Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 10 November 2017, 09:50
Animal Tamer

Save me a spot to come back in 16 months... Your statement is 100% accurate Agoge.
Old 10 November 2017, 13:51
Confirmed User

I've got a brother that needs to look into doing something like this. His current job is taking him nowhere. Fortunately, I'll be seeing him for Thanksgiving this year and will try to get him to look at some of the threads and posts y'all have shared.

Out of curiosity what are the chances of someone with no prior LE experience, with a bachelors degree in something other than CJ (can't remember what he got but remember thinking it was useless), 10 years of mil experience sitting at E6? I'd hate to suggest something that he has no shot at. However, I wouldn't mind telling him how to get his foot in the door and that it's going to be a lot of hard work.
Old 10 November 2017, 15:28
MSMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChai View Post
Out of curiosity what are the chances of someone with no prior LE experience, with a bachelors degree in something other than CJ (can't remember what he got but remember thinking it was useless), 10 years of mil experience sitting at E6? I'd hate to suggest something that he has no shot at. However, I wouldn't mind telling him how to get his foot in the door and that it's going to be a lot of hard work.
Many places have an age requirement, but 10 years military and a bachelor's will work greatly in his favor anywhere he applies if he can meet the other requirements.

As far as a non-cj degree, nobody cares about a criminal justice degree unless you plan on teaching criminal justice. I wouldn't recommend anyone get a degree with that major, it's just another useless liberal arts degree. I have one and wish I'd majored in just about anything else.The vast majority of departments don't care at all what your major is, the degree requirement is just a check of the box.

ETA: To the extent anyone does care about an applicant's college major, they look for useful skillsets that might be an asset to the department like accounting, computer or language skills.
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny ... it is the light that guides your way.
~ Heraclitus

Last edited by Tracker; 10 November 2017 at 15:39.
Old 10 November 2017, 16:30
It is what it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
Thanks for explaining the LE hiring process
You a LEO?

Any agency that would take a GED over the OPs education and experience, more than likely isn't worth working for.
I was talking theoretical. My dad has a bachelor's degree with LE experience and was turned down by 4 agencies before he found the one that he is at now. At one of those agencies, I knew a guy that got hired on and went to the academy at the time with which my dad had gone if he was not certified already and had been hired as well. And he had only a HS diploma and experience bagging groceries.
Some agencies look at the person, not the resume. I've seen people from the military struggle to go over the heads of people with next to nothing, some that have never carried a gun before. My advice isn't to only apply where you feel like they'll take you. Apply where you feel comfortable first and then apply elsewhere. Anywhere you go, you can be seen as an asset. But in some places, effort means nothing unless you're effort is a certain kind. Typically, good effort is frowned upon in places that you'll find that you don't want to work at. Leaving to go somewhere else at that point is the struggle. I know several people from the Charleston county sheriff's office that would tell you that in a heart beat. And I've worked with the local PD, not for them. I'm familiar with their process even though I've never been an LEO.
And to FSB, in most places it is that simple. In some it's not. Some agencies have high standards and take people that probably couldn't spell "military" and make them decent LEOs and others have low standards and take people from even the best of OPs as well as everywhere in between. Again, this is theoretical. It's the idea, not literal.

Last edited by BulletAim; 10 November 2017 at 16:35.
Old 10 November 2017, 16:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletAim View Post
Some agencies look at the person, not the resume.
As well they should. A resume is great, as is prior experience, but thatís only part of the story.
Old 10 November 2017, 16:42
It is what it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front_Sight_Bang View Post
As well they should. A resume is great, as is prior experience, but thatís only part of the story.
You're right. I'm not saying that what I said apples everywhere. I'm just sharing what I've seen. Sometimes it is the whole story and sometimes you'll be hired being infantry over someone with 20 years of experience because they like you more. You never know until you try. But I do agree that you should absolutely apply where you want your services to go to first. But if they don't take you, go elsewhere and show what you're made of. Just be cautious of how and stay safe.
Old 10 November 2017, 19:12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletAim View Post
I was talking theoretical.

One of the guiding principles of this site is that we don't do opinions that aren't based on experience. I don't dispense advice to people trying to become SEALs because I don't have experience as a SEAL and there are plenty of them here who can give accurate information and advice that was earned the hard way.

Do I need to say more?
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 11 November 2017, 13:21
Animal Tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
One of the guiding principles of this site is that we don't do opinions that aren't based on experience. I don't dispense advice to people trying to become SEALs because I don't have experience as a SEAL and there are plenty of them here who can give accurate information and advice that was earned the hard way.

Do I need to say more?
You beat me to it. Son Iím sure you are well intending with your second-hand LE advice but you are way out of your lane.
Old 11 November 2017, 13:28
Animal Tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChai View Post
I've got a brother that needs to look into doing something like this. His current job is taking him nowhere. Fortunately, I'll be seeing him for Thanksgiving this year and will try to get him to look at some of the threads and posts y'all have shared.

Your brotherís military experience and degree will be well received at a lot of LE agencies. Naturally, he is still going to have to stack up against other recruits. Donít let him sell himself short.
Old 12 November 2017, 19:23
Confirmed User

If you are looking to stay in the PNW, I have contacts in a number of agencies throughout. PM me for more detail.

Our new posting rules