SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network (https://socnet.com/index.php)
-   Members Who Gave All (https://socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=262)
-   -   RIP Andy Potts aka SOTB (https://socnet.com/showthread.php?t=127067)

pavegnr 17 May 2016 11:49

RIP Andy.

O_Pos 17 May 2016 12:01

RIP

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip-COzs42LQ[/url]

A191 17 May 2016 12:09

RIP SOTB, and Semper Fi. Prayers for his family and friends.

GST 17 May 2016 12:10

I'm stunned at this news. My first thoughts were with his family and friends. I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP, Andy.

Oldguy 17 May 2016 12:18

I'll miss his comments. Prayers for his family. Rest easy Warrior

grahamcracker977 17 May 2016 12:34

I am shocked by this news. Rest in peace and prayers out to his family.

glassiam 17 May 2016 13:09

RIP, Andy. Semper Fi...

57Medic 17 May 2016 13:26

I did not have the pleasure to personally know Andy, but I have read many, many, of his posts and enjoyed them all.

I hope this incursion is acceptable.

Prayers inbound to the family.

Medic09 17 May 2016 13:45

Rest Well, SOTB.

He and I were certainly on opposite sides of several issues (mostly related to Israel and the ME), but I got early on a glimpse of his class and maturity. Like anyone with class, he did it in private.

I hadn't been a guest here for very long before I could see I didn't much like this gruff, blunt guy who didn't give a damn for any of us Middle Easterners, including Israelis. And of course, I didn't understand him at all. Well, like an ass, I dissed him with a comment on a thread here. The thread, as I recall, had to do with someone's loss or trouble. Rather than squash me in plain sight, he sent me a PM. Paraphrased, he said to me "nobody will really care if you stay here long or not, and I'm sure you won't care much either. But that really lacked class to go at me in that time and place, when the topic is someone else's misfortune. Get some SA." He didn't care that I had dissed him. He did care that I had chosen to do so when and where is was disrespectful to someone else's misfortune here on the forum. So he reminded me to get some class, or move on. Right on target, done just between us. To me, that was an overriding characterization of how I saw the man on here, never having had the opportunity to meet him. Thanks for the reminder, SOTB. If I may use your real name - Rest Well, Andy. This crew has lost a defining institution and character.

Steve83 17 May 2016 13:47

Andy was a tough son of a bitch.

I remember him writing about his original diagnosis on this forum a few years ago. The doctor told him that he hadn't long to live. What I believe he said to the doctor, if i recall correctly, was "If I die, I die. I don't care. But if I live, which I'm sure I'm going to, I'm going to punch you in the face for telling me I'm going to die." I believed he wrote about the experience years after it happened so he had quite a run.

He had a IDGAF attitude that I can only dream of aspiring to.

Luckily, for us here, he had something to say about just about every topic. So his personality, his insights and his humor will live on in this place for as long as the websites stays up.

I look forward to helping out whatever is set up here for his wife and daughter.

RIP SOTB, Pinky Tester Extraordinaire.

Gunk 17 May 2016 14:09

Wow. What a profound loss.
I’ve been reading Andy’s posts for a number of years. He’s a man who earned respect by his quality and the clarity of his thinking.
It’s a big loss for our world.

RIP Andy, you will be missed.

Kouta 17 May 2016 15:24

I've been reading SOCNET since 2008 or so, and SOTB's posts were one of the major reasons I kept coming back. It feels surreal that he's gone. A huge loss to everyone who knew him.

From everything he and others have said, he lived his life to the fullest. That's more than most others can say.

Fubar 17 May 2016 15:40

[QUOTE=billdawg24;1058563553]Damn dust in here right now.
Shocked and saddened.
Just read all the previous posts celebrating his life and am now sitting in my office with tears streaming down my face. [B]Some may find that strange to shed tears for a man I have never met in person, and simply knew on an internet site.[/B] But, I always felt he was a good man. Sometimes we agreed sometimes we disagreed, but through it all, he was professional and a class act. The world and this site are a bleaker place today.

RIP Warrior[/QUOTE]

Bill - you were not crying alone. Yeah, that might make us a little lame, but IDGAF.

Sigi 17 May 2016 15:45

[QUOTE=Fubar;1058563659]Bill - you were not crying alone. Yeah, that might make us a little lame, but IDGAF.[/QUOTE]
I was headed home Sunday morning at 11:00 am when I read SB's post, and I can admit I cried. For his daughter as well as the thought that he was gone. Never PM'd him, never had one bit of contact with SOTB. I guess that is the effect SOTB had on many people here. 13 years of reading this guy had a lasting effect on me.

Kalanis 17 May 2016 15:52

RIP

Fofo 17 May 2016 16:07

I cried a few hours after reading the news yesterday absolutely.

Never met him in person, only talked to him electronically via PM's and posts... but after a little over a decade of reading, learning and even if I didn't agree with some opinions on a near daily basis...he did a damn good job writing out his thoughts, facts and opinions.

A wise and admirable man for sure who lived life on his terms and helped, taught and motivated so many. How can you not feel at least some sadness for someone like him leaving this world?

IDGAF - agreed. So I cried.

... I also ran a little faster and further for my run today. Thought he'd be amused up there in the cosmos or wherever he has begun in earnest with setting himself up as The Deity of his own religion.

He'd probably think it was GAY and I was slow, but it's okay. It was a fun run as usual. And I know I run like a retarded and awkward giraffe when fatigue sets in. Hope he was amused by seeing such an oddity flopping about on the paths and sidewalk.

Farewell Andy, I hope wherever you find yourself it's full of HOT lesbo and/or bi fit non-blonde chicks with three ribs showing. Plenty of peanut butter, and Halo CE - Reach with all the maps that you have other warriors and men and women of your calibre to play alongside with.

Spinner 17 May 2016 16:18

I'm saddened to hear of the loss of SOTB, Andy.

My condolences go out to his family and friends, especially those on this board who knew him the best. While I didn't always agree with his views, I appreciated him for telling it like it is, to include pointing out any flaws in the logic of an argument. And I always looked forward to what he had to say next.

RIP

Impavidus 17 May 2016 16:30

RIP Andy. Wish we would of met.

-Harris

Veritatem Cognoscere 17 May 2016 16:35

RIP Andy.

Andy helped me get someone out of a tricky situation south of the border and his experience and counsel was invaluable. His humor and wit will be missed.

SigMed20 17 May 2016 17:16

Wow. I've lurked SOCNET since '07. Always looked forward to reading SOTB's posts. Hilarious, full of wisdom & came across as one hell of a solid dude. I'll raise a glass to you SOTB, R.I.P.

Ranger5280 17 May 2016 17:33

RIP Brother...

Semp 17 May 2016 18:26

Semper Fi and RIP, Brother.

Stretch 17 May 2016 18:39

"If I die, I die. I don't care. But if I live, which I'm sure I'm going to, I'm going to punch you in the face for telling me I'm going to die."...

This quote kicked in my allergies...

That quote right there is fuck cancer in top form!!! And SOTB was always in that form.

v/r

S

Dutch8654 17 May 2016 19:17

Well Fuck! RIP Brother. You were one of a kind

ex 17 May 2016 20:28

The stories in this thread are a wonderful tribute to him and the effect he had on the lives of people, most of whom he never met in person.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. May he rest in blessed peace.

cmnbar 17 May 2016 20:48

RIP SOTB

Kip 17 May 2016 21:03

I always looked forward to his posts, no matter the subject.

RIP, Marine.

Doc P 17 May 2016 21:16

Looking back through some old threads. Andy watched the movie "Odd Thomas" based on my recommendation that it was good. 8654Marine agreed, but SOTB did not....hence, "[I]I submit that the two other posters in this thread have had their accounts stolen or hacked by chicks. We should seriously consider an immediate ban of these two, for their own protection....[/I]"

Classic.

The Corporate Guy 17 May 2016 21:41

There could be a whole thread called "[I]funny/clever shit SOTB said[/I]"

LRS Guy 17 May 2016 22:15

RIP BROTHER!