Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 6 February 2018, 13:43
Keganswar Keganswar is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Behind enemy lines NY
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
You do realize they're just the Distribution company right? Maybe not. But they are.
This is false, in 2017 Netflix spent almost 8 billion dollars creating original content. The companies stated goal is to have an original book of content with a 50/50 ratio of original content to licensed content. Netflix started to get away from the purely distributor model in 2014 when studios kept raising the rates for content.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 6 February 2018, 15:50
KidA's Avatar
KidA KidA is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WbyGV
Posts: 18,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keganswar View Post
This is false, in 2017 Netflix spent almost 8 billion dollars creating original content. The companies stated goal is to have an original book of content with a 50/50 ratio of original content to licensed content. Netflix started to get away from the purely distributor model in 2014 when studios kept raising the rates for content.
I'm talking about this show in particular. So no, it's not false.
__________________
Hey homo, its me -- Andy/SOTB
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 6 February 2018, 16:25
DirtyDog0311 DirtyDog0311 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South
Posts: 7,057
Altered Carbon is a "Netflix Original". That means it is content that is produced, co-produced, or distributed by Netflix exclusively on their services. Netflix funds their 'originals'. Which gives them extraordinary control over certain creative licenses.

It is an insanely good show, with amazing visual effects and a spectacular and interesting story with minimal plot holes. But you can obviously tell that "Netflix" had a hand in it's construction WRT certain plot elements. I'm not going to go any further than that. If you can see it, fine. If not, I'm not going to explain it because that detracts from the thread.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 6 February 2018, 16:32
KidA's Avatar
KidA KidA is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WbyGV
Posts: 18,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Altered Carbon is a "Netflix Original". That means it is content that is produced, co-produced, or distributed by Netflix exclusively on their services. Netflix funds their 'originals'. Which gives them extraordinary control over certain creative licenses.

It is an insanely good show, with amazing visual effects and a spectacular and interesting story with minimal plot holes. But you can obviously tell that "Netflix" had a hand in it's construction WRT certain plot elements. I'm not going to go any further than that. If you can see it, fine. If not, I'm not going to explain it because that detracts from the thread.
"or distributed" which is exactly what I said.

Please compare the original script as written by Laeta Kalogridis and then all the heavy handed subversive plot elements that Netflix added to it "to poison and taint the public consciousness."

Or we can keep speculating and bringing politics and outrage signalling into everything whenever we see something we don't agree with or like....yeah, that seems to be the tenor of most posts anymore anyway.
__________________
Hey homo, its me -- Andy/SOTB
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 6 February 2018, 16:39
DirtyDog0311 DirtyDog0311 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South
Posts: 7,057
I know what you're doing and it isn't going to work.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 6 February 2018, 16:48
Streck-Fu's Avatar
Streck-Fu Streck-Fu is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,633
Netflix labels lots of stuff as "Original" that is produced in other countries by other countries. They just own US distribution.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 6 February 2018, 16:49
KidA's Avatar
KidA KidA is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WbyGV
Posts: 18,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
I know what you're doing and it isn't going to work.
1: Calling out Keganswar for stepping in and making a completely unnecessary and irrelevant statement in which he tried to score cool points by calling me out. Accomplished.

2: Calling you out for making a statement and assertion in which you provided no evidence to back up. Yeah, such a horrible thing to do.

If Netflix were all about inserting SJW into everything, why do they have thousands upon thousands upon thousands of hours of shows that have anything but - Confederate flags on the Dick Van Dyke show, Mickey Rooney playing a "chink" in Breakfast at Tiffanys, all of Charles Bronsons kill everyone movies, etc.

Just saying - in a discussion forum when someone makes an assertion, that they expect everyone to believe because you say so, well you should be able to back it up.

As of right now they're still the distribution company, and there's no evidence they did what you say. The writer could have put it in there without any direction whatsoever because it's the tenor of the moment. Or, yeah, Netflix has a cheat sheet of SJW buzz-topics that before they distribute or fund they insist that scripts change and shots reshot and all that occurs to subvert the US consciousness....
__________________
Hey homo, its me -- Andy/SOTB
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 6 February 2018, 16:53
DirtyDog0311 DirtyDog0311 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South
Posts: 7,057
ok.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 6 February 2018, 17:02
Keganswar Keganswar is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Behind enemy lines NY
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
1: Calling out Keganswar for stepping in and making a completely unnecessary and irrelevant statement in which he tried to score cool points by calling me out. Accomplished.

Just saying - in a discussion forum when someone makes an assertion, that they expect everyone to believe because you say so, well you should be able to back it up.

As of right now they're still the distribution company, and there's no evidence they did what you say. The writer could have put it in there without any direction whatsoever because it's the tenor of the moment. Or, yeah, Netflix has a cheat sheet of SJW buzz-topics that before they distribute or fund they insist that scripts change and shots reshot and all that occurs to subvert the US consciousness....
I just added that you were inaccurate. That's all. I highlighted the part you stated because its the reason I added my original comment in the thread..

Netflix is now a content creator. Holled the VP of Netflix's originals content green lighted this project when no one would. Previously the IP had been shopped around for over 10 years. Honestly I'm a huge fan of the books and have been waiting years for this to be made.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 6 February 2018, 18:19
MrMojok MrMojok is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 23
So if anyone did read the first book in this series, what are your thoughts on the changes they made to the Envoy Corps in the series?

Book: The Envoy Corps is an enforcement arm of the Protectorate, used for putting down uprisings, etc. Their special abilities allow them to overcome the normal side effects of needlecasting and sleeving, so they can re-sleeve offworld and begin fighting immediately

Book: The Quellists are anti-protectorate rebels, who are all for sleeving because the process ensures that the rebellion will never die

Series (as I understand it): The Envoys Corps has been replaced by CTAC, basically the same concept but instead of special abilities they use drugs to overcome the side effects

Series (as I understand it): The Quellists are now called Envoys, who are basically a Luddite terrorist death cult fighting a war against the idea of sleeving and especially against the Meths/immortality


I like the series but I really don't get the idea behind the changes.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 7 February 2018, 09:17
KidA's Avatar
KidA KidA is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WbyGV
Posts: 18,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keganswar View Post
I just added that you were inaccurate. That's all. I highlighted the part you stated because its the reason I added my original comment in the thread..

Netflix is now a content creator. Holled the VP of Netflix's originals content green lighted this project when no one would. Previously the IP had been shopped around for over 10 years. Honestly I'm a huge fan of the books and have been waiting years for this to be made.
But I'm not inaccurate. The production company wasn't Netflix. Netflix ordered the series, but they did so as a distribution company. They ordered it to distribute it and have rights to the distribution on their service.

I realize Netflix does all manner of things in the movie and TV business. But my statement was about this show, in this thread. For this show, they are the distributor. They aren't the original producer. They didn't direct or act or write it or anything of the like. As you noted, it's been shopped around for 10 years. But because DD said so, they brought everyone in and inserted nefarious SJW topics into the series because they're Netflix and want to brainwash everyone. And when proof of this is asked, well no need for it to be given.

Honestly, most assertions on SOCNET without backup used to be called on the carpet and challenged. Olden times I suppose.

So no, I was not inaccurate. You jumped in to correct something that didn't need correcting.

Skydance Media (Paramount) and Phoenix Pictures (which produced films such as The people vs Larry Flynt and The Thin Red Line), as well as Mythology Entertainment (mainly FOX) and a smaller company called Virago, which isn't a Netflix sub, are the production companies for Altered Carbon.
__________________
Hey homo, its me -- Andy/SOTB
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 7 February 2018, 12:45
Nokangaroos Nokangaroos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Austria
Posts: 51
From my perspective changes from book to tv/movie are often just pure reduction of complexity. A writer has some hundred pages and a higher degree of activation from his readers in comparison to a movie or tv production. The average tv consumer is simply often not capable/willing to work him/her through a complex storyline, better zaŘ to thenext channel. Sad but true
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 9 February 2018, 12:18
Sigi's Avatar
Sigi Sigi is offline
Life is simple, not easy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 3,867
I'm not quite finished - wrapping up E8 - but I've enjoyed this show. I'm not a huge fan of this genre but seeing as how I was turned on to Firefly by SOCNET I gave this a try. And I'm glad I did.

I saw an interview with a Hollywood writer and the question of accuracy came up. Sometimes they have to sacrifice accuracy for the appearance of accuracy. What's on a page doesn't always translate to film. Could be getting a shootout wrong in a military movie to adapting a book. Not that I understood his explanation per se but it was the idea that writers and directors realize they're sacrificing some accuracy. I don't agree with that POV but that's probably why I don't produce movies or shows.
__________________
.
.

bravodelta: "If they start taxing lapdances, I think I'll call it quits and become a chaplain."
Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:27.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
SOCNET