SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 19 January 2020, 22:10
Never to old to learn

Suspect fatally shot 2 Honolulu officers, set fire that destroyed several homes:

Suspect fatally shot 2 Honolulu officers, set fire that destroyed several homes: Sources

HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - Two police officers were fatally shot Sunday, a third was injured and at least four homes in an affluent Diamond Head neighborhood were destroyed by fire in a shocking series of events that all appears to have started with an attempted eviction.
Police sources have identified the suspect as 69-year-old Jerry Hanel, and authorities believe he has died ― likely when the home he was in went up in flames. There is no manhunt for a suspect underway.
Court documents show Hanel has a history of erratic behavior and making false 911 reports. His attorney told HNN that the suspect had delusions that he was being tracked by law enforcement.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/
Old 20 January 2020, 02:00
Legal Immigrant

We were a few hundred meters away, at Honolulu Zoo, as this was going down. Haven't seen that many Police vehicles responding at speed to something before.

The Zoo thought it was going to have to lock down, as initial reports were the offender was on the run. I was constantly eyeing off areas to shelter in or run to, wishing I had a firearm.

Thoughts to the downed officers, their colleagues and families.
Old 20 January 2020, 07:51
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

The guy was living rent free in the home of the woman who was having him evicted, 3 of her neighbors had taken out orders of protection against this guy, who wasn't thought to have a firearm because he didn't have one registered to him. "Mental issues". What a waste. RIP.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 20 January 2020, 12:04
Living The Grunt Life

Rest In Peace, Officers. Prayers out for the wounded officer's healing.
Old 20 January 2020, 12:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
We were a few hundred meters away, at Honolulu Zoo, as this was going down. Haven't seen that many Police vehicles responding at speed to something before.

The Zoo thought it was going to have to lock down, as initial reports were the offender was on the run. I was constantly eyeing off areas to shelter in or run to, wishing I had a firearm.

Thoughts to the downed officers, their colleagues and families.
Welcome to America.

Old 20 January 2020, 17:52
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
The guy was living rent free in the home of the woman who was having him evicted, 3 of her neighbors had taken out orders of protection against this guy, who wasn't thought to have a firearm because he didn't have one registered to him. "Mental issues". What a waste. RIP.
Meh, the advanced form of Crazy Cat Lady.

Don't harbor strays. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 20 January 2020, 21:09
Living The Grunt Life

This coincides with some advice I gave my son a week ago. I told him to never underestimate older people's ability to be violent and dangerous -- especially those that may be dealing with mental issues.
Old 22 January 2020, 01:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
who wasn't thought to have a firearm because he didn't have one registered to him. "Mental issues". What a waste. RIP.
Its being reported that there were multiple guns in the basement of the house that belonged to the owners deceased husband. Several storage areas were reportedly asked to story them due to this guy being a nut and they refused.

RIP to the fallen.

Officer Tiffany-Victoria Bilon Enriquez was a mother of 3 daughters and had 1 grandson. She was currently a member of the USAF Reserve unit based out of Joint-Base Pearl Hickam. She had served with the Honolulu Police Department for seven years and had previously served with the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office in Tennessee.

Officer Kaulike Kalama had served with the Honolulu Police Department for nine years.

Our new posting rules