SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 13 March 2016, 22:30
Fan ar an gcosán

The Barkley Marathons

Great documentary available on Netflix about an ultra-marathon in the hills of Tennessee. The race is 100-130 miles long, ascends and descends more than 59,000 ft, and must be completed in under 60 hours. Very inspirational and well told story.
Old 30 January 2018, 10:01
Been There Done That

Watching this now . One of the participants must be former or current Ranger bat. As he is wearing black shirt with scroll on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 30 January 2018, 10:05
Confirmed User

There is another one over in the Cascades called the Big Foot 200. The trend seems to be to keep going farther and farther. I wonder if there is a physiological max?
Old 30 January 2018, 10:07
Shakin' the bush Boss

I have a friend who's wife does these things. Crazy 100mi stuff. As per SOP he gets no sympathy from us, we tell him she's running off sexual frustration.
Old 30 January 2018, 10:35
Been There Done That

That was a very well done documentary. We greatly enjoyed watching their pain and suffering while snacking on the couch. I'm sure some of my former soldiers are glad I didn't see that before I retired. I used to love throwing a good sufferfest.
Old 30 January 2018, 20:50
In Vino Veritas

I thought this was covered here? Good Doc. LOL, what’s up with the “Rangers” who couldn’t even get close to finishing it?
Old 21 February 2018, 11:30
Doc McNasty

Excellent show. I got all into adventure racing, did the 1st Eco Challenge, and have several 50K and 50mi under my belt. Watching this gave me phantom joint pain, and reminded me why I don't do that stupid shit anymore. Very well done, and they captured the suck factor alright.
Old 21 February 2018, 18:38
BT,WBTWC

The Barkley Marathons

We watched that movie here in Clarksville last month at the Runner's Hub (our local running store) with Team RWB and a few people who knew a bit about it ... recognize anyone?

This year he wants Under Armor socks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6429.jpg (51.0 KB, 93 views)
Old 21 February 2018, 19:15
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I see that the organizer of the event, Gary Cantrell, lights a cigarette to signal the start of the race.

Reminds me of some guys I was in class with at DLI who went up to run the wacky and wild Bay to Breakers race in San Francisco, the only difference being that they lit their cigarettes right after finishing the 12K, along with popping open a few beers, and of course getting dirty looks from all of the hard core runners whose asses they just smoked.

I see that the 40 participants in the race who are selected receive a letter of condolence telling that they've made the field. Pretty funny.

Last edited by Spinner; 21 February 2018 at 19:24.
Old 21 February 2018, 19:38
These ain't my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
There is another one over in the Cascades called the Big Foot 200. The trend seems to be to keep going farther and farther. I wonder if there is a physiological max?
I’m actually doing the Bigfoot200 this year. I flew out last year to crew/join/pace about 65 Miles for my bud who’s a current SF guy. Easily the worst thing I’ve done. About two weeks after we got back I signed up haha. Bottoms up!

“It is who we are; It is what we do; And we're okay with that.”- LE Funeral Closing Remark
Old 18 March 2018, 15:44
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

The Barkley really is an incredible test, it was really something to watch the competitors keep pushing themselves through each loop.

What's really great about this event is how organic it is. The $1.60 fee just to apply for the event, then the entry fee of a license plate and some article of clothing is a hoot.

Definitely not for beginners, and clearly a race that requires some preparation. I wouldn't mind going down to do just one of the loops outside of competition just to get a feel for the course.

Our new posting rules