SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 21 September 2019, 19:57
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btq96r View Post
They can't/won't compete on price with the likes of PSA, Anderson, S&W...and they aren't in the same league with the BCM, DD, Noveske's of the AR world.
Hell, I’d rather buy a CMMG or DPMS. The CAR-15s we ran in the Navy were garbage.
Old 21 September 2019, 20:43
Clorox bearer for SOTB

The only Colt I ever bought that was worth what I paid was a slab side AR15 in 1983 for $320. If they would go back to 1983 prices, I would consider buying one or two.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 22 September 2019, 11:35
Been There Done That

Colt just got a rather large military contract, for M4s I strongly suspect that Colt does not have the manufacturing capacity for both the civilian market and Mil contract.
Old 22 September 2019, 12:36
Been There Done That

I have two Colt Socoms, and just a month ago helped a new to shooting friend get a Colt 6920 magpul edition- on sale for $899. The quality and accuracy of the Colts is better than on many other AR rifles I have seen. Much better than the PSA, Bushmaster, S&W and RRAs AR my brother and me have/had. So yeah, maybe a little more expensive, but built right.

Now, it does make sense of why Colt would do this, as alluded to in above posts - but with the current political climate does make one wonder if this also contributed to the business decision.
Old 22 September 2019, 22:38
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I have two Colt Socoms, and just a month ago helped a new to shooting friend get a Colt 6920 magpul edition- on sale for $899. The quality and accuracy of the Colts is better than on many other AR rifles I have seen. Much better than the PSA, Bushmaster, S&W and RRAs AR my brother and me have/had. So yeah, maybe a little more expensive, but built right.
I have a 6920 and have zero complaints.
Old 23 September 2019, 08:51
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
I have a 6920 and have zero complaints.
I had one that I put a lot of rounds through and never had a single problem. It was a great rifle for me.
Old 23 September 2019, 10:18
Hard to Kill

I bought a 6920, from WalMart at a military discount of about $785.00. The 6920 is a small step above the parts and pieces folks out there making rifles today. Well made and accurate, it was a standard for the industry. As most AR's wont see 5k rds in their entire lifetime, I am sure these hundreds of other manufacturers make a sufficient rifle.

When everyone saw this, both sides geared up for a fight, but now that its upon us, well, Meh. Who cares?

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 23 September 2019 at 21:09.
Old 23 September 2019, 10:29
BTDT

The problems Colt had with quality on their pistols from the 70s-2000s wasn't an issue with the AR-15s. Colt has always been the benchmark for quality on AR's. There are companies that build better, but Colt has always been the standard against what others are measured.

The features on their AR's for civilian sales may have been built well, but they too often were undesirable. Things like different size fire control group pins, different front take down pin have been changed.

When we changed over to M16A2, those that were issued CAR15s had to wait several months before we got new ones. The old ones were wore out. The new CAR15s we got were solid. They were a mix of A1 and A2 features.

I wouldn't mind having a Colt AR. I'd take that before BM, SW, CMMG, DMPS or PSA. Bco is probably one of the better values combos of good quality and price.
Old 23 September 2019, 10:49
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila175 View Post
I wouldn't mind having a Colt AR. I'd take that before BM, SW, CMMG, DMPS or PSA. Bco is probably one of the better values combos of good quality and price.
There are only 4 companies in the country that actually make AR15 pattern lowers.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/AR_Lower_Receiver_FAQ__56k_beware__MMS__CMT__LAR__ LMT_compared___/12-318113/?

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 23 September 2019, 10:50
BTDT

How timely:

https://youtu.be/Qt3DCqdnn8w

This guy worked for Colt IIRC, and is Inside Baseball on the entire industry.

TLDR; Fudd company that got political while resting on outdated Laurels. Buh-Bye Colt.
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 23 September 2019, 13:54
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
How timely:

https://youtu.be/Qt3DCqdnn8w

This guy worked for Colt IIRC, and is Inside Baseball on the entire industry.

TLDR; Fudd company that got political while resting on outdated Laurels. Buh-Bye Colt.
I agree with everything he said. There has been zero innovation from them. Younger shooters could give a rats ass about the Colt name.
Old 23 September 2019, 16:54
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
...Younger shooters could give a rats ass about the Colt name.
Yep. They say those are what the "OLD GUYS" used to shoot...
Old 23 September 2019, 17:01
Shakin' the bush Boss

Zero fucks to give. I'm sure DPMS or RR or one of the others will be happy to pick up their share of the market. When you feel your customers need your product more than you need your customers I know what happens next. Paging Remington, paging Remington.
Old 23 September 2019, 17:21
Moving Target

I like Colt and I think they will be back within 36 months, mean while the Colt Collector will be hoarding them. I predict that a Colt SOCOM will go up to $5000 . I have never heard of any DPMS collectors.
Old 23 September 2019, 18:24

Most "kids" nowadays are into DD, BCM, and Noveske. Gucchi glocks and maybe some AK47s for the Soviet nostalgia memes. HiPoint "Yeet Cannons" for the lolz. "Colt is for Boomers" -- especially 1911s. Dudes get flamed hard for sporting a 1911 on their EDC/etc. "OMFG Boomer, you gonna tell me to pull myself up from my bootstraps while you pilfer my range brass, too?". Don't get pissed at me, I'm just the messenger here.

I watched that Small Arms Solutions video a few days ago (i'm subscribed to the dude's channel) and i'll repeat what others have --- he's right. Colt got uppity and stupid with their management. Greed got in and no one that actually gave a shit about firearms were in their upper echelon. Nothing but 'muh quarterly earnings statement' vermin in charge. Now they're paying the price. Well, not them --- I'm sure they got their golden parachutes. The average employee at Colt should be sweating though, IMO.
Old 24 September 2019, 10:23
Been There Done That

Ok, here’s my take:

There are actually two distinct and separate companies involved: Colt Defense and Colt’s Manufacturing Company.

Colt Defense deals with the government and defense contracts. Colt’s Manufacturing Company (CMC) deals with the civilian market. The civilian ARs marketed by CMC are actually manufactured by Colt Defense under a licensing agreement between CMC and Colt Defense. CMC does not, and never had the production capability to produce the AR/M4 rifle. So in this case Colt Defense is a sub-Contractor under CMC for civilian rifles.

Sep 19, Colt Defense was awarded a $42 M contract by DOD to supply M4s to Foreign Military Sales. Colt Defense has publicly stated that the DOD contract has priority for the AR/M4 production line.

Because of this, CMC has “suspended” AR/M4 sales until Colt Defense can make them for the civilian market again.
Old 24 September 2019, 16:53
Been There Done That

Judging by the speed at which everyone’s Colt inventory went out the door after the RSR email started circulating, I think it’s safe to say that everyone who thinks Colt has become irrelevant in the AR world is wrong.
Old 24 September 2019, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
Judging by the speed at which everyone’s Colt inventory went out the door after the RSR email started circulating, I think it’s safe to say that everyone who thinks Colt has become irrelevant in the AR world is wrong.
IMO, That's just people looking to hoard shit and sell on gunbroker for like 10x what it costs. Like those hard to find "N" Colt buttstocks from back in the day that literally have been selling for around $500 to people that want the real deal for cloning purposes. It's the collector market, not the functional market.
Old 24 September 2019, 18:13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
Become irrelevant? That's been a fact for over a decade.
Old 24 September 2019, 18:15
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
IMO, That's just people looking to hoard shit and sell on gunbroker for like 10x what it costs. Like those hard to find "N" Colt buttstocks from back in the day that literally have been selling for around $500 to people that want the real deal for cloning purposes. It's the collector market, not the functional market.
Yep, and never shoot said clone.

Our new posting rules