SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 22 February 2018, 19:30
Been There Done That

Florida Deputy remained outside of school

Mods,
If this needs to go up in the shooting thread in the Lounge, I regret posting here.
fkl

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...201636649.html

Another "casualty". Video showed him remaining outside the firefight.

Last time I attended active shooter training, our task was not to wait but go in and do the deed.
Old 22 February 2018, 19:31
Been There Done That

Coward.
Old 22 February 2018, 19:41

I just saw and came over to post this. Beat me to it.

Fuck this coward. He may not have been able to save them all but at least a few of these children are dead because of him.
Old 22 February 2018, 19:50
Supporterator

His moment of truth came and he was unprepared. Disgraceful.
Old 22 February 2018, 19:52
Authorized Personnel

Not everyone who wears a badge is truly called and suited for that position.

He was weighed in the scales and found wanting. He will have to live with that for the rest of his life.
Old 22 February 2018, 20:28
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
Not everyone who wears a badge is truly called and suited for that position.

He was weighed in the scales and found wanting. He will have to live with that for the rest of his life.
May be live forever. I just read he resigned.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 22 February 2018, 20:22
Anesthetized User

Some people just freeze up. It happens.

But his LE career needs to be over.

Duty to act comes to mind.

Primum Non Nocere.
Was there something you left behind
Don't you remember

Support SOCNET.
Old 22 February 2018, 20:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
Mods,
If this needs to go up in the shooting thread in the Lounge, I regret posting here.
fkl

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...201636649.html

Another "casualty". Video showed him remaining outside the firefight.

Last time I attended active shooter training, our task was not to wait but go in and do the deed.
.... so the Sheriff, who is against teachers being armed, wants to put a cop at every school. His theory, as currently tested is found wanting.

In general, I think it would be a good idea, but it's not any kind of guarantee. The Sheriff's best idea (in the Town Hall) was to make schools PHYSICALLY less vulnerable. Build a wall - Inspect everyone entering. Some will say it costs too much.
The question is whether or not we're going to look at effective strategies to stop the tragic but rare mass school shootings.
Old 22 February 2018, 21:34
Shovel Whisperer

Boys that's hard to read!
Old 22 February 2018, 22:15
Policeman Officer

Complete piece of shit.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 22 February 2018, 22:37
Fan ar an gcosŠn

In general I'm not surprised. I've unfortunately seen many LEOs in areas that don't properly train on active shooter/threat still follow the, "Wait for tactical units" pre-Columbine model when exercising their response. It is often still a shit show of poor communication and random luck who does or doesn't aggressively stop the threat or implement rescue task forces.

"The FBI, in an earlier and equally astonishing admission, said last week that the agency failed to act on a tip in January that Cruz was a possible violent threat." - Less and less surprising that these things are missed. The FBI like some of the under trained LEOs I've observed also poorly communicated with other levels of response on many occasions.
Old 22 February 2018, 23:38
Confirmed User

A total disgrace. He should have handed his weapon to the JROTC kids, at least they had some guts.
Old 23 February 2018, 00:02
Another pool cleaner

Actually, I think this just illustrates the saying that it's not the gun, but the person & the deed that counts.

A person will do bad things, with or without a gun.

A person will do good things, with or without a gun.

A person with a gun can do bad things, good things or nothing.

Cruz demonstrated the former. Officer Peterson did the latter.

I want to be mad at Officer Peterson, but I'll wager that many people, with or without a gun, will do similar. Just how folks are wired. We've been taught for generations to AVOID conflict instead of DEALING with it. In times of stress, we revert to habit.

Training is the key. But it takes money, time and effort. What gov't or institution finds that important?

No legislation will remove bad deeds. That is Tide pod stupid.
Old 23 February 2018, 00:14
Did...did I do that?

Bastard was allowed to resign and retire. F that. If you're on suspension, it should be like a personnel flag in the military. No favorable personnel actions, to include retirement.
Old 23 February 2018, 01:32
Life is simple, not easy.

If the Broward County Sheriff had any integrity he would resign tonight. But then if he had any integrity he wouldn't have gone on the CNN town hall last night to blame the NRA as he sat on evidence that the incompetence and cowardice of his own ppl let the shooting happen.
Old 23 February 2018, 07:55

I'm very clear no one here would condone Peterson's inaction. But in my opinion this POS doesn't get the luxury of saying "I froze up."

For nearly two decades active shooter tactics have dictated that the first person on scene closes with and destroys the enemy. In the unlikely scenario that Broward County is training ancient doctrine and having deputies wait for backup, that is on the county and Peterson for not being more prepared. If Broward Co. decided that Peterson was a bag of shit and put him in that resource deputy spot just to have something to do with him, that's on Broward S.O. supervision and Peterson. Either way, Peterson is a total POS who might as well be an accessory to the murders.

No one has forgotten, but never forget that while Peterson was "waiting for backup" Ted's friend coach Aaron Feis and a bunch of other unarmed heroes including students were putting their lives at risk to save others. They didn't "freeze up" and they weren't carrying a gun or wearing body armor.

I do my best not to MMQB the actions of our military or LEO but sorry, if your job dictates you protecting the lives of children from mass murderers and you "freeze up", you are a worthless human being. I wouldn't at all be surprised to hear Peterson eats his gun in the next few months. If he does, fuck him, he still got off easier than the people in that school.

Sorry for the rant, this one really got me fired up.
Old 23 February 2018, 08:13
Bitter old man.

Coward

Sheriff needs to resign too. His incompetence let this happen.
Old 23 February 2018, 08:47
Clorox bearer for SOTB

If you are placed in a school, for the sole purpose of protecting the people there, and fail to do the only responsibility you have because you are mentally unprepared to act, you really need to rethink your career choice. No amount of training can instill mental fortitude if it is lacking.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 23 February 2018, 08:56
Confirmed User

This whole event has me madder than hell. I don’t post here often but I’m continuing to dig into this and it’s becoming clear there is just too much to ignore. In light of everything else going on and the issue of ‘deep state’ activities within governments connected to the last administration local and federal; I came across this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheLastRe...54507744374784

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/9...744374784.html

If it’s tin foil crap my deepest apologies. If it’s even 10% true there needs be an independent congressional investigation of the FBI, Broward and Dade County LEA and School Boards.

Sheriff Scott Isreal is a puppet of Debbie Waserman-Shultz, the DNC and HRC. I knew nothing of him before this week and the CNN Town Hall event has made me dig into all sorts of information out there.

There is blood on the hands of many and it’s becoming clear how we got to what should have been completely preventable to a reality. They really really want your guns!!! They will sacrifice our children to accomplish this.
Old 23 February 2018, 09:42
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
This whole event has me madder than hell. I donít post here often but Iím continuing to dig into this and itís becoming clear there is just too much to ignore. In light of everything else going on and the issue of Ďdeep stateí activities within governments connected to the last administration local and federal; I came across this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheLastRe...54507744374784

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/9...744374784.html

If itís tin foil crap my deepest apologies. If itís even 10% true there needs be an independent congressional investigation of the FBI, Broward and Dade County LEA and School Boards.

Sheriff Scott Isreal is a puppet of Debbie Waserman-Shultz, the DNC and HRC. I knew nothing of him before this week and the CNN Town Hall event has made me dig into all sorts of information out there.

There is blood on the hands of many and itís becoming clear how we got to what should have been completely preventable to a reality. They really really want your guns!!! They will sacrifice our children to accomplish this.
No need for tin foil, that is 1000000% plausible.

Our new posting rules