SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 15 September 2019, 09:08
Living The Grunt Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Who would have ever thought 30 years ago, people in my community would be going ballistic, protesting and upset over a Chicken restaurant that donates money to the Salvation Army and The Fellowship of Christian Athletes. And who would have ever thought that those two organizations are being labeled as Hate groups and linked with groups like the KKK by the left. Those on the left have lost their common sense and minds. The division is too great now for compromise or healing.
That's because this ship doesn't truly want to have its course corrected. Our nation has become one of personal agendas rather than what's good for the nation as a whole.
Old 15 September 2019, 09:13
Been There Done That

Sadly 9/11 should have been a wake up call, and it was for a short time.

As the old saying goes, “hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, weak men create hard times”.
Old 15 September 2019, 13:25
been ***** **** that

Quote:
Sadly 9/11 should have been a wake up call, and it was for a short time.

As the old saying goes, “hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, weak men create hard times”.
Hopefully, I can remember that quote, but I'll probably phuque it all up in some future conversation!
Old 15 September 2019, 13:55
Isiah 52:13-53:12

For those of us with memory problems
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D734CF41-48A2-4361-9D6E-CB2327E404D5.jpeg (59.1 KB, 301 views)

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

“A little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back.” -Francis Bacon
Old 16 September 2019, 10:14
BTDT

Q:
Quote:
Who would have ever thought 30 years ago...
Submitted for review:

A: MOST OF US

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thirty years ago -in the 80’s we lamented an assassinated wife beater and child abuser because he wrote song “Imagining” the beauty of a world transformed by communism.
The evil women hating Republicans put the first female Supreme Court Justice on the bench.

The POTUS was a party outside better known for his celebrity status than for his political savvy and he frequently said crazy shit that made his political opponents claim he was too old and crazed to be the POTUS.

An entailed democrat was in bed with foreigners in hopes of impacting the election against the republican - democrats were not outraged as his behavior (because he was liberal political royalty) but hated the republican POTUS because he was
a republican.

Great Britain also gave us a new Prime Minister that was ideologically aligned with the celebrity, former democrat, now republican US president.

In the 80’s a computer was named “Time Magazines Man of the Year” – we had strained US and Russia relations - there were discussions about the sovereignty of Hong Kong - there were pro-democracy protests in China that were seen by the entire world.

We were introduced to Mad Cow disease (now we have unlike Rachel Maddcow disease).

The Russians also had a bizarre nuclear accident.

Corporate juggernauts gave us “New Coke” “Windows” “Fox” “The Simpsons” "MTV VMA's"
…and the 24 hour news cycle.

We all should have seen "this" coming but when we said something about the odd culture shift, we where just ridiculed and called conspiracy nuts...
...just like now

The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield

Last edited by Box; 16 September 2019 at 10:21.
Old 24 September 2019, 08:51
Been There Done That

This Swedish Chick drama queen and all her followers is taking things to the extreme. Many young people protesting have no clue, and do not even realize much of the hypocrisy and ramifications.

Now I am pretty green, literally risked my life for years protecting the environment and have an undergraduate and graduate degrees in the field of study.

But this is taking it to the extreme. Yes, there are some negative effects I believe to man made carbon emissions/climate change. Seen first hand some of the regional devastating effects. You can’t keep on increasing emissions and cutting down carbon sinks (forest) without some sort of negative effects, short and long term. But deforestation has many other negative effects - loss of wildlife habitat, social/cultural/livelihood impacts, erosion/flooding. Carbon tax credits - major scam. Looks great on paper- but from first hand experience I can tell you it does not work cause usually you are dealing with corrupt and greedy govt. officials, and does nothing to actually reduce emissions- the opposite.

You have to have a sustainable balance between development and conservation. Realistic . Protect the environment, air and water quality. While at same time maintaining/increasing standards of living.

So instead of protesting - missing school? Study! Get that degree in agriculture, forestry, or engineering (industrial, agricultural, environmental). Come up with real workable solutions (while earning a decent paycheck). Solutions that improve life while minimizing resources (which also usually help
Increase profits). Or go into conservation law enforcement.

Also understand, here in the USA we have already accomplished much through innovation, technology and yes some public awareness and needed govt. control. Look at how clean our cities are, our air and water compared to 40 years ago. Look at agriculture yields, yet soil erosion drastically reduced.

I will admit, I like air con, electricity, indoor plumbing. I have lived for years in places with none of those things. Let’s see how long those kids could go without that. I like being able to drive and fly. Yes, reuse, reduce, recycle. But be realistic, not idealistic. Technology has actually in many ways helped the environment.

Instead of holding up banners and blocking traffic - how about the students instead take a day to: plant some trees, pick up trash, do some soil or forest conservation work, volunteer for a nature center, pledge to walk or ride a bike to school instead of mom’s SUV. Things that might actually make an impact.

Last edited by leopardprey; 24 September 2019 at 08:59.
Old 24 September 2019, 08:55
Shakin' the bush Boss

Crazy talk.
Old 24 September 2019, 08:56
Living The Grunt Life

Quote:
...Your Post...
Brother, those are awesome ideas, but you do realize -- I am sure -- that those things require "true" desire to make things better and the discipline to follow through logically and realistically. Those types simply want things quickly, unrealistically, and based on emotions. It takes a mindset change to get them from one to the other and many of them don't want to change it because it requires work.
Old 24 September 2019, 09:09
Been There Done That

Fortunately I live next to a large university that specializes in agriculture/natural resources and engineering - so motivated by the thousands of students I see studying in those fields now - instead of protesting (usually liberal arts students who have no clue).

Yep, once the fun of the walk out and protest ends they will back to their iPhones, in their air con houses, eating ice cream and pizza, and driving in their parent’s SUVs, wearing the latest fashions (made from cotton or petroleum products in third world factories with unregulated chemicals).

Whereas the student who gets a degree in environmental or industrial engineering will go to work for a large garment manufacturer (like 5.11 or The North Face), travel to their manufacturing facilities in places like Cambodia and come up with environmentally friendly ways to reduce overhead, utilities and waste. Do a environmental impact assessment and mitigate negative impacts, and implement positive solutions. (This has actually happened).
Old 24 September 2019, 09:43
Confronting the Reckoning

Is that Subaru plant really zero emissions?
Old 24 September 2019, 09:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post
Is that Subaru plant really zero emissions?
Zero landfill

https://www.scientificamerican.com/c...owastefactory/
Old 24 September 2019, 10:38
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Brother, those are awesome ideas, but you do realize -- I am sure -- that those things require "true" desire to make things better and the discipline to follow through logically and realistically. Those types simply want things quickly, unrealistically, and based on emotions. It takes a mindset change to get them from one to the other and many of them don't want to change it because it requires work.
Steel on target.
Old 24 September 2019, 10:42
Been There Done That

Why the youth/students are always manipulated by a very few ideologically evil to do their dirty work. Youth/students are still emotionally idealistic. Cause they have not had yet the reality of having to work for a living, raise a family, had the life experiences yet to truly and logically understand life’s realities.
Old 24 September 2019, 10:46
Confronting the Reckoning

Thumbs up

Quote:
Good--becomes an additional cost of doing business, but there it is. Many municipalities have stopped recycling because there is no market (or it is not profitable business) for cardboard and glass.
Old 24 September 2019, 10:51
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Great read.
Old 24 September 2019, 10:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by just11b View Post
Great read.
Yep. Real environmental solutions, in my community. And was accomplished long before some drama queen from Sweden was ranting on about how terrible life is, how she will have no future “you have stolen my dreams!!”.

Last edited by leopardprey; 24 September 2019 at 11:13.
Old 24 September 2019, 11:13
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Yep. Real environmental solutions, in my community. And was accomplished long before some drama queen from Sweden was ranting on about how terrible life is, how she will have no future.
The brat needs a spanking, but in her country, the parents would be arrested for it. I don't get the whole "I have no future" bullshit. Who promised her a future. The brat should meet a few kids I know that would be glad to fill in her skin suit for the opportunity to walk, or rollover, or eat from something other than a liquid source pumped into her stomach. This Child should be lucky to be as old as she is.
Old 24 September 2019, 11:15
Been There Done That

Well said, but.......Her dreams have been stolen! (Said while Soros pays for her air tickets to fly around internationally, stay at nice hotels, eat nice dinners, and give speeches in nice climate controlled venues).
Old 24 September 2019, 11:23
Shakin' the bush Boss

I was listening to some 16yo snowflake on the radio just now that did some protest in DC last week and it was "unfair" that her school didn't make it an excused absence. And the saw no point in studying to prepare for a future that wasn't going to be there. They've got all these kids convinced that the end of the world is coming next month if we don't do something about the evil capitalists and their satan Trump.
Old 24 September 2019, 11:47
Administrator

Quote:
This Swedish Chick drama queen and all her followers is taking things to the extreme. Many young people protesting have no clue, and do not even realize much of the hypocrisy and ramifications.

Now I am pretty green, literally risked my life for years protecting the environment and have an undergraduate and graduate degrees in the field of study.

But this is taking it to the extreme. Yes, there are some negative effects I believe to man made carbon emissions/climate change. Seen first hand some of the regional devastating effects. You can’t keep on increasing emissions and cutting down carbon sinks (forest) without some sort of negative effects, short and long term. But deforestation has many other negative effects - loss of wildlife habitat, social/cultural/livelihood impacts, erosion/flooding. Carbon tax credits - major scam. Looks great on paper- but from first hand experience I can tell you it does not work cause usually you are dealing with corrupt and greedy govt. officials, and does nothing to actually reduce emissions- the opposite.

You have to have a sustainable balance between development and conservation. Realistic . Protect the environment, air and water quality. While at same time maintaining/increasing standards of living.

So instead of protesting - missing school? Study! Get that degree in agriculture, forestry, or engineering (industrial, agricultural, environmental). Come up with real workable solutions (while earning a decent paycheck). Solutions that improve life while minimizing resources (which also usually help
Increase profits). Or go into conservation law enforcement.

Also understand, here in the USA we have already accomplished much through innovation, technology and yes some public awareness and needed govt. control. Look at how clean our cities are, our air and water compared to 40 years ago. Look at agriculture yields, yet soil erosion drastically reduced.

I will admit, I like air con, electricity, indoor plumbing. I have lived for years in places with none of those things. Let’s see how long those kids could go without that. I like being able to drive and fly. Yes, reuse, reduce, recycle. But be realistic, not idealistic. Technology has actually in many ways helped the environment.

Instead of holding up banners and blocking traffic - how about the students instead take a day to: plant some trees, pick up trash, do some soil or forest conservation work, volunteer for a nature center, pledge to walk or ride a bike to school instead of mom’s SUV. Things that might actually make an impact.

And yet, a volcano just had a minor burp and in a matter of hours released more carbon emissions into the air than all of humankind has since humans have existed on planet earth. It's a miracle we're all still alive.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top

Our new posting rules