SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network > Legacy > Members Who Gave All

Old 16 May 2016, 07:43
Ditch Doc

Rest in Peace, SOTB. Your advice was much appreciated. You took time to help out when you didn't even know me personally. Thank You. You will be missed.
Old 16 May 2016, 08:04

If there is a heaven, it just got a little more interesting if his internet persona is remotely close to his real world one.
Old 16 May 2016, 08:12
The Flying Scotsman

I've locked horns with Andy on many an occasion, and when I heard the news today, my heart felt heavy, I kept reading the name Andy, on many face book pages, hoping that it wasn't SOTB, sadly the news is indeed true.

Andy was as straight as they come, with wise words and harsh words when he felt they were needed, but never malicious in any of his responses, very sad news indeed, RIP Andy, thank you for all the good advice and straight talking over the past 10 years.
Old 16 May 2016, 08:15
Chimpoltle ExtraOrdinary

Quick memory of SOTB, and an interaction I had with him a while back, when Jonah was still in his mom. I posted a picture of him up here, and he sent me a PM about PERSEC. He also would nail me on my grammatical errors, in a humorous but stern way. Part of me feels like, he helped me be able to write better. :) All humor aside, SOTB, the interactions i had with him, were always a pleasure. Rest easy, Marine. You are missed.

"Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid... "
-- John Wayne

"AND PLEASE STOP THE TEXT TALK!!!! OMG's and Plz and all of the others dont fly here. We talk like big people here." -- The infamous Virgil Tibbs (of SOCNET, not TV LAND)
Old 16 May 2016, 09:11

I never had the privilege of being on the receiving end of one of his insightful posts. He and his contributions will be sorely missed.

RIP
Old 16 May 2016, 09:11

Huge hole left in this forum. RIP Sir!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880
Old 16 May 2016, 09:48

Rest in Peace SOTB

I have never met Andy and this news has me torn up inside. I will miss the knowledge you passed, the giant hammer you dropped on people and your blunt honesty.

RIP
Old 16 May 2016, 09:52

...not how I was expecting my day to start. I learned a lot from you on this site, even when I was an arrogant shit. Rest In Peace, SOTB. You'll definitely be missed.
Old 16 May 2016, 10:13
Authorized

RIP Marine

We're all poorer for the loss.
Old 16 May 2016, 10:26

RIP Marine !
Old 16 May 2016, 10:32
Shakin' the bush Boss

When I was fairly new to the board we crossed swords several times. Over some really silly shit in hindsight. If a man can be described in one word I would describe Andy as "direct". Although we weren't buddies, I did greatly respect him and his experiences.
Old 16 May 2016, 10:38

Will be sorely missed -- R.I.P. Andy/SOTB
Semper Fi
Old 16 May 2016, 10:40

RIP Andy.
The world is diminished with your absence.
Semper Fi

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
― Thomas Jefferson
Old 16 May 2016, 10:47
Send it....

RIP Andy. Semper Fi brother
Old 16 May 2016, 11:05
RIP SOTB

Crossing the Bar...

I was taken back by the news when I read Silverbullet's post last night. It sucked the wind out of my sails and found myself at a loss for words. So, I signed off and reflected on the SOTB persona that I had come to know over the 11 years I've been a SOCNET guest. Andy (if I may) through the years triggered laughter, thought, introspection and the occasional rolling of the eyes. Although I didn't always share his views or conclusions, I respected them.

Andy, I shall miss your light in this virtual world. Earth is a lesser place without you and the heavens all the brighter. I hope when you left this world you were held with love and at peace with the journey ahead. Prayers for the loved ones you leave behind, until joined again in the next life.

I will hold to the words of Tennyson to fight back my sadness as I imagine you crossing the bar and "seeing your pilot face-to-face".

Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.

As said by Bullwyf (13th Warrior), " a man might be thought wealthy if someone were to draw the story of his deeds, that they may be remembered."

You were a wealthy man and will be well remembered. Laura
Old 16 May 2016, 11:23

RIP, Shipmate. I did not know him well, but well enough to know his passing diminishes us all.
Old 16 May 2016, 11:36
Red Headed Stepchild

...no words. Not what I expected to see when I logged on this morning. I never met Andy in person but I wish I had. This will be a lesser place without him. Very sad.

RIP Marine.
Old 16 May 2016, 11:49
Life is simple, not easy.

RIP SOTB. You will be well remembered and sorely missed.

What I loved about SOTB is he could take on very serious geopolitical matters, or advise/interject on security tactics and strategies, but then you'd open a thread in the Lounge and he is telling you how much he and his daughter loved The Jungle Book, or played HALO for who knows how many hours.

I will miss his presence here for sure.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!
Old 16 May 2016, 11:55

SEMPER FI MARINE, RIP.
Old 16 May 2016, 11:58
Authorized

Fair Winds Marine.

I loved reading his posts. Wish I could have met him.

Semper Fi!
Old 16 May 2016, 12:03
Calix Meus Inebrians

I saw 0699's avatar in another thread and didn't want to believe it was true. SOTB was without a doubt one of the most well versed and insightful people I have ever had the privlige to read. His grasp on a wide range of subjects, and desire to learn about ones he wasn't fully up to speed on spoke volumes. Over the almost seven years I've been here, I learned several things by reading his posts. I also laughed my ass off.

RIP, Andy. Thank you for your service, and your contributions to SOCNET. My sincerest condolences to your family and friends who read this. A loss like this will take time to heal...but what a legacy he left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baildog View Post
I will never forget the last time I saw him in person, when he was busy telling one of West Virginia's Finest "I've got a gun too, motherfucker."
Never met him in real life, but yeah, I can see that happening. What a great way to remember a true man's man.
Old 16 May 2016, 12:23

I'm utterly shocked.

Yesterday a friend of mine here Indy also passed who was also a Marine after a long battle with cancer. I have to hope that they rolled on together.

RIP Marine. Thank you for all that you did.
Old 16 May 2016, 12:25
Nec Aspera Terrent

Damn.

His posts were intentionally hilarious (at times to the point of being in tears IE: The Perplexity of Powerful Pooting thread - I did cry laughing so hard reading his posts in that one), endlessly helpful, or chew-out and also help at the same time in many instances. And it was all a treasure trove of experience and information for all on here to read and learn from.

Talked with him briefly in a few PM's a few years back, and he was as always, helpful as well as very polite.

He also helped correct my younger and dumb(er) ass years ago on here and I appreciate it.

Always loved reading his posts, whether it was about peanut butter, cooking, PT, guns or movies, political matters, overseas conflicts - whatever.

SOCNET lost a giant and the forum will never be the same without him.

RIP Marine.

Last edited by Fofo; 16 May 2016 at 12:53.
Old 16 May 2016, 12:44

RIP Andy, I have been coming on this board for over ten years and SOTBs posts were always insightful or hilariouse or both at the same time. I found myself many times holding a position on a subject only to read one of SOTBs posts and rethink my position. He truly was a smart man. I did not know him personally but I will miss him and his thoughts. Long live the pinky test!!!!!!
Old 16 May 2016, 13:18
No one special

RIP Warrior! My condolences to his family and his brothers here.
Old 16 May 2016, 13:57
Nexus Schemer

RIP SOTB! It was a pleasure to lurk and read your comments here.

I'd like to think in the early days when someone always said "getting a chair and popcorn" That we all where waiting for you come and show the misguided the way of the light. Your posts always had a way of lifting and humiliating all in one swoop... BZ

Semper Fi Sir, condolences to your family. If you wife our daughter are reading this, Please I hope they know we're a diverse group of unique individuals that can and will help anyone and anytime. The Reach of Socnet still amazes me after all these years.

Just let us know if there is anything you need.
Old 16 May 2016, 14:42
Authorized

RIP SOTB/Andy
Old 16 May 2016, 15:51

Andy was a thought leader here and as such on occasion he (happily and with intent) ruffled a few feathers. The result was often a thoughtful and spirited dialogue on the issue. I never met him but I know well the area which he grew up and I can say not a whole lot of people get out of there. Particularly not many get out and achieve to the level of success and expertise he did. We talked on several occasions about his circumstances as a child growing up and how it played a great roll in his opinions. His ability to rise above his environment is to be respected and commended. Whenever there was "breaking news" or some such event his was the first opinion I wanted to read. I was dumbfounded to read SB's announcement. RIP to Andy and prayers(aka best wishes) to his family.
Fuck cancer indeed.
Old 16 May 2016, 16:36
On the Extract Bird

Holy shit. This is crazy. I had no idea.

RIP Andy. You will be sorely missed.
Old 16 May 2016, 16:41
On the Extract Bird

He made me take a look and changed my perspective on different positions many a times.

RIP.

Our new posting rules