Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 25 June 2015, 00:58
Confirmed User

Deutschland 83

If you get Sundance Channel this is a pretty good show you might find interesting. It is set in Germany 1983, wherein an East German has been sent to West Germany by the Stasi to spy on a West German General. It is a German production with English subtitles. So far it has pretty good plot development, much like the UK TV Show "The Game".

http://www.sundance.tv/series/deutschland-83
Old 26 June 2015, 18:12
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Tensions were always pretty high during the Cold War, but that time period within a couple of years after Reagan was elected up until the wall came down and the USSR collapsed might have been the tensest, at least as far as I remember growing up. I recall when Major Arthur Nicholson was shot in '85 while doing a military liaison mission East Germany.

A lot of stuff was happening at that time between the Soviet Union and the US.
Old 26 June 2015, 21:32
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
A lot of stuff was happening at that time between the Soviet Union and the US.
Not just in Europe.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 20 July 2015, 19:16
Confirmed User

Really good show so far. Not sure I would enjoy it as much while having to read all the sub-titles.

Weird rooting for the 'bad' guy.... except... he is such a likable kid... Kind of like Dexter...
Old 20 July 2015, 19:26
War on Christmas veteran

I've been hearing good things about this show.
The whole series is only eight episodes long.
I haven't seen any yet, but I've been recording them and plan to binge watch all eight when they finish airing.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 21 July 2015, 10:25
Confirmed User

Didn't realize it was only a 8 episode series. Hope they are coming up with more since its entertaining. Since I grew up in Berlin Neukoelln (about two blocks away from Airport Tempelhof) during that time, it brings back all kinds of memories.

The ONLY thing that really bugs me is that all the East Germans speak 'regular' German. Lets just say that their normal dialect is VERY distinct.

Sidenote: Opening show, first song about 5 minutes into the episode is performed by an uncle of mine who had a East German Rock band.
Old 6 August 2015, 14:41
War on Christmas veteran

I've been recording them recorded all the episodes and will probably binge watch them in a few days.

but before I do, I have a question for those who saw the whole series... now that it's over, is it worth watching or was it a disappointment?

No spoilers please

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

-- Mark Twain

--Groucho Marx
Old 6 August 2015, 15:56
Confirmed User

Enjoyed the show for the most part.... Worth watching.
Old 6 August 2015, 17:29
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Five Romeo View Post
I've been recording them recorded all the episodes and will probably binge watch them in a few days.

but before I do, I have a question for those who saw the whole series... now that it's over, is it worth watching or was it a disappointment?

No spoilers please
Awesome. Hopefully there will be a Deutschland 84, all the way to say Detschland '90, there is more than enough relevant history in each year to base a series around. Perhaps each year could be different characters a la "True Detective".

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."
- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".
Old 12 August 2015, 16:11
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Five Romeo View Post

No spoilers please
Worth watching. Great show, does a good job of showing the east's paranoia. Reminiscent of The Americans, to me.
Old 26 August 2015, 23:10
War on Christmas veteran

Binge watching the whole season tonight and I'm really enjoying it so far. The one thing that is bugging the hell out of me is, for all the attention to detail they put into the production for recreating Germany in 1983... why did they have to fuck up the US Army uniforms (Class A's and BDUs) so badly? It's really distracting

Otherwise... great show so far

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

-- Mark Twain

--Groucho Marx
Old 25 October 2015, 17:44
Confirmed User

Just read this article online, which made me realize how much research was done for this show. Didn't realize how much 'real life' they were weaving into this show...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...1dc_story.html
Old 1 September 2016, 19:23
Confirmed User

Just finished binge watching Deutschland 83 on a long haul flight.

Outstanding!

While I cannot vouch for the accuracy of details like the US, West German, and East German uniforms....it certainly looked and felt extremely authentic early 80's to me.

The soundtrack was nothing short of outstanding.

And the humour around the early 1980's era IT tech problem solving by the Stasi was solid.

Highly recommended.

The rumour I heard is that there is a plan for 2 additional series:

Deutschland 86
Deutschland 89

Which will take it up to the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 26 April 2017, 15:11

I read a pretty interesting piece in the May issue of Car and Driver about the US Military Liaison Missions that were conducted in East Germany both prior to and after the time frame of this show.

They took a ride with a retired Marine Colonel, Larry Kelley, who went from flying A-4s to playing cat and mouse with the Stasi. They took a couple of vehicles to tour the areas he used to get a look at in East Germany, a modern Jeep and a more period Mercedes G Wagen, which is a pretty neat looking vehicle. He said that was the preferred ride, as it was sturdy and very good off road, all the better to get away from all the East Germans trying to prevent them from looking around.

There is no link to the article, but an interesting read if you happen across a copy in some waiting room or the library. Here's a photo of a G Wagen that looked a lot like the one they showed in the article, Has a Bronco type look to it, maybe more like a Defender 90.

Old 26 April 2017, 15:41
Confirmed User

That's a really cool looking vehicle.
Old 26 April 2017, 18:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
I read a pretty interesting piece in the May issue of Car and Driver about the US Military Liaison Missions that were conducted in East Germany both prior to and after the time frame of this show.

They took a ride with a retired Marine Colonel, Larry Kelley, who went from flying A-4s to playing cat and mouse with the Stasi. They took a couple of vehicles to tour the areas he used to get a look at in East Germany, a modern Jeep and a more period Mercedes G Wagen, which is a pretty neat looking vehicle. He said that was the preferred ride, as it was sturdy and very good off road, all the better to get away from all the East Germans trying to prevent them from looking around.

There is no link to the article, but an interesting read if you happen across a copy in some waiting room or the library. Here's a photo of a G Wagen that looked a lot like the one they showed in the article, Has a Bronco type look to it, maybe more like a Defender 90.

The US MLM and the British BRIXMIS gigs sounded like stuff out of James Bond/Jason Bourne movies, but real.

Some crazy car chases, land pirate stuff, and all around thievery of Warsaw Pact military equipment.

Sadly including the aforementioned death of Major Nicholson and other deaths/injuries over the decades.

Incorporating MLM/BRIXMIS(French as well?) or the Soviet equivalent into a realistic melodrama would be an eye opener for many.

Maybe D'land 86/89 might hopefully throw that or some DET A in there.

Although there's enough crazy real content for standalone productions.

I get the feeling we're moving into a nostalgic burst of 80's stuff(like all the zombie stuff),what with D'land, The Americans, Stranger Things, and the upcoming Atomic Blonde film.

It would be good to see some realistic depictions of the crazy stuff that went down with more 80's soundtrack.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 26 April 2017, 20:34
Confirmed User

Quote:

We used those for Patrol Vehicles in Grafenwohr in the mid 80s.
Old 7 February 2018, 17:24

Looks like there is a 2nd season in the works, supposed to come out sometime this year.

The time frame will be 3 years later, so sometime around 1986. A lot of stuff going on around that time, but then again, when wasn't there something going on.

Our new posting rules