SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 15 July 2013, 14:04
Been There Done That

Swimming

Last 3 weeks been hitting the pool again hard, after not swimming for several months. Getting to the pool every mid-morning, so now has become a good daily habit. Doing 30 minutes non-stop. Usually alternating 2-3 laps breast stroke at medium pace, then 2-3 laps freestyle/crawl stroke at faster pace.

May try to kick it up to 40 minutes in a couple of week, but don't want to burn out the shoulders.

Really like it, as earlier in the morning I am doing the elliptical trainer, weights, 21 Burpees, and Chinese boxing drills - so hitting the pool afterwards is not only good exercise, but kind of stretches out and relaxes the muscles at the same time. Trying hard to drop 30 pounds. Changing up diet a lot as well - meat, eggs, fruit, and veggies and staying away from the junk and counting calories.

Pretty nice pool found here, at the most expensive fitness center in town. Bad part is 20 minute drive away. But, worth it, as the other pools much closer, including the YMCA just down the road, over chlorinate the pool and the water is like warm bath water.
Old 25 July 2013, 13:10

I swim at my local YMCA because I get a free membership because I'm in the DEP. They also way over chlorinate their pool, really negatively affects my skin/hair. Good hearing you're getting back to swimming though. I just started swimming a month ago, and it has made a pretty big difference in my body composition, plus its a really nice way to wind down after a grueling workout. Not sure if you've discovered it yet, but a great app to count your calories with is myfitnesspal. Its been the most fluent app I've used so far.
Old 25 July 2013, 13:14
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by daloof911 View Post
I -- and it goes on from there....
Shhh, adults conversing....
Old 25 July 2013, 13:27
Been There Done That

I'm just trying to get on SOTB's push up regiment ! I used to spend a great deal of time in the pool but have not been in one in quite some time, do some lake swimming with my kids, trying to swim across and back on a 650 acre lake.
Old 25 July 2013, 14:42
Been There Done That

Speaking of swimming and pushups. Impressed as hell by my 10.5 year old nephew. He has been with me this week for "Camp Uncle".

We go swimming every morning, I do my laps and he does his thing. He is doing 2 laps crawl, the 2 laps back stroke and then 2 laps breast. Not bad.

Pushup, he completely amazed me!

He did 2 sets of 50 this this morning, all with pretty good form!

I think he was motivated by an 11 year old girl yesterday. Friend's two daughters, ages 9 and 11 (both half Thai) went on a hike with us yesterday. My nephew did 21 pushups. The 11 year old girl said, "Well, that is good, but if you want a girlfriend you have to do 100 to impress her." LMAO!!! So I was razzing him yesterday evening, "hey, if you get up to 100 pushup, you may have a cute Thai girlfriend". His face turned bright red.
Old 25 July 2013, 16:20
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specboatteam
I'm just trying to get on SOTB's push up regiment !
LOL, today its just some easy burpees -- trying for 200 in 20 min or less. Flying all day tomorrow, so I need to do something today or feel guilty tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specboatteam
I used to spend a great deal of time in the pool but have not been in one in quite some time, do some lake swimming with my kids, trying to swim across and back on a 650 acre lake.
I've tried to like swimming after the Corps, but its pretty hard to get motivated. First, swimming is a logistical headache -- I don't have ease of water installations. And if I did, the whole going to those installations, putting on/taking off swimwear, dressing for work (or whatever) again -- damn, it just sucks up time. Right now, my time investment for working out is generally 20 min for the workout, 5-10 min for showering and dressing. 30 min max (usually).

My wife likes to swim at her gym, but she's had two occasions this summer where some little fuckhead shits his/her diapers and they have to evacuate the pool for the rest of the day.

For me, swimming is too hard....
Old 30 July 2013, 05:56
Been There Done That

Great swimming workout yesterday.

So I take my almost 12 year old niece and one of her friends her (daughter of a close friend, who is like a niece to me), the same age, to the pool yesterday with me. I am trying to lap swim, but of course they want to play tricks on me.

Well, they did one that actually turned into a good workout for all. The pool is about 4.5 feet deep, so they can stand. So I started out swimming, breast stroke, and they both grasped one of my ankles and were trying to pull me as I swam using only upper body. Then when finally got to the other end of the pool (25m), the would then try to pull me backwards to the other end of the pool. All the while I am doing the breast stroke. Did this several times. Actually got a really good smoke, and the kids had a great time, getting a bit of a workout as well.

Also we did underwater surfing. They came up with the idea. So I go down to the pool bottom and swim underwater, the then try to stand on my back and "surf".

Good time, and probably the last summer be able to do this, as they will be teenagers soon, and unfortunately, turning into little women soon.
Old 30 July 2013, 08:10
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
LOL, today its just some easy burpees -- trying for 200 in 20 min or less. Flying all day tomorrow, so I need to do something today or feel guilty tomorrow.I've tried to like swimming after the Corps, but its pretty hard to get motivated. First, swimming is a logistical headache -- I don't have ease of water installations. And if I did, the whole going to those installations, putting on/taking off swimwear, dressing for work (or whatever) again -- damn, it just sucks up time. Right now, my time investment for working out is generally 20 min for the workout, 5-10 min for showering and dressing. 30 min max (usually).

My wife likes to swim at her gym, but she's had two occasions this summer where some little fuckhead shits his/her diapers and they have to evacuate the pool for the rest of the day.

For me, swimming is too hard....
I've been trying to like it for a long time, hard to get motivated. Precisely for the reasons you mention. Logistics. As compared jumping on the MTB or throwing on the running shoes and heading out the back door.

That said mountain biking is time consuming as well and later this week we will be doing our beach ride which I'm pretty sure we're going to throw a swim into. Incorporating it into a run or a ride is nice because you lose much of the logistic nonsense. No shower, no change of close, and you're already there hot and fucking sweaty.

Although I'm fortunate, I live within a mile of the ocean.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 2 August 2013, 16:54
Bland user

I’m heading to the Y to join right now. I’ve got a wicked case of plantar fasciitis and I keep reinjuring it.
My plan is to start with 1 mile per day (30-40 min) and work up to two. I’ll start out slow with zoomer fins. After a few weeks I’ll start doing intervals.

Our new posting rules