SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network (https://socnet.com/index.php)
-   Members Who Gave All (https://socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=262)
-   -   RIP Andy Potts aka SOTB (https://socnet.com/showthread.php?t=127067)

Zonk 1/75 16 May 2016 17:20

[QUOTE=Silverbullet;1058562915]Andy passed into Vahalla today.

His service included 3D Recon Bn, 2d Force Recon Co, JFKSWC. His efforts helped get the fledgling Force Recon MEUSOC program off ground and at one time he was the only MMF qualified sniper in the Marine Corps. He was hard as the proverbial woodpecker lips and smart.

He has worked all over the world and was currently running a highly successful intelligence and security company in Mexico. I know first hand the high level value his efforts brought to people.

I've had the privilege of knowing Andy since 1986. We shared similar traits and have agreed, argued and told each other to F off in cycles for years. I valued his friendship, advice and ability to tell me I was an asshole.

He was a father, husband and a Brother to many.

This site was better because of him and he never hesitated to reach out a helping hand to anyone regardless of the circumstances.

Please take a moment to remember and celebrate Andy's life. He'll be missed, but not forgotten by all of us who knew him.

Semper Fi[/QUOTE]

Well put and thanks for honoring him SB

Rest In Peace friend

Brianj 16 May 2016 17:54

Wow. Damn.

I never met Andy, but between working in DF or living in the same city, I'd hoped to someday. My thoughts go out to his family.

Fair winds and following seas, Marine.

leopardprey 16 May 2016 17:59

Sad news all around. Just will not be the same here at SOCNET, that is for sure. You could always count on just about every thread or topic, that Andy/SOTB would have a comment and opinion. Whether you agreed with him or not, it was always entertaining and insightful to read his view point.

Prayers out for his daughter. From what I have heard, Andy was an outstanding father and raised his daughter with true love.

Rest in Peace.

Mr.Smith 16 May 2016 18:55

Wow. I saw the thread and didn't believe it. I know I am just a FNG and didn't know the man, but many of you did. This place truly wont be the same. I always came on here looking forward to reading something from SOTB.

Fuck Cancer

R.I.P. Marine

Grateful Civilian 16 May 2016 19:02

Stunning and sad news. SOTB's posts were always a must read; invariably they made you think or laugh and often, both. I didn't know him but his writing spoke of a man who lived life well, on his terms and with the courage of his convictions.

My sincere condolences to his family and those of you who knew him as a friend.

RIP SOTB, you'll be missed but not forgotten.

Justaclerk 16 May 2016 19:17

RIP Andy, you will always be in our hearts and thoughts.

Ferryman 16 May 2016 19:22

Sad news. RIP.

redhawk 16 May 2016 19:26

RIP SOTB.

I very much enjoyed reading his posts and I am very sorry for those of you that lost him as a friend.

Shadow 16 May 2016 19:29

Rest in peace, Brother. Semper Fidelis...

Motherfuck cancer. :mad:

Look. Don'tTouch. 16 May 2016 19:41

Best wishes to his daughter and those that knew him.
RIP SOTB. You'll be missed by more people than you personally knew.

One of my favorites here(sig material):
[QUOTE=SOTB;1058519318]I still think we should simply draft a mom or dad from Anywhere USA and tell them they are fucked and will be the President for the next 4 years.[/QUOTE]

Prison RN 16 May 2016 19:53

Rest In Peace, Marine. I know you are keeping Heaven Safe. Fuck Cancer.

Whitebean54 16 May 2016 20:14

RIP

A true loss to this community.

redhawk 16 May 2016 20:15

My first encounter with SOTB was when I was in high school posting on military.com.

I had posted an inquiry about flying in the Marine Corps. I made a few comments about career choices and mentioned an Air Force aircraft that I was somewhat obsessed with at the time. In swooped Southoftheborder to tell me I was of a questionable sexual orientation and that I should definitely pursue a career in the Air Force because of it. That post stuck with me as both hilarious and very direct. I laughed recently when he made similar posts on this site.

JayCeeNC 16 May 2016 20:19

RIP, SOTB.

tova 16 May 2016 20:26

Rest in peace Andy....
My thoughts and prayers for everyone....

19MIKE 16 May 2016 20:30

Damn, I'm stunned at hearing of this.

Rest in Peace Andy. Of course I did not know you personally.... but I always tuned in when I saw you had posted something because I knew it carried a lot of weight.

That, and I always enjoyed your unique way of articulating your point of view!

Prayers out to his family. Damn sad to hear this.

RIP SOTB

Mike

sarc88 16 May 2016 20:30

Andy was a class act, and a dedicated Marine. He'll be missed here in our community, as well as by family and friends. Oorah SOTB, FWFS.

Front_Sight_Bang 16 May 2016 20:44

Well shit. RIP Sir. His wit was sharp, as was his tongue. But his comments were always measured with thought and reason, which as others have stated, forced intelligent dialogue. I enjoyed our conversations, and appreciated his advice and availability when I reached out by PM. I never got to meet the man, I wish I had. My sincerest condolences to his family, and his friends on this board. I shall raise a glass in his name tonight.

Longrifle 16 May 2016 20:44

RIP, Andy. Blue skies and a swift flight to Valhalla.

Damn...:frown:

Le3 16 May 2016 20:46

Damn.

Rest in Peace, Andy.

twinfist 16 May 2016 20:47

Rest Easy Warrior, thank you for your service

RGR.Montcalm 16 May 2016 20:48

Rest in Peace, Andy. You lived life at full throttle, the way all of us here wish we were brave to do also.

See you at the feasting tables.

Semper Fi

RGR.M

IronErik 16 May 2016 20:49

Rest in peace Marine.

Believeraz 16 May 2016 20:51

Andy gave me wise counsel at several times when I needed it. He was good for a laugh, good for a debate, and a genuinely good human. Andy has some influence every time I teach both new and old cops alike, challenging them to be worthy of the public's trust and confidence. I counted Andy a friend. Rest easy, amigo.

osubuckeye762 16 May 2016 20:56

I haven't been on the computer much the last few days, so when I brought up the lounge forum this evening, I thought it was strange the it had RIP in his avatar. Not comprehending or digesting it's meaning I went to another thread when I learned of SOTBs passing.

I will admit I didn't always agree with many of his posts especially in regards to law enforcement, but I did respect his directness, and how he would state a problem then give examples of how to correct those said problems.

I was also amazed of how deep he and diverse he was. As one member stated, he could be discussing in depth geopolitical, National Security Studies in one thread, then in another thread be talking about how great a movie was, or crappy/sh*tty a restaurant was and make you laugh.

I wish I could have met him in person and talked over dinner for I feel I could have learned a lot from him.

My prayers go out to his family and his friends.

Thank you for your service.

hunteran 16 May 2016 21:07

RIP Marine. Didn't know the man but it's evident from the quality of his friends and the breadth of knowledge that he shared that he was a good man and that he will be missed tremendously. I'm saddened.

iraqgunz 16 May 2016 21:19

I have been traveling and just saw this post. I never met Andy personally but we conducted some transactions. I always looked forward to his posts and his insight. This is terrible news.

sigma1 16 May 2016 21:38

I had the chance and the pleasure to meet Andy 2 years ago down here on a detail. Learned a whole lot in those 2 weeks.
RIP Andy.
Que la terre te sois légère mon frere...

Mac 16 May 2016 21:41

To those of you who knew him personally, thank you for sharing your stories (I would love to read more stories from more of you when you feel to do so).

I think those stories do well to keep the spirit of this thread as well as what Andy would have wanted.

SN 16 May 2016 21:57

Til Valhal.