SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network > Legacy > Medal of Honor

Old 30 July 2024, 16:19
Member Emeritus

Battle of Wounded Knee

https://www.stripes.com/history/2024...-14585311.html

I have mixed emotions about this - and the article explains that 900+ past awards of the medal have been rescinded. There were injustices. Still, applying today's standards to revoke an award (per a different news article) for 'carrying off wounded under fire', should still rate the award even if the war was in 20/20 hindsight, wrong.

The soldiers are pawns in national policy.

"The review will consider the lower standards for the Medal of Honor prescribed at the time of the incident, decades before other top valor medals — including the Bronze Star, Silver Star and the Distinguished Service Cross — were established ...".

With SECDEF involved and picking the committee, I don't have much faith that the then lower standards for award, will prevail over the current level of political correctness.
Old 30 July 2024, 19:41

Much like the renaming of bases they are determined to erase our history.
History is what it is, it's part of what makes us as nation, much like individuals, we've all done things in our past that we probably shouldn't have, but it's part of what makes us who we are today.
Old 8 August 2024, 20:29
Been There Done That

Are they gonna disband and rename 7th Cav? How fucking funny would it be if Trump is elected again and changes the names of the bases back to what they were.
Old 9 August 2024, 18:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top0321 View Post
Are they gonna disband and rename 7th Cav? How fucking funny would it be if Trump is elected again and changes the names of the bases back to what they were.
It'd take a billion out of the defense budget to change all the letterhead on all military documents. Like when they changed it the first time.

Life Would Be Boring If We Were All Normal - SB
Old 9 August 2024, 21:16

Quote:
That would be a great question for a reporter to ask him.
Old 9 August 2024, 22:52
Six Minutes!

Quote:
Never happen- some POS federal judge will rule that (R) POTUS’s can’t overrule the executive orders of (D) POTUS’s.

In fact already happened with his last term- DACA, etc

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —

"Just remember son, 80% of the people in this world are fucking idiots"- My Dad
Old 10 August 2024, 20:51
Pirate and Rogue

So when are they going to go after all the other medals and awards that were given out during conflicts with foreign governments that we're "friends "with now because we dont want to upset or offend anyone?

This is fucking ridiculous. You cant judge things that happened "before' with a microscope that was built in the last 4 years.

Stupid should be a medical diagnosis - Texan

Being smart does not guarantee success, but being stupid practically guarantees failure - GSniper
Old 10 August 2024, 22:12
Administrator

SecDef is guilty of receiving a medal he doesn't deserve. He should revoke that first.
Old 13 August 2024, 18:43
Dust in the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
It'd take a billion out of the defense budget to change all the letterhead on all military documents. Like when they changed it the first time.
Nahhh.....It's easy.....just do it like Obama said he was going to make changes and go around congress and make things happen....

let's do it the hillbilly way....it's just ink.

"I got a Pen and a phone"....

Old 13 August 2024, 20:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoreOutMarine View Post
Nahhh.....It's easy.....just do it like Obama said he was going to make changes and go around congress and make things happen....

let's do it the hillbilly way....it's just ink.

"I got a Pen and a phone"....
As a 1SG I had a 10K monthly budget in one unit that I was in. I know, scary right? Another unit I had a 30K monthly budget. The paperwork was nerve racking and I had a Nazi fucking GS-15, or some shit at (now) Ft. Moore, you don't know how much it took to say that, that would make sure every purchase was legit.

You don't know how much the Army pays for a fucking printer cartridge. Well, actually you probably do...

It's kinda like the hammer and toilet seat thing.

Life Would Be Boring If We Were All Normal - SB
Old 14 August 2024, 09:25
Authorized

Orrrr....and I'm just spitballing here...we could take the money that we are spending to "correct history" and use it get clean water and sanitation to the ~30%-40% of Native Americans on reservations that don't have it? I don't know, just thinking out loud.
Old 15 August 2024, 14:49
What you mean badges? I no got to show you no stinkin badges.

It makes no sense to me to have a panel of people reviewing the merit of medals that were awarded for actions 130 plus years ago.

It's a waste of time and money and is likely to be rife with politically correct influences.

I have an idea. Why not just make sure, going forward, that medals awarded are truly earned by those who receive them. Maybe a few less high-ranking officers would be receiving them, and a few more lower ranking enlisted personnel would get them. But then, that would interfere with the ticket punching business. Wouldn't it?

The awarding of medals is subjective. Those who truly deserve them are often not recognized and those who are undeserving sometimes received them.

My attitude is that the only sure-fire indicator that a soldiers valor or meritorious conduct is 100% merited is the respect that a soldier gets from those he or she serves with in combat. That respect can't be questioned.
Old 15 August 2024, 17:35

Son was in a bomb blast in a-Stan with his team. As medic he was charged with caring for the team that was all down with various degrees of injuries, including carrying them out of harms way and breaking his back in the process. Upon arrival back at base, he began to take notice that he was covered in blood from head to toe, not his blood but that of his team he rendered aid to. They all got Purple Hearts… not the son … wasn’t his blood.

COUNT NO MAN HAPPY UNTIL THE END IS KNOWN
Old 15 August 2024, 21:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by fy0834 View Post
Son was in a bomb blast in a-Stan with his team. As medic he was charged with caring for the team that was all down with various degrees of injuries, including carrying them out of harms way and breaking his back in the process. Upon arrival back at base, he began to take notice that he was covered in blood from head to toe, not his blood but that of his team he rendered aid to. They all got Purple Hearts… not the son … wasn’t his blood.
Good Doc right there. I hope he was awarded appropriately.

Our new posting rules