same backdoor the government is seeking will be exploited against them. They're shooting themselves in the foot. A major law enforcement agency uses iPhones almost exclusively for their work.
Old 13 January 2020, 19:51
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
A major law enforcement agency uses iPhones almost exclusively for their work.
That just means the legislation will carve out an exception for law enforcement.

It'd be nice if Apple then said something to the effect that they won't make two different levels of the same model. But I'm not hopeful.
Old 13 January 2020, 19:54
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
That just means the legislation will carve out an exception for law enforcement.

It'd be nice if Apple then said something to the effect that they won't make two different levels of the same model. But I'm not hopeful.
That won't matter. Creating a purposeful flaw goes both ways. You can't create a system that will only work for the government. If you did make two different phones, that means millions of phones manufactured versus a handful for the government. Apple would sink.
Old 13 January 2020, 22:54
Confirmed User

New mass media article on counter surveillance:

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...-surveillance/

Not sure if it’s of any value beyond that it is published for gen pop consumption.

A source I have found to be pretty solid for tech related news and “reading the room” when it comes to tech is Hacker News, created by y-combinator(incubator that spawned Airbnb, Dropbox, Stripe, Coinbase and 2000 more).

It’s kind of like Socnet for tech workers. And like Socnet, there’s a bunch of big swinging Richards posting there.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22028422

I reckon it’s a source worth lurking and searching for insider commentary on tech issues, including surveillance.

It can get pretty tech heavy, but it has certainly helped me to get a better insider perspective on some tech issues.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 14 January 2020, 13:29
BTDT

Quote:

From today's coverage of the terrorist attack in NAS Pensacola.
They are not able to crack the devices - at least that is what they are telling the public.
Fuck Bob Barr. Why doesn't he just give it to his Israeli buddies? The attack on US Citizens privacy is constant and never ending - weaken the 4th and go after the 2nd. I'll take the 1 or 2 "attacks" every few years, for $1000, Alex. In other news: 14 people killed in Chicago this past weekend, up from 11 the previous weekend (fake headline to prove a point).

Terrorism....Hahahahahahahaha!

"It's A Long Way, To 61,000 If You Want To Rock And Roll"

"Team Apocalypse"
COVID-19 Deaths: 14,784 (NY )

Economy Wasn't Destroyed For:
2017/2018 Influenza 61,000 KIA
1957 "Asian Flu" 70,000 KIA
'68-'72 "Hong Kong Flu" 100,000 KIA

2017/2018 Health Care System "Shock": 45 million people getting sick with influenza, 21 million people going to a health care provider, with 810,000 hospitalizations.

twitter.com/AlexBerenson

Unemployed Americans: 16,600,000 So Far

Last edited by Polypro; 14 January 2020 at 14:05.
Old 14 January 2020, 14:39
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
New mass media article on counter surveillance:

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...-surveillance/

Not sure if it’s of any value beyond that it is published for gen pop consumption.

A source I have found to be pretty solid for tech related news and “reading the room” when it comes to tech is Hacker News, created by y-combinator(incubator that spawned Airbnb, Dropbox, Stripe, Coinbase and 2000 more).

It’s kind of like Socnet for tech workers. And like Socnet, there’s a bunch of big swinging Richards posting there.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22028422

I reckon it’s a source worth lurking and searching for insider commentary on tech issues, including surveillance.

It can get pretty tech heavy, but it has certainly helped me to get a better insider perspective on some tech issues.
Thank you for the recommend! Lots of interesting topics on that site.
Old 14 January 2020, 15:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Fuck Bob Barr. Why doesn't he just give it to his Israeli buddies? .....
I believe they are attacking the rate limiter somehow to allow for standard brute force attack. The bounty on cracks these days are generally high enough that if you can do it, it pays better then the close hold / opportunist angle which might net you far less if patched.
Old 14 January 2020, 20:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Fuck Bob Barr. Why doesn't he just give it to his Israeli buddies? The attack on US Citizens privacy is constant and never ending - weaken the 4th and go after the 2nd. I'll take the 1 or 2 "attacks" every few years, for $1000, Alex. In other news: 14 people killed in Chicago this past weekend, up from 11 the previous weekend (fake headline to prove a point).

Terrorism....Hahahahahahahaha!
As the Chief of Staff for the last POTUS said, "Never let a crisis go to waste."
The Deep State has been setting this legislation up for years - now they've got to terrorist attacks to cite.
All of the congress critters will return to their districts and assure the voters they voted for this in order to fight terrorism.
Old 14 January 2020, 20:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
As the Chief of Staff for the last POTUS said, "Never let a crisis go to waste."
The Deep State has been setting this legislation up for years - now they've got to terrorist attacks to cite.
All of the congress critters will return to their districts and assure the voters they voted for this in order to fight terrorism.
Most people don't understand the difference between the device and the cloud as it relates to this. All they hear is Apple.

One thing I read today that I hadn't heard earlier was the Pensacola shooter had purposely put a round though one of his iPhones. FBI was able to get it working somehow.

Last edited by Macka; 14 January 2020 at 20:54.
Old 14 January 2020, 21:43
Authorized Personnel

The entire debate is being amplified by people who don't understand how technology works, nor value the basic human right of privacy.
Old 15 January 2020, 00:52
Make a desert and call it peace.

^Read the summary of the Tom Hanks/Emma Watson propaganda movie, The Circle. It conditions the prole populace to accept the surveillance state.

Why won't you just submit and love Big Brother? S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 15 January 2020, 19:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
Most people don't understand the difference between the device and the cloud as it relates to this. All they hear is Apple.

One thing I read today that I hadn't heard earlier was the Pensacola shooter had purposely put a round though one of his iPhones. FBI was able to get it working somehow.
That fact was reported. But once the FBI got the iPhone back up, the reports are that Apple (again) refused to assist the FBI in cracking the then functioning phone along with the second iPhone the FBI recovered.
Old 15 January 2020, 20:56
Administrator

Apple shouldn't help the gov even if they could.
Old 16 January 2020, 06:19
BTDT

Quote:
I hear what your saying my friend, I really just use your stuff to add to, not challenge. "Terrorism" as something to worry about, is BS, but plays well to the uneducated masses that are "Most Americans". It's literally like basing national policy on Big Cat attacks. Occasionally, a Lion or Tiger kills somebody, yea, and...? I mean your odds of getting killed in regular crime are so low...in the 25 years I've been on SOCNET, I can't recall one member that has been murdered? Terrorism? I repeat "Hahahahaha!" And lets not even discuss if one entity declares war on another, is it really terrorism when they each kill each other? Terrorism is supposed to be the "Kill one, frighten 10000" thing. If a Saudi Military member, kills a US Military member - how am "I" terrorized?

Quote:
" Awww, come on guys, it's so simple maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads, and I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone." - Fletch

"Team Apocalypse"

2017/2018 Health Care System "Shock": 45 million people getting sick with influenza, 21 million people going to a health care provider, with 810,000 hospitalizations.

twitter.com/AlexBerenson

Old 16 January 2020, 14:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
That phone didn't cause the terror attack. I realize it may have useful information, but that shouldn't allow the government to compel an organization to fundamentally weaken the security of their product for everyone. Apple also can't meaningfully help. The phone is encrypted using open standards for encryption.
I could be completely wrong....

But I suspect that Apple is trying to take a position on personal privacy that is akin to Nike’s social justice position on Colin Kaepernick.

The bean counters run the numbers and decide that taking “X” position results in “Y” return to shareholders.

Does Nike really care about social justice more than their bottom line?

I suspect Nike cared about social justice because of their bottom line. Nike took a superficial stand, knowing abandoning one demographic, and embracing another demographic more tightly, for profit.

Does Apple really care about personal privacy more than their bottom line?

I suspect Apple is positioning themselves as the major smartphone manufacturer most aligned with personal privacy. I imagine their public facing stance will be to “fight the machine” while they eventually and fully comply with US, China, EU.

I wonder if some bean counting and marketing minions at Apple are crunching numbers(akin to Nike/Kaepernick) to model what their bottom line looks like if Apple are fined/financially punished by government while benefitting in terms of market share by general population believing they care about personal privacy.

A $5 billion fine to Apple is only approx 2% hit to cash on hand.

I suspect we will see two faced political theatre.

——-

The big picture concern I have is that China’s integration with their Baidu, Alibaba, Tencent, Huawei(BATH) superplatforms is akin to fully integrated economic/diplomatic/military/political combined arms operations in the geopolitical/geodigital realm.

In the US, the fight between FAANG & government is akin to a fight between Air Force and Government and Army with Navy.

It would be awesome if we could have our “cake”(US based superplatforms partnering with government to ensure US continuity in the 21st century) and “eat it too”(ensure the personal privacy and freedoms of the individual).

That whole “shining light on the hill” and “beacon of freedom” that America represents should mean more to more people(but probably doesn’t) when the rest of the world’s leadership is under increasing temptation and pressure to submit to accepting the role of “moderator” within the Chinese “admin” authoritarian operating system.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 16 January 2020, 16:17
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
I could be completely wrong....
I can't speak to political motivations. I can only speak to the technology. The rest of your post wanders a lot, so I'll just say that Apple doesn't have access to the encryption key. It is generated and maintained on the phone itself, inside of the Secure Enclave. The government is trying to coerce Apple to stop this practice so that the government can get into a person's phone. That's fucked up and worthy of rioting over. It's demonstrable that the government, as well as private entities (Apple included), can't be trusted to not violate someone's privacy. It's the entire reason Apple developed it this way to begin with. They should be applauded.
Old 16 January 2020, 16:18
Been There Done That

Quote:
Your post
Do you think if China's Ministry of State Security captured some radical Uighur's following an attack that Apple would help them crack their iPhone's? I do.
Old 16 January 2020, 16:22
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
Do you think if China's Ministry of State Security captured some radical Uighur's following an attack that Apple would help them crack their iPhone's? I do.
But, Apple did help the FBI. They pried right into what they could, and gave the bureau everything they had access to. They can't, however, recover the private key that is generated without redesigning the phone, or pushing a new update that would force every iPhone user to create a new key--one that could be shared with third parties.
Old 16 January 2020, 17:40
Living The Grunt Life

I don't get the butt-pain about the encryptions. A good amount of my job required that I get into a lot of phones. When I came across one that I couldn't, I simply backed off and said, "Dang, now I have to do some more police work in a different direction" and then moved on. Things are what they are. I don't want anyone able to get into my phone...even if it's simply the local crackhead that stole it rather than an terrorist....
Old 16 January 2020, 17:44
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
I don't get the butt-pain about the encryptions. A good amount of my job required that I get into a lot of phones. When I came across one that I couldn't, I simply backed off and said, "Dang, now I have to do some more police work in a different direction" and then moved on. Things are what they are. I don't want anyone able to get into my phone...even if it's simply the local crackhead that stole it rather than an terrorist....
Come on Bro, you know that when gloves were invented, all cops were made helpless.

"Team Apocalypse"

twitter.com/AlexBerenson

Our new posting rules