View Single Post
Old 21 April 2017, 13:47
היה אישם עשה משהו

Update from Brendan O'Brien, at Weaponsman.com

Update on Kevin’s Celebration, future of the blog, and more
23 Replies
Hi all friends of Kevin, I have some updated information you will want to read.

First, I’m gratified by the number of people who have written some variation of “Don’t take down the blog!” It’s great that you believe his work should be preserved online. So we will find a way. Rest assured that absolutely nothing will happen to the current blog for at least a month. It seems to me the obvious choices are a) keeping it alive at weaponsman.com and b) handing the content over to one of the many tech-savvy folks who have commented.

I’m doing this because it’s the right thing to do, not because I’ve been intimidated by hundreds of people with military training and serious firepower. Heh.

Second, we have specifics on Kevin’s celebration of life. It will be on Sunday, June 11, at the Abenaqui Country Club in Rye, NH, from 10:30 am to 2 pm. All are invited. I hope you will come. I’d especially love to see a heavy turnout from Kevin’s SF teammates, 122, USAFSA, Afghanistan, other Army buddies and fellow members of SOA. I have already heard from a number of those guys.

We will need a firm headcount to provide Abenaqui. So when you know you can make it, please email hognosecommunity@comcast.net with “RSVP” in the subject line. Let us know how many people will be in your party.

This is also a great opportunity to meet new friends with shared interests or reunite with old friends. My wife and I will be hosting an informal get-together at our house the day before and you are all invited to that.

I would not be at all surprised to see some of you guys plan other informal meets. Will you let me know about them (where and when)? I’ll try to stop by.

The New Hampshire seacoast is absolutely beautiful and is a popular tourist destination in the summer. This is my way of telling you to book your hotel early. We may also be able to provide “sleeping bag” accommodations at Kevin’s house. We can provide advice about things to do, where to eat, etc., for anyone who asks.

Now, about the official celebration. We want it to be a positive affair. Please feel free to speak. It’s okay to make jokes at Kevin’s expense. He would have done it to you.

I am hoping to have a blessing and some military recognition at the celebration. One friend of Kevin is a retired three-star general (nice work, bro!) who might be able to help with the latter.

People have asked about contributing to a cause in Kevin’s memory. I’m inclined to direct such contributions to the Green Beret Foundation, unless someone has an objection. FYI Kevin was not a fan of the Wounded Warrior Project.

Finally, I missed some opportunities to thank people. Obviously I’m grateful to all of you for your support and love of Kevin. The doctors and medical staff at Portsmouth Regional Hospital did their very best to stabilize Kevin when he was first brought in last Friday afternoon. The doctors and medical staff at the Shapiro Cardiovascular Center at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston did their very best to save Kevin’s life, and when we all realized that would not be possible, they were supportive and kind with us until the end.

Weaponsman commenter Mike_C is actually “Dr” Mike_C, a trained cardiologist and internist who does medical research in Boston. He gave up his Easter Sunday to join my dad and me at the Shapiro Center and explained everything.

That’s all for now. Hope you can join us for June 11!