Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Terrorism and Asymmetric Warfare

Old 27 October 2017, 03:46

Benghazi 2012

Just got to watchin the movie 13 Hpurs, read the book earlier on a flight this summer and saw the interview of the security team also a while back.

When there is a civil war etc, the UN is involved with peacekeepers for years or in some cases decades, Bosnia, Middle-East. For all the shit the UN catches, well at least the peacekeeping helps out in many places.

When everything went south in Libya, I guess this did not warrant an action on the ground by UN/NATO etc. further than SOF/SMU work?

With regards to the actual timeline during the Sept 11 attacks, as the country had already been bombed from the air etc earlier on, who was the ultimate decision maker for not deploying aircraft for even low overflights?

Luckily for the CIA staff, sometimes a few guys in the right place with the right training can be enough.
Old 27 October 2017, 05:08
Authorized Personnel

Please don't believe everything you see in the movies.

The attack at the diplomatic compound lasted about 2 hours. Everyone was off that compound by about midnight.

The attack at the annex was nothing like what was portrayed in the movie. The movie depicted these human wave attacks a la Black hawk Down. That did not happen. There were 2 or 3 probes to include SAF and RPGs. The mortar attacked happened near dawn many hours aftre the last probe. The last mortar round was in the air before the first round impacted. There were no spotting rounds. No doubt the mortars had VERY good gun data or they were VERY lucky. I think they were an experienced mortar crew with a 10 digit grid of the target.

I'm in no way denigrating the heroic live-saving actions of numerous people. Nor am I minimizing the high-level cover ups that took place before, during, and after the incident. I'm not convinced CAS or low level overflights were realistic given the timing of events. When they left the diplomatic compound, they had no reason to thing the annex would be attacked.
Old 27 October 2017, 06:25

Hi,

Yes, I did note differences in the movie vs. book written and did not mean to base by comments on the movie, just the event in general.

As for the interview and book, I would like to believe they gave a good ( honest ) account what happened. I cant find it online anymore but it had four of the GRS team members being interviewed.

More of a thought into the whole handling of a breakdown in government in a country like that. Plenty of countries have been intervened in with various level of success ( Bosnia, Somalia etc )

But in this case it was left up to an air campaign and SOF work on the ground and we can see where that lead to.

Our new posting rules