SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network > Legacy > Members Who Gave All

Old 15 August 2016, 15:35
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA SGT View Post
Affirmative on the hat. I remember you. Wish we could have spoke....
It's likely I'll have a chance to take another trip there in a couple of months, after the permanent marker is placed. Will contact you and perhaps we could meet up and see it together.
Old 15 August 2016, 15:39

When you do plan a return, I'd meet you and later hoist a pint for the man somewhere local. I had the good fortune to meet Mr G on a couple of occasions and had an enormous amount of respect for the man.
I was sitting offshore on a workboat on the day of the memorial or I would have most certainly attended.
Old 16 August 2016, 22:32
Been There Done That

Cass,

We are all better men for having been exposed to your humor, wit and insights here.

Rest in Peace, Sir.
Old 17 August 2016, 23:21
Grumpy Bastard

RIP Cass.
Old 18 August 2016, 00:44
Authorized

RIP Mr. Garrett. Your "young doctor" thanks you.
Old 18 August 2016, 08:36
Authorized

RIP - I always appreciated his opinions and steady hand.

CG
Old 18 August 2016, 21:00

RIP, Sir!
Old 19 August 2016, 21:00

RIP Cass. I 've been out of the loop for a while. Sad news. What an amazing man and historical figure in my mind. The things he saw and did, I can only imagine.
Old 21 August 2016, 21:16

A great man has passed.

Rest in peace Cass.
Old 22 August 2016, 15:46

Another mentor passes.

Thanks for allowing this landlubber to read your words.

RIP, Sir.
Old 23 August 2016, 22:13

I sure appreciated his posts.

I also appreciated seeing the deference that others gave him. It said a great deal about him and all of you.
Old 30 August 2016, 02:20
killjoy

Thought I'd share one of my favorite old posts of his with ya'll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
I always thought the Pacific ocean off Calif. was balmy and full of girls in skimpy bathing suits. What I got was freezing water and hairy guys that looked ugly.
Thanks again, Cass. Not only for what you did out there, but also for you did in here, and the way you did it.
Old 5 September 2016, 19:58
Confirmed Circus Clown

Gentleman I have not been on in a while but see news like this make me reflect on how men like Cass help shape this country Rest well
Old 7 September 2016, 18:51

God Bless Cass a true American hero they broke the mold after him
Old 10 September 2016, 23:43
Aimant à Merde

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveBoss View Post
When you do plan a return, I'd meet you and later hoist a pint for the man somewhere local. I had the good fortune to meet Mr G on a couple of occasions and had an enormous amount of respect for the man.
I was sitting offshore on a workboat on the day of the memorial or I would have most certainly attended.
I second this, I've been meaning to visit my grandfather's grave as well. I'd like to stop by both. Any idea when the permanent marker will be placed?
Old 17 September 2016, 10:40
Crisis Management

RIP Cass. Fair winds and following Seas
Old 3 November 2016, 14:12
Aimant à Merde

I had to head down south for my grandfather's memorial service last weekend and got the opportunity to finally stop by the San Joaquin Valley National Cemetery to visit my other grandfather and grandmother's burial site. I had never been there and he passed in 1996. It felt good to have, and then get the chance to pay my respects to Cass finally.

I have to admit I'm a bit perplexed by his marker. WWII, Korea and Vietnam? I get the Korea and Vietnam part, but he'd have been very very young for WWII and he never once mentioned that (not that he would have) when I spoke with him in the past.

They are in the middle of putting down more sod so I expect his site will be nice and green in the coming weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cass.jpg (78.4 KB, 687 views)
Old 4 November 2016, 11:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHHINT View Post
I had to head down south for my grandfather's memorial service last weekend and got the opportunity to finally stop by the San Joaquin Valley National Cemetery to visit my other grandfather and grandmother's burial site. I had never been there and he passed in 1996. It felt good to have, and then get the chance to pay my respects to Cass finally.

I have to admit I'm a bit perplexed by his marker. WWII, Korea and Vietnam? I get the Korea and Vietnam part, but he'd have been very very young for WWII and he never once mentioned that (not that he would have) when I spoke with him in the past.

They are in the middle of putting down more sod so I expect his site will be nice and green in the coming weeks.

I believe that, and correct me if I am wrong, but Cass was in the Navy serving in China (around 1947 IIRC) doing river patrols right after the end of WWII as we know it. But, I believe that was still considered part of WWII as far as the campaigns were known, as was the "mop" up portion, security and stability, stop any civil unrest, restore the govt. In China especially at this time there was a lot of turmoil.
Old 5 November 2016, 14:16
Aimant à Merde

Even in death he continues to amaze. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 5 November 2016, 14:39
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I believe that, and correct me if I am wrong, but Cass was in the Navy serving in China (around 1947 IIRC) doing river patrols right after the end of WWII as we know it. But, I believe that was still considered part of WWII as far as the campaigns were known, as was the "mop" up portion, security and stability, stop any civil unrest, restore the govt. In China especially at this time there was a lot of turmoil.
That is what i recall as well.

SHHINT, thanks for posting the picture and the addition of the COG coin.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 5 November 2016, 14:48
Life is simple, not easy.

4 months have passed and I still miss a guy I never met, never talked to, and maybe PM'd 3-4 times in 13 years. I guess that is what happens when you live a life so full - people remember. And to think so many on this site now (and those that have passed) are pretty much unknown and quiet, but you are all heroes to me.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!
Old 5 November 2016, 15:21
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHHINT View Post
WWII, Korea and Vietnam?
Cass originally only wanted Korea on his marker. His executor ultimately convinced him to accept having all three put on, as his service did span all three.

God bless you, Cass.

Thanks for sharing the photo of his permanent marker, SHHINT. I have not had a chance to make the trip myself yet.
Old 5 November 2016, 19:30
No one special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
Cass originally only wanted Korea on his marker. His executor ultimately convinced him to accept having all three put on, as his service did span all three.

God bless you, Cass.

Thanks for sharing the photo of his permanent marker, SHHINT. I have not had a chance to make the trip myself yet.

Great men don't do it for the accolades so I wasn't surprised to read this. As a nobody here I always looked forward to reading his posts. I am thankful that men like him exist.
Old 5 November 2016, 22:43
Aimant à Merde

Not for nothing but he had far more than those 3. He was one of a kind, for sure.
Old 16 November 2016, 23:23
Innocent Bystander

Cass explains:

Quote:
I graduated High School in 1946 and within three weeks was in Boot Camp. Following completion of Boot Camp, I was sent to Motor Mack (MOMM) "A" school. Thereafter, I was assigned to the USS Bremerton, a Heavy Cruiser, where for some reason I was then assigned to the deck force learning how to become a janitor.
Many of us were soon assigned to the USS Duluth, a light Cruiser, and almost immediately sailed overseas to Japan, Korea, (yes, in 1947), China (Shanghai, Tsingtao, Hong Kong) then back to the States. I put in a "chit" to reenlist. In those days one did not speak to upper echelons, but rather used a chit to ask for basic things. My chit was denied because without me knowing it many of us on the Duluth were already on orders for ETS Discharge; so much for manpower retention. I took the discharge, but in two years reenlisted back into the Navy and was sent to the DesBase (Naval Station) in San Diego for fleet assignment.
http://www.navyfrogmen.com/fiftiesfr...enGarrett.html

http://www.navyfrogmen.com/fiftiesfr...nGarrett2.html

I really miss him. Thank you for the photo, SHHINT.
Old 16 November 2016, 23:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post
I really miss him.
Indeed! I miss his sense of humor! He was in a class all by himself. He is sorely missed!
Old 17 November 2016, 10:59
A Texan in exile

Just a quick note. Since Truman officially declared hostilities over on 12/31/1946, Cass' enlistment just after high school in 1946 would have qualified him for the WWII Victory Medal. He would have also received the Navy Occupation Service Medal, as that service was covered from 1945 to 1952.

He was def a stand up guy. GWAG, thanks for those links, I had forgotten about them.
Old 20 July 2017, 13:09

RIP, Cass. I always enjoyed reading his posts. What an amazing life.
Old 20 July 2017, 18:43
#BlackRiflesMatter

I wish a book would have transpired. His posts were full of lessons and good humor, but always in a respectful way. I did a thread search one weekend and spent most of it reading his writing...I don't remember a single post that was mean-spirited, and they all had a mentoring quality.

The history and accomplishments were amazing, but what struck me even more was that quality of character. A quality to inspire to achieve, and be more like in my own life.
Old 21 July 2017, 06:28

RIP

Our new posting rules