SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 13 April 2011, 09:17
BTDT

Pawn Stars rip-off

I just watched an episode of Pawn Stars where some poor sucker brought in a Colt mod. 1873 Peacemaker, screw in frame (all screw in frame pistols were made for black powdeer cartridges, later smokeless guns replaced the screw in frame with a spring loaded button to release the cylinder for cleaning), black powder revolver made in 1884. It was nickle plated and in very good condition. The star of the show told the guy that he didn't think that they were normally nickle plated and had to call an "expert" to evalluate it. The "Expert" looked at it and commented that the loading gate had a different serial number than the frame, bbl and grip frame. His "expert" opinion was that the loading gate had been replaced at some point. The "Expert" put the vallue at between 4 and 6 thousand dollars. The star of the show offered the guy 2 K citing the mis-matched serial numbers on the loading gate. That pistol was worth about 12 K. The "Expert" doesn't seem to know that the numbers on the loading gate are "Batch Numbers" and never match the numbers on the gun. I've been collecting Colts for about 40 years and have NEVER come across an 1873 with a number on a loading gate that matches a serial number. I have several NEW IN BOX pistols that have never been fired. None of the loading gate numbers match. That guy has been screwing his customers big time!
Old 13 April 2011, 09:22
Authorized Personnel

That's nice. I have been watching them for the past couple seasons and, IMO, he is probably the expert they call on the most during the season. I'm certainly no collector of weapons, per se, but that is good information to know. Information like that would certainly hurt his credibility being that his "expert" status is based on credibility. Thanks for the post.
Old 13 April 2011, 09:30
Confirmed User

Col,

If either of them knew wtf they were doing (seller and buyer) they would not be at a pawn shop. The seller would be going to a gun shop that buys thoes.

Just like a good watch. You take it to a pawn shop you will get pennies on the dollar. Take it to a watch shop you'll get a lot more money.

RO!!!
Old 13 April 2011, 09:48
Creepy ass cracka

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAT View Post
Col,

If either of them knew wtf they were doing (seller and buyer) they would not be at a pawn shop. The seller would be going to a gun shop that buys thoes.

Just like a good watch. You take it to a pawn shop you will get pennies on the dollar. Take it to a watch shop you'll get a lot more money.

RO!!!
Yup, buyer beware.

I watched that show a couple of times and it amazed me why some people would bring these items to a pawn shop and not somewere that would buy these items at full value or even ebay.

Meh, stupid people deserve what they get.
Old 13 April 2011, 10:11
Authorized Personnel

I think most of them want their money "right then". They are usually given a price quote that they could receive at an auction which is generally a good bit more than what the pawn shop is willing to pay. The pawn shop is banking on the fact that the seller wants the cash right then and there so they capitalize on it.
Old 13 April 2011, 10:36
Ne Obliviscaris

I like the show as its entertaining at times just to see what poor Chumley gets to do. I saw that particular show with the Colt and I couldn't believe the guy wanted to part with such a sweet piece. Cant be too many out there in that good of condition. IMHO, the seller got what he deserved. The store owner dont know jack squat about half the stuff that comes across his counter. He always has to call in an "expert". Well, the dude took what was offered. He should have done his own research. Have these people never heard of the internet or getting an opnion from a gun store? Besides, being reality TV, I think a lot of it is staged and rehearsed beforehand. I could be wrong.
Old 13 April 2011, 10:38
Confirmed User

I definitely think they screw their customers, but I also think the customers deserve it sometimes because they took a really expensive item to a pawn shop in the first place.

All in all, I think of the show as entertainment. I enjoy seeing the items that come into the pawn shop.
Old 13 April 2011, 10:41
Authorized Personnel

Well if I'm selling, it pays to to get several estimates and try to sell somewhere besides a pawn shop.

Confirmed as a"Cynical, Sarcastic, Bastard" by a co-worker in Mosul Iraq 22 May 2006.

"I'm a Black Jew at a Nazi Klan rally. LET'S GET IT ON!" Ted Nugent 2008

"I'm a fairly dangerous man when I'm scared!"
Old 13 April 2011, 10:42
shiver me timbers

There was another episode where a guy brought in a vintage ship's chronometer that appeared not to be working, well the bald dude bought it for 500 bucks, then got it checked out; turns out the movement had a sort of shipping wedge in it to protect it. Value: 2500.

If anything, this show is a great way to learn where exactly not to sell one's valuable family heirlooms. Pawn shops are a great place to buy watches, guitars, tools, but I would have to really be in a bind to sell anything to a pawn shop.
Old 13 April 2011, 11:13
Ne Obliviscaris

The expert Sean who appraises antique firearms seems to have made a stink amongst USMC vets for wearing a USMC boonie cover he got from his brother who supposedly was a Marine now serving in AF reserves. He apologizes on his company bio page.
tortugatrading.com/engine/about.asp
Old 13 April 2011, 11:16
BTDT

If he sold it for $2,000, the shop would probably ask $4,000? Can I buy it and sell it to you Sir for $11,500?:)

"Immature jackoff/asshole/agitator"

"I can only say I'm sorry so many times and mean it" Homer Simpson
Old 13 April 2011, 11:16
Life is simple, not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAT View Post
Col,

RO!!!
Exactly. There are so many bad deals on this show that I can't watch it anymore.

I keep saying "walk away, that's not enough money" but they rarely walk away.
Old 13 April 2011, 11:18
Valhalla July 4, 2016 RIP Frogman

It has not been mentioned here just how much the "called in expert" makes when he does an evalualtlion. And because the expert does repeat business with the Pawn Shop, is there an advanced agreement to devalue the rare item to be pawned so that both the Pawn Shop and the Expert make a little side money at the cost of the selling party.

In the case of the gun with the mis-matching numbers I feel sure if someone were to jump on his computer (if he has not already hocked it) and advertise on a gun Website, the phone would start ringing $$$$$ in very little time.
Old 13 April 2011, 12:37
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltrane View Post
There was another episode where a guy brought in a vintage ship's chronometer that appeared not to be working, well the bald dude bought it for 500 bucks, then got it checked out; turns out the movement had a sort of shipping wedge in it to protect it. Value: 2500.

If anything, this show is a great way to learn where exactly not to sell one's valuable family heirlooms. Pawn shops are a great place to buy watches, guitars, tools, but I would have to really be in a bind to sell anything to a pawn shop.
I saw that one with the chronometer. That was some funny shit.

I wonder how much stuff ends up on the editing floor we never see.

Remember, this is a pawn shop - in Vegas. Most of these people likely have a gambling addiction.

The coolest one was the dude who bought the storage unit and it had an original unused unpainted, unprimered Shelby Cobra body in it. They had to verify it was real and not a knock-off.

It was real. I forget what it sold for but it was a lot. The pawn stars dudes then had it outfitted and restored and put on the road.

Chumlee is just fucking so stupid he's funny.

I also liked the one where the woman brought in a bell she bought in Indonesia or somewhere and had it shipped here. They told her it was likely just a repro made to look old since Indonesians have that market down pat (and they do, I worked at a furniture shop in college and the owner would have containers of Indonesian stuff shipped over here for sale - they were excellent at making shit look very old, but still look very good).

Turns out the bell actually was original and about 6 or 700 years old.
Old 13 April 2011, 12:57
Broke D***

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
The coolest one was the dude who bought the storage unit and it had an original unused unpainted, unprimered Shelby Cobra body in it. They had to verify it was real and not a knock-off.
I saw that episode... The one thing that always pisses me off is that they use the whole "I gotta leave room for profit" excuse to where they devalue their purchase price and the price they could sell the item for.

But it's always fun to see the shop get screwed when they do.
Old 13 April 2011, 13:14
Confirmed User

They have a strange idea of what a pawn shop is.
They'll buy high ticket items with a very slow turn around rate, and take time to get stuff restored.

All the people bringing stuff in need to research this stuff themselves and never believe the "experts" the show brings in.

The only expert who I have any respect for is the guy who works at the museum who never gives prices.

It's a reality show, so I immediately suspect it as being scripted and using actors.
Old 13 April 2011, 13:28
Been That, **** *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmurph View Post

I just watched an episode of Pawn Stars where some poor sucker brought in a Colt mod. 1873 Peacemaker............. The star of the show offered the guy 2 K..............

That pistol was worth about 12 K......

I've been collecting Colts for about 40 years..........
Opportunity perhaps?
Old 13 April 2011, 14:44
Policeman Officer

I actually really like the show. They don't seem to be outright ripping people off, and you should expect to get screwed in a pawn shop.

Each episode is an education in negotiations and human nature. Plus they have some really cool shit on there sometimes.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 13 April 2011, 15:00
Confirmed User

The Fabrege Spider they bought may be a fake.

http://askville.amazon.com/Faberge-S...estId=76490045

Loved how Rick said he had a conscience and gave her $15k rather than the $2k she was asking for. Were the cameras not there, I bet he would have offered her $1k without a qualm.

Sad to see how many people sell family heirlooms to support their gambling addictions.
Old 13 April 2011, 15:18
Nec Aspera Terrent

I like the show, although I don't haven't watched a new episode for several months. As others say, you know it's a reality show, and some parts you question just how, "real" it is. It is sad to see people sell-off priceless heirlooms or other items, just like that, and in a number of instances, get ripped-off.

Still, they have plenty of chances to back-off, and being Vegas, I do imagine many of them have gambling issues and need the cash ASAP.

I think it was the first episode, some complete idiot brought in a Martin Baker Mk 7 out of a retired F-4 Phantom. Apparently, his father was in the USAF and stole it from (Davis Monthan?) where the plane was being deactivated, and kept it at home. Rick called-in a friend who was a former Phantom ground crew mechanic and the guy took a quick look around at it. The seat was still fully-armed - parachute, explosive charges, rocket and all.

The dude is fucking lucky he, or anyone else never pulled the handles!

Chumlee never fails to make me shake my head and laugh.

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."

Our new posting rules