Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 12 July 2017, 08:21
A/1/75

Mesh Wifi

Anyone here use the Google Mesh Wifi system?

Looks neat. Looking to boost my wifi coverage in the house and this looks perfect.

Charlie
Old 12 July 2017, 08:39
Supporterator

I had the opportunity to check out this setup not long ago. A 16 year old kid talked his folks into letting him replace their dated Apple network with Google Home.

Very close to plug and play, mesh works well. I was impressed by the simplicity.
Old 13 July 2017, 10:30
Been There Done That

I'm interested in doing this because I've got a handful of extenders in my house, which is less than ideal. I think if you have a larger house or unique construction that requires more than one extender this is the only way to get decent connectivity.

I've been waiting to see who else is going to bring something to market because this is definitely the way the market is going. I'm not 100% on any of the existing systems and hope someone will bring a more complete package.
Old 13 July 2017, 10:32
A/1/75

I ordered the Google 3 unit Mesh system. Give me a week or so and I will let you know how it works.

Charlie
Old 13 July 2017, 18:53
Confirmed User

Does the Google Mesh thingy do google stuff like collect every thing you do?
Old 14 July 2017, 07:08
A/1/75

from what I read, no personal data.
Just connectivity time, issues and such.

Charlie
Old 14 July 2017, 08:28
Nexus Schemer

I'm interested in your review, I've had really good luck deploying Ubiquity Wifi Mesh.

https://unifi-mesh.ubnt.com/

The mesh requires an AC-Pro AP and the mesh device. The controlling software is free and sets up in a few minutes.

Parts can be purchased from Amazon, and fairly easy to get. The AP and Mesh AP come with everything you need. POE Injector, mounting hardware for multiple installation scenarios. The MESH adapter is also rated for outside usage.

The Control software is free and allows you to have a lot of control of the Wifi network. Almost Meraki ISH...

I've installed them with very little effort in homes and offices. Work great in a Lake house type of environment pushing high speed wifi out to the dock our outside living spaces.

I did however run into a bit of a slow down going in and out of a brick home into a brick garage but, that's expected with about any Wifi solution

You either get the cloud key controller and have an appliance for the controller or install the software (Free download) on a PC in the environment.

Looking forward to your review.
Old 14 July 2017, 08:44
A/1/75

I have a Nanostation now but that still doesn't boost it enough

Charlie
Old 15 July 2017, 13:05
Authorized Personnel

I'm looking at either of these. The Amplify is wireless and plugs directly into an outlet, the other is POE. I don't think I can easily go POE so my option might be solidified.

https://amplifi.com/
https://www.ubnt.com/ airmax AC
Old 15 July 2017, 15:48
Been There Done That

The amplifi looks like a completely different product than what I looked at last fall. I think I might need to go back and review the changes and updates more closely because it looks like it would be a decent option for me now. Last year they only had a very basic kit without the possibility of adding more mesh points. It looks like it's completely configurable now.
Old 15 July 2017, 18:01
giving you a number

I have the Google mesh system. Works great. Like most google things, you need the app on your phone to get it set up but the setup is straight-forward and painless.

You lose bandwidth on the meshed APs but as an industry we're so overbuilt with available bandwidth you won't notice. It's 802.11ac so the potential is 500mbps between stations.

The one part I thought could have been done better is connecting to wired. In the Google mesh you can only connect one of the APs to wired. The other two must be wirelessly meshed or the app won't configure them. I used another mesh system prior to this (openmesh.com) and you could connect any/all of the APs to wired. I design networks for a living and my house has cat5e in the walls so I have the infrastructure to wire them together but like I said earlier, lots of bandwidth so not a real big issue. The mesh APs only need power. Google mesh doesn't do POE (another difference with the openmesh system) so you need an outlet near wherever you plan to place the APs.

I have the wired base in the middle bottom floor, one mesh north side 2nd floor, and one mesh south side 3rd floor and get solid signal everywhere in the house. I have added a lot of smart devices to the house (the wifi device count is at 24 when I just checked) and everything works great.
Old 15 July 2017, 18:07
Confirmed User

I have had google mesh for a month now and am totally satisfied with the purchase. No more dead spots in house, no problems at all. Huge improvement over old router with wifi extenders.
Regards,
Danny
Old 16 July 2017, 16:30
Administrator

Been thinking about doing mesh here at the house. My issue is that my Internet comes from a dedicated T-Mobile S7 with the Hotspot turned on. So, it gets moved around a lot. I dont have the option for cable or Fios so it's that or satellite. They both suck ass for speed but the phone is much less expensive. The house is 6600 square feet so tough for an S7 to cover that much area.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 17 July 2017, 00:40
Wolverines!

I run a dedicated mifi hotspot at home too through Cricket wireless. I live in a rural area and have terrain issues as well which limit me to satellite or my current option(thank God for 4G LTE). Overall, I'm pretty happy with this setup. How does T-Mobile work for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Been thinking about doing mesh here at the house. My issue is that my Internet comes from a dedicated T-Mobile S7 with the Hotspot turned on. So, it gets moved around a lot. I dont have the option for cable or Fios so it's that or satellite. They both suck ass for speed but the phone is much less expensive. The house is 6600 square feet so tough for an S7 to cover that much area.
Old 17 July 2017, 08:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
The three nodes that came with my google mesh setup were plenty to provide good coverage in my house (6200sq ft). Something I noticed tho, which you may want to consider, is that data usage went up 33% in the month after I installed google mesh (650->950gb). My only explanation is that the network is much more reliable now, and all of the electronic doo-dads in the house are connecting to the internet on a regular basis, instead of not being able to connect consistently with the old wifi system.

Regards,
Danny
Old 17 July 2017, 09:21
Administrator

JohnnyLaw- The T-Mobile works. Not great. I can't stream anything in HD. But it's as fast or faster than Hughesnet and a helluva lot cheaper. Signal isn't great. Running two Cellspot 4G/LTE boosters but cant tell much difference really.

Chesie- Thanks for the heads up. My bandwidth is so limited now that I cant afford to lose any to the nodes so definitely wouldn't do the Google Mesh if that is the case.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 24 July 2017, 07:00
A/1/75

Installation was pretty easy, coverage is great.

Charlie
Old 30 August 2017, 11:01
Been There Done That

I grabbed the Amplifi system and have been running it for a while. I have greatly improved speeds over the extenders I was using. Extenders kill your signal so if you're dealing with that I would dump them and jump into a mesh system.

My main issue was having a large brick house that seems to just absorb the signal. Working from home I need consistent coverage that is strong enough to support video conferencing and regular office type activities. With the Amplifi I now have reliable and strong internet coverage outside about as far as I want it to go. I also have great coverage in every room, though it took a little trial and error of moving the mesh points around to give me the signal strength where I wanted it.

I'm pretty pleased with the setup for now, though I may add one more mesh point in the garage area to support some wireless cameras further out in that direction. The setup was extremely simple and everything is easily configured through the phone app. I wish I had done this sooner. I think this type of setup will become more standard for anything bigger than a small apartment in the future.
Old 30 August 2017, 11:05
A/1/75

Good to hear other options

Charlie
Old 4 September 2017, 13:31
Confirmed User

Doesn't anyone cringe at installing google stuff in their homes like that?

My townhouse isn't big, but it's 2 story, and there are a TON of other signals around. I had a 2 year old, top of the line ASUS wifi router, which wasn't reaching much of the house. I bought an orbi, and one unit fixed it pretty good, with little setup hassle. If I string cable and move it's location 15 feet, it'll be perfect.

Our new posting rules