Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 10 July 2017, 22:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I find myself just unable to resist singing it out loud anytime there is an SF guy around because I know how bad it pisses them off....LOL
Yeah, we know. That's why you're on the 'rist'...
Old 10 July 2017, 22:29
True Origin Not Known

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
Yeah, we know. That's why you're on the 'rist'...
Oh man, I am SO glad I am not on the "rist". Too bad for you.

Are you fucking serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week...and I'm at a senior staff planning conference, so, the bar has been set pretty high. You should be proud. - Gavin
Old 10 July 2017, 22:36

I don't remember ever hearing the Pattons speech during training but I remember a pile of troops singing base muddle through the song every morning before class in the tarpaper barracks. I like the song and it still makes me proud to have been a part of something special.
Old 11 July 2017, 14:54
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomy View Post

At 0430, instead of the Ballad or Patton Speech... he put on classical music at the TAC shack. Beethoven, Wagner, etc. Amazing. We're all out in the sawdust pit, knocking out endless flutter kicks & push-ups to the soothing sounds of strings, woodwinds, & brass.

It was great. Motivating. Relaxing. He was a PT animal and smoked us hard. We didn't mind. That music was still playing when we came back through the gate after a rucksack speed march.

Naturally, it was a one time event. No room for free-thinking cadre instructors. Back to high volume Sadler & George C. Scott for every day afterward.
Your post reminds me of Andy Dufresne in The Shawshank Redemption, locking himself in the warden's office and playing classical music over the prison loudspeakers.

Some things are too good to last.

As for the Ballad of the Green Beret, I guess for those who serve in that community and have to listen to it more than the average Joe, it gets kind of old. I've only heard the song a handful of times, doesn't really bother me that much.

I thought that Wag the Dog did a pretty good parody/satire of the Ballad with a song based on the fictitious unit "The 303" toward the end of the movie. The unit was fictional not only in it only being a movie, but also was fictitious in the context of the movie's plot, too.

You can definitely hear the influence of the Ballad of the Green Berets in the song.

Check out the berets, half black half Cheetah print.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47a7PKhpFJ0
Old 11 July 2017, 20:56
Confirmed User

I only heard the song while standing in front of the SAR shed after we were selected and at 1st formation / graduation. Because those are very fond memories, I enjoy the song thoroughly everytime I hear it. Even if I am getting pissed on at a Group CoC that I was forced to cut my leave short IOT attend.

x/S
Old 12 July 2017, 05:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Very cool, good find TFG. A friend has a band here, BonesFork that has their own version of the song, it's way more grungy.
Haha I love Bonesfork! Just waiting for them to go on tour as Robert said one day they were and they would play around JBLAM! 🤘🏻
I love the many of versions of The Ballad of the Green Beret including, of course, the original. It never ceases to make me misty eyed and nostalgic.
Old 12 July 2017, 09:42
Been There Done That

I've always liked the song, but I can see how group guys would hate it. I'm still waiting for "Ralph the Airborne Ranger" or "S&M Man" to get laid down on a track.

Of course RI's can rub one out to this gem, it's about 10 years old.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENFQoBC-KvU
Old 12 July 2017, 19:46
Been There Done That

And least we not forget Sadler's other contribution: Casca the Eternal Mercenary.
Old 14 July 2017, 17:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
And least we not forget Sadler's other contribution: Casca the Eternal Mercenary.
Oh man. I loved those books. Great stuff.
Old 18 July 2017, 14:32
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I am not a fan of the song...hey, 18C4V, do you remember when we refused to sing it for Gray Davis?
Sorry, late to the thread. Your memory is sharp as a tack, I totally forgot about that one.
Old 18 July 2017, 15:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Love that series of books. Really pored over it as a kid.

he was shot (accidentally?) while in a cab with a hooker in Honduras, IIRC. Died some time later in a Nashville (?) nursing home.

Damn sure livin' the life

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 18 July 2017, 16:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18C4V View Post
Sorry, late to the thread. Your memory is sharp as a tack, I totally forgot about that one.
Had we gone with the program and sung it, Gray would have beaten Arnold in the recall...or not...
Old 23 July 2017, 12:46
I aim to misbehave

Found this one in a box earlier.
IMG_20170723_124419.jpg

Edit: Finally got the file to attach.

While true:
Continue

Last edited by BOFH; 23 July 2017 at 12:56. Reason: Apparently, I can't upload attachments from my phone...

Our new posting rules