Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 12 February 2018, 15:11
Confirmed User

Last Flag Flying

Rented this movie from Redbox on Saturday night. The cast was pretty dam good. Bryan Cranston, Steve Carell and Laurence Fishburne. The story line is Steve Carell son dies in the Iraq War. Carell looks up a couple of his Marine Vietnam veteran buddies to accompany him to Arlington Cemetery. But then decides to bury his son at home. And their journey to get him home. Cranston plays a real character.
Old 12 February 2018, 15:55
Been There Done That

Is it similar to the film "Taking Chance" with a bit of humor? Or do the guys play it straight?

I highly recommend "Taking Chance."
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when I’m attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 12 February 2018, 16:03
Unemployed Stunt Double

Seemed like a good plot concept, but none of the actors are old enough to have served in Vietnam...Cranston is the oldest, born in 1956...he could have loaded helicopters in 1975, I suppose, but the other two were born in the early 60s.
Old 12 February 2018, 16:43
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
Is it similar to the film "Taking Chance" with a bit of humor? Or do the guys play it straight?

I highly recommend "Taking Chance."
It's a combination of humor, sadness and drama.
Old 12 February 2018, 17:08
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Seemed like a good plot concept, but none of the actors are old enough to have served in Vietnam...Cranston is the oldest, born in 1956...he could have loaded helicopters in 1975, I suppose, but the other two were born in the early 60s.
Well, depends . Is movie set in 2004-2006? Vietnam vets were in their 50s then. So actors in their mid 50s would fit the bill. And there was a company of Marines that saw active combat in May 1975 on a Cambodian island. The last KIAs (18) of the Vietnam conflict occurred there as well sadly. Last two KIA in Vietnam were two Marines killed in rocket attack in April '75 , day before Saigon fell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by leopardprey; 12 February 2018 at 17:21.
Old 12 February 2018, 17:17
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Well, depends . Is movie set in 2004-2006? Vietnam vets were in their 50s then. So actors in their mid 50s would fit the bill.
2003 if I remember correctly. Lots of allergy scenes.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 12 February 2018, 17:54
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
2003 if I remember correctly. Lots of allergy scenes.
I should have guessed so much, as BHO couldn’t cause tears from grief.
Old 13 February 2018, 09:07
Authorized Personnel

I thought it was an OK(+) movie, it did have its moments and the humor was great. The hanger scene with the caskets and the LTC seemed very forced and made it uncomfortable to watch, maybe that was by design.

I didn’t like the fact that they left you hanging as to why “Doc” spent time in the brig. It leaves you with two choices 1) he gave the morphine to the other two characters and went to jail for that or 2) they elude to wounded Marine that was suffering and “did what they had to do” there were no pain drugs....

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.
Old 13 February 2018, 23:19
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet View Post
I thought it was an OK(+) movie, it did have its moments and the humor was great. The hanger scene with the caskets and the LTC seemed very forced and made it uncomfortable to watch, maybe that was by design.

I didn’t like the fact that they left you hanging as to why “Doc” spent time in the brig. It leaves you with two choices 1) he gave the morphine to the other two characters and went to jail for that or 2) they elude to wounded Marine that was suffering and “did what they had to do” there were no pain drugs....
I actually really enjoyed the disciplined, controlled LTC finally losing his shit and going full-on-Marine on the PFC. My wife said "No one would really talk like that (cocksucker was every other word) and be that rude, would they?"

Also, I got that he gave them morphine (and partook with them) and were unable to give pain meds to a mortally wounded platoon mate. Also, when they were talking about their guilt, Carrell's character said something along the lines of "We should stop feeling like his pain is the only thing we are guilty of...We should admit that maybe he wouldn't have been killed if we hadn't been fucking around and had been our job in the first place".

Cranston and Fishburne feel guilty because Carrell was younger, more impressionable, and probably wouldn't have done what he did without their influence (and they never got caught when he did).

Our new posting rules