SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Members Who Gave All (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=262)
-   -   RIP Andy Potts aka SOTB (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=127067)

btq96r 16 May 2016 12:03

I saw 0699's avatar in another thread and didn't want to believe it was true. SOTB was without a doubt one of the most well versed and insightful people I have ever had the privlige to read. His grasp on a wide range of subjects, and desire to learn about ones he wasn't fully up to speed on spoke volumes. Over the almost seven years I've been here, I learned several things by reading his posts. I also laughed my ass off.

RIP, Andy. Thank you for your service, and your contributions to SOCNET. My sincerest condolences to your family and friends who read this. A loss like this will take time to heal...but what a legacy he left.

[QUOTE=Baildog;1058563011]I will never forget the last time I saw him in person, when he was busy telling one of West Virginia's Finest "I've got a gun too, motherfucker." [/QUOTE]

Never met him in real life, but yeah, I can see that happening. What a great way to remember a true man's man.

BionicDamien 16 May 2016 12:23

I'm utterly shocked.

Yesterday a friend of mine here Indy also passed who was also a Marine after a long battle with cancer. I have to hope that they rolled on together.

RIP Marine. Thank you for all that you did.

Fofo 16 May 2016 12:25

Damn.

His posts were intentionally hilarious (at times to the point of being in tears IE: The Perplexity of Powerful Pooting thread - I did cry laughing so hard reading his posts in that one), endlessly helpful, or chew-out and also help at the same time in many instances. And it was all a treasure trove of experience and information for all on here to read and learn from.

Talked with him briefly in a few PM's a few years back, and he was as always, helpful as well as very polite.

He also helped correct my younger and dumb(er) ass years ago on here and I appreciate it.

Always loved reading his posts, whether it was about peanut butter, cooking, PT, guns or movies, political matters, overseas conflicts - whatever.

SOCNET lost a giant and the forum will never be the same without him.

RIP Marine.

Keganswar 16 May 2016 12:44

RIP Andy, I have been coming on this board for over ten years and SOTBs posts were always insightful or hilariouse or both at the same time. I found myself many times holding a position on a subject only to read one of SOTBs posts and rethink my position. He truly was a smart man. I did not know him personally but I will miss him and his thoughts. Long live the pinky test!!!!!!

coolshock1 16 May 2016 13:18

RIP Warrior! My condolences to his family and his brothers here.

Saw7616 16 May 2016 13:57

RIP SOTB! It was a pleasure to lurk and read your comments here.

I'd like to think in the early days when someone always said "getting a chair and popcorn" That we all where waiting for you come and show the misguided the way of the light. Your posts always had a way of lifting and humiliating all in one swoop... BZ

Semper Fi Sir, condolences to your family. If you wife our daughter are reading this, Please I hope they know we're a diverse group of unique individuals that can and will help anyone and anytime. The Reach of Socnet still amazes me after all these years.

Just let us know if there is anything you need.

RemTech 16 May 2016 14:42

RIP SOTB/Andy

Five-O 16 May 2016 15:51

Andy was a thought leader here and as such on occasion he (happily and with intent) ruffled a few feathers. The result was often a thoughtful and spirited dialogue on the issue. I never met him but I know well the area which he grew up and I can say not a whole lot of people get out of there. Particularly not many get out and achieve to the level of success and expertise he did. We talked on several occasions about his circumstances as a child growing up and how it played a great roll in his opinions. His ability to rise above his environment is to be respected and commended. Whenever there was "breaking news" or some such event his was the first opinion I wanted to read. I was dumbfounded to read SB's announcement. RIP to Andy and prayers(aka best wishes) to his family.
Fuck cancer indeed.

DirtyDog0311 16 May 2016 16:36

Holy shit. This is crazy. I had no idea.

RIP Andy. You will be sorely missed.

Chris-Harper 16 May 2016 16:41

He made me take a look and changed my perspective on different positions many a times.

RIP.

Zonk 1/75 16 May 2016 17:20

[QUOTE=Silverbullet;1058562915]Andy passed into Vahalla today.

His service included 3D Recon Bn, 2d Force Recon Co, JFKSWC. His efforts helped get the fledgling Force Recon MEUSOC program off ground and at one time he was the only MMF qualified sniper in the Marine Corps. He was hard as the proverbial woodpecker lips and smart.

He has worked all over the world and was currently running a highly successful intelligence and security company in Mexico. I know first hand the high level value his efforts brought to people.

I've had the privilege of knowing Andy since 1986. We shared similar traits and have agreed, argued and told each other to F off in cycles for years. I valued his friendship, advice and ability to tell me I was an asshole.

He was a father, husband and a Brother to many.

This site was better because of him and he never hesitated to reach out a helping hand to anyone regardless of the circumstances.

Please take a moment to remember and celebrate Andy's life. He'll be missed, but not forgotten by all of us who knew him.

Semper Fi[/QUOTE]

Well put and thanks for honoring him SB

Rest In Peace friend

Brianj 16 May 2016 17:54

Wow. Damn.

I never met Andy, but between working in DF or living in the same city, I'd hoped to someday. My thoughts go out to his family.

Fair winds and following seas, Marine.

leopardprey 16 May 2016 17:59

Sad news all around. Just will not be the same here at SOCNET, that is for sure. You could always count on just about every thread or topic, that Andy/SOTB would have a comment and opinion. Whether you agreed with him or not, it was always entertaining and insightful to read his view point.

Prayers out for his daughter. From what I have heard, Andy was an outstanding father and raised his daughter with true love.

Rest in Peace.

Mr.Smith 16 May 2016 18:55

Wow. I saw the thread and didn't believe it. I know I am just a FNG and didn't know the man, but many of you did. This place truly wont be the same. I always came on here looking forward to reading something from SOTB.

Fuck Cancer

R.I.P. Marine

Grateful Civilian 16 May 2016 19:02

Stunning and sad news. SOTB's posts were always a must read; invariably they made you think or laugh and often, both. I didn't know him but his writing spoke of a man who lived life well, on his terms and with the courage of his convictions.

My sincere condolences to his family and those of you who knew him as a friend.

RIP SOTB, you'll be missed but not forgotten.

Justaclerk 16 May 2016 19:17

RIP Andy, you will always be in our hearts and thoughts.

Ferryman 16 May 2016 19:22

Sad news. RIP.

redhawk 16 May 2016 19:26

RIP SOTB.

I very much enjoyed reading his posts and I am very sorry for those of you that lost him as a friend.

Shadow 16 May 2016 19:29

Rest in peace, Brother. Semper Fidelis...

Motherfuck cancer. :mad:

Look. Don'tTouch. 16 May 2016 19:41

Best wishes to his daughter and those that knew him.
RIP SOTB. You'll be missed by more people than you personally knew.

One of my favorites here(sig material):
[QUOTE=SOTB;1058519318]I still think we should simply draft a mom or dad from Anywhere USA and tell them they are fucked and will be the President for the next 4 years.[/QUOTE]