Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > H2H Combat

Old 12 July 2017, 18:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
Fuck the IRS.
My sentiments exactly. That's a topic for another thread.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 13 July 2017, 18:49
FNG

Anyone have a line on where to place a bet on-line? I have checked a few sites out, but they seem a little shady. I have never placed a bet over the internet before.
Old 13 July 2017, 19:24
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Yeah, the whole internet gambling thing seems like a poor bet in itself, you should just look for a local bookie (they still exist!), if you can find one that comes recommended.

Don't know how factual this report is, but word is that Mayweather challenged McGregor to bet his total purse against Mayweather's, and McGregor reportedly is ready to take him up on it, telling him to "just send the contract".

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/7/1...fc-boxing-news

Now that would make for an interesting fight, if it actually came to that.

Last edited by Spinner; 13 July 2017 at 19:37.
Old 13 July 2017, 20:56
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Yeah, the whole internet gambling thing seems like a poor bet in itself, you should just look for a local bookie (they still exist!), if you can find one that comes recommended.

Don't know how factual this report is, but word is that Mayweather challenged McGregor to bet his total purse against Mayweather's, and McGregor reportedly is ready to take him up on it, telling him to "just send the contract".

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/7/1...fc-boxing-news

Now that would make for an interesting fight, if it actually came to that.
I could probably do that if I wasn't OCONUS. That is why I was asking about the on-line thing. Is there some way to do some third party type of shit?
Old 14 July 2017, 10:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smith View Post
I could probably do that if I wasn't OCONUS. That is why I was asking about the on-line thing. Is there some way to do some third party type of shit?
I'm not a betting type person but it seems fairly easy to bet from overseas locations with any of the big name betting sites. I did a quick google seach with one of the sites I've seen advertised for years and it brought me right to the odds page for the fight.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 14 July 2017, 14:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
I've placed several bets on Bovada (Formely Bodog) and lost most of them. The one I did win, I requested a pay out and received it without much delay.

if you do end up placing the bet online...do not accept the bonus they ALWAYS offer. It will tie up your winnings and you'll most likely never see them.
Old 14 July 2017, 14:25
FNG

OK, I had already made a Bovada account before replying in this thread. I didn't take any of the bonuses they were trying to force on me, however, when I went to make a deposit, it was giving me some error. So, I thought "this site already seems shady." Maybe I will give it another try and see if it let's me add a deposit.

HDLS: That is weird, even Bovada made me create an account before seeing the odds.

I need to work on my Google fu, I think.
Old 15 July 2017, 13:00
#AllLionsMatter

LMAO!

The marketing for this fight is so hyped ain't even funny...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dank-memes-31-photos-256.jpg (51.3 KB, 281 views)

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 15 July 2017, 20:37
Newbie shooter

I wrote a really long response about this fight a few pages back and for the most part everything else I said there still stands.

Floyd is the best living boxer. If Connor tries to box with him he will lose and he will lose badly.

That being said there are couple of wild card factors for this fight that have begun to make me doubt myself.

Floyd is 40+ years old. He retired. He hasn't been training full time for a while now. It takes time to get back there cardio wise. Every real fighter will tell you it's 40% skill, 60+ % cardio. Connor is 20 something and in the prime of his fight career / life.

When I used to spar every day, when I worked with other MMA fighters, Thai fighters, the usual people I could kind of float through it. I was used to their styles, I knew what they would do before they did it. I realized I was losing my edge so I started going around to a bunch or different gyms that taught various martial arts but still had full contact sparring.

I saw some hilarious stuff. I had some people try some utterly stupid stuff and I converted a lot of people to come to our gym to train. but I also almost go knocked the fuck out with an ax kick I never saw coming

Fighting someone with a totally different style will give even the best fighters pause. Connor has a style that Floyd has never faced professionally. As long as he brings his usual crazy style and doesn't try to box with Floyd he might just have a chance.

Of course he might just get knocked out for not keeping his hands up.
Old 15 July 2017, 23:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local View Post
I wrote a really long response about this fight a few pages back and for the most part everything else I said there still stands.

Floyd is the best living boxer. If Connor tries to box with him he will lose and he will lose badly.

That being said there are couple of wild card factors for this fight that have begun to make me doubt myself.

Floyd is 40+ years old. He retired. He hasn't been training full time for a while now. It takes time to get back there cardio wise. Every real fighter will tell you it's 40% skill, 60+ % cardio. Connor is 20 something and in the prime of his fight career .
To add: partying like a rockstar and banging 24/7 for the last 2 years. All of that combined has me thinking about something possibly extraordinary going down. Although everything here is rightly stated, for why it shouldn't be close based on skill and experience.

I'm not a betting man, but I'm going to bet on CM just for the heck of it. The reward is worth the risk in my mind.
Old 16 July 2017, 00:28
Confirmed User

A question I had for anyone who has done both Boxing and MMA. Which of the two professional sports require the most physical conditioning/stamina?

Thanks
Old 16 July 2017, 04:30
Newbie shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instruct1 View Post
A question I had for anyone who has done both Boxing and MMA. Which of the two professional sports require the most physical conditioning/stamina?

Thanks
They both require as much conditioning as you can possibly bring to the table, if for different things. You can never have too much cardio. There is nothing like fighting 5 five minute rounds, in any rule set. Add body shots, breathing through a mouth piece, it just gets ugly.

Athletes from both boxing and MMA spend huge money on the most advanced sports science to try and wring the very last bit of cardio from their bodies.
Old 16 July 2017, 07:07
Been There Done That

It's what I love about the fight game, no matter who you are--anyone can go from hero to hobo with one punch.
Old 16 July 2017, 17:43
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local View Post
They both require as much conditioning as you can possibly bring to the table, if for different things. You can never have too much cardio. There is nothing like fighting 5 five minute rounds, in any rule set. Add body shots, breathing through a mouth piece, it just gets ugly.

Athletes from both boxing and MMA spend huge money on the most advanced sports science to try and wring the very last bit of cardio from their bodies.
I cannot imagine what it must be like on both sides. It will be interesting to see how the fight "technically" turns out, even though it looks like a circus show right now.
Thanks
Old 16 July 2017, 21:52
FNG

The thing is, even if Conor wins, congrats, you beat a 40 year old, retired dude.

The only real losers in all of this, is the people who are paying money to see this shit show.
Old 20 July 2017, 20:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
The thing is, even if Conor wins, congrats, you beat a 40 year old, retired dude.

The only real losers in all of this, is the people who are paying money to see this shit show.
I plan to pay to see it with a few other people and along with a few beers it will make for fun evening for a few of us no matter how it turns out. Plus his daughter makes killer pizza.

I do not think that Conor has more than the slimmest of miracle chances, but I am paying to see that slim chance pay off or to see him get his mouth shut. That's always the thing with mouthy guys, right?

But, if he did pull it off, I don't think that there will be too many people taking it lightly. Too many of us believe he can't to discount proof that he can. The gate for his very next fight... no matter who it is... will put this one to shame.
Old 21 July 2017, 11:11
Confirmed User

Quote:

I'd argue that if CM were to win, the sport of Boxing would be a big time loser as well.
Old 21 July 2017, 11:55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dziadek View Post
I do not think that Conor has more than the slimmest of miracle chances, but I am paying to see that slim chance pay off or to see him get his mouth shut.

What intrigues me about this fight, is that under Boxing rules, McGregor stands very little chance of winning; but only because he isn't allowed to bring his entire arsenal to the fight.

If the situation were reversed and this fight was under MMA rules, it wouldn't last 30 seconds unless McGregor wanted to draw it out. It would be referee stoppage or a tapout.

In shooting terms, this would be like taking an above-average Tier-1 Operator (Kyle Lamb for example) and having him shoot a USPSA match against Rob Leatham. In a true gunfight Leatham wouldn't stand a chance. But in a USPSA match it's the Tier-1 guy at a serious disadvantage.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 21 July 2017, 11:57
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
What intrigues me about this fight, is that under Boxing rules, McGregor stands very little chance of winning; but only because he isn't allowed to bring his entire arsenal to the fight.

If the situation were reversed and this fight was under MMA rules, it wouldn't last 30 seconds unless McGregor wanted to draw it out. It would be referee stoppage or a tapout.

In shooting terms, this would be like taking an above-average Tier-1 Operator (Kyle Lamb for example) and having him shoot a USPSA match against Rob Leatham. In a true gunfight Leatham wouldn't stand a chance. But in a USPSA match it's the Tier-1 guy at a serious disadvantage.
Yep...it should simply be a fight just like it would on the street. Why not...the point is to have a boxer fight an MMA fighter. If they can't fully use the tools they bring to the table...then it isn't truly "fair."
Old 21 July 2017, 15:36
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
Yep...it should simply be a fight just like it would on the street. Why not...the point is to have a boxer fight an MMA fighter. If they can't fully use the tools they bring to the table...then it isn't truly "fair."
Better yet, have it set in a bar and ring the bell after they've both had a few pints.

Our new posting rules