SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 15 October 2017, 16:28
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Clemson only drops 5 spots after losing to Syracuse, while Oklahoma takes a free fall to #12 after losing in a similar fashion to ISU.

What's wrong with this picture?
Old 15 October 2017, 19:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Clemson only drops 5 spots after losing to Syracuse, while Oklahoma takes a free fall to #12 after losing in a similar fashion to ISU.

Must be some sort of conspiracy to help Alabama.
Old 15 October 2017, 20:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
Must be some sort of conspiracy to help Alabama.
From what I saw yesterday, I'm not so sure Alabama needs help. The Machine keeps grinding away, while others jockey for position...and oh yeah, Oklahoma is in the Big 12. Over the years, I've noticed a faint, almost undetectable bias toward the Big 12 going way back to the old SWC....but it's probably just me..
Old 15 October 2017, 21:02
Confirmed User

Quote:

That is BS designed to keep them active for the playoffs if they win out.
Old 15 October 2017, 21:14
Life is simple, not easy.

Ohio State has been playing weak opponents since the loss to OK, but they've hung 38, 54, 56, 62 and 56 on the next five. What does that mean? Probably not a whole lot other than they've untracked a stalled offense going back to last year. Next up in two weeks after a bye is current #2 Penn State. They win that game and they'll move closer to the CFB final four. Not out of this yet.
Old 15 October 2017, 23:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats View Post
From what I saw yesterday, I'm not so sure Alabama needs help. The Machine keeps grinding away, while others jockey for position...and oh yeah, Oklahoma is in the Big 12. Over the years, I've noticed a faint, almost undetectable bias toward the Big 12 going way back to the old SWC....but it's probably just me..
They donít need help, he just likes to find every way possible, no matter how far out, to act like everything is rigged to help Alabama.

Alabama isnít unbeatable though.
Old 16 October 2017, 06:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
That's the most likely scenario. Even havok agrees with that.
Old 16 October 2017, 08:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
That's the most likely scenario. Even havok agrees with that.
Seeing how the playoff committee has operated since its inception, even though they are supposed to establish their own poll based on season performance, their polls end up nearly matching the AP and Coaches Polls.
Old 16 October 2017, 12:59
Been There Done That

Quit looking at the Polls, they don't mean anything. Until November, maybe late November. You should be looking at injuries. Then there is always next year !
Old 16 October 2017, 14:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
That might work if they beat NC State in the regular season and win the ACC. But if State wins and/or they lose the ACC championship, things will get interesting.
Old 16 October 2017, 16:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
That might work if they beat NC State in the regular season and win the ACC. But if State wins and/or they lose the ACC championship, things will get interesting.
NC State basically gave the game away last year, missing on a 33 year yard FG with just seconds left on the clock in regulation.

Maybe this is their year. They even beat Syracuse this year, a good omen!
Old 16 October 2017, 21:54
Confirmed User

Do we have any BC football fans on here??? Interested to see if anyone has an informed opinion on their QB situation.

My starting QB is committed to BC, wondering if he's got a shot at starting as a true freshman.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospec...-valecce-15140
Old 16 October 2017, 22:40
"One shot"...you know the rest..

Quote:

Aaand OU barely beat Baylor the week before.
Old 17 October 2017, 08:46
Confirmed User

Quote:
NC State basically gave the game away last year, missing on a 33 year yard FG with just seconds left on the clock in regulation.

Maybe this is their year. They even beat Syracuse this year, a good omen!
Yes, if they are going to do it, now is the time. This State team is vastly better than last year's, and if they can replicate Syracuse's game plan, they have a good shot.
Old 17 October 2017, 10:39
RIP Cass and SOTB

It will take a lot more than replicating a game plan to replicate what Syracuse did.

If Kelly Bryant is still injured you have a much better shot. If the defense spends most of the game on the field due to lack of offensive production you have a shot. If the kicker continues to suck balls and miss everything. You have a much better shot.

After seeing the tempo and adjustments from Syracuse, the defensive coordinator will fix that over the next couple of weeks.

I will take nothing away from NC State. Great team. Lots of talent. But it won’t be a walk in the park to beat Clemson and not as simple as it’s being presented to do. Same thing with Alabama and Georgia. Lots of things will need to align and fall into place for a loss to occur.
Old 17 October 2017, 13:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Aaand OU barely beat Baylor the week before.
As far as these polls go, there should be a penalty for barely eking out a win against a weaker opponent. Not as precipitous a drop as actually losing, but they shouldn't just get a pass because they (luckily) won the game but got their ass handed to them every step of the way until the final seconds tick off the clock.

That would be a more sane way of approaching this whole poll nonsense, because at this point just winning out isn't enough. Especially when you consider all of the cream puffs a team like Alabama has on their schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
Yes, if they are going to do it, now is the time. This State team is vastly better than last year's, and if they can replicate Syracuse's game plan, they have a good shot.
I agree, absolutely.

Go State!!

Last edited by Spinner; 17 October 2017 at 14:07.
Old 17 October 2017, 14:38
Been There Done That

Quote:

That would be a more sane way of approaching this whole poll nonsense, because at this point just winning out isn't enough. Especially when you consider all of the cream puffs a team like Alabama has on their schedule.

Alabama plays 1 more non power 5 school than Oklahoma, and they also play a conference championship, which Oklahoma wont, so the schedule differences are negligible.
Old 17 October 2017, 15:29

I'm looking at their schedule right now, just a couple of teams really stand out as being formidable opponents.

Although who knows, perhaps Mercer is tougher than everybody thinks.
Old 17 October 2017, 16:17
Been There Done That

Quote:
I'm looking at their schedule right now, just a couple of teams really stand out as being formidable opponents.

Although who knows, perhaps Mercer is tougher than everybody thinks.
Probably at least as good as UTEP.

ETA: Good thing TCU has the win over jackson state to really prove their worth in the top 10. Seriously, your bias is getting old. You dont like Alabama, we get it. I can really care less about the team, but their program is a powerhouse. You're make arguments for the sake of making arguments. Alabama will finish the season playing Georgia, one of the current best teams in the country, and will go on to the playoffs if they win, while your Big 12 schools will just declare someone a champion and hope that team appeals to the playoff committee.

Last edited by havok88; 17 October 2017 at 16:25.
Old 17 October 2017, 16:38
Been There Done That

Wrong. Big 12 now has a championship game. Not that I hold much stock in the Big 12 these days. The only teams they can beat are themselves and over-ranked B1G teams.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister

Our new posting rules