SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Domestic Jobs

Old 14 July 2016, 09:18
Assholier than thou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
See above
Good eye, CSM - thanks.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. So you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when in Egypt your bosom was caressed and your young breasts fondled."

--Ezekiel 23:20-49, NIV Bible.
Old 27 July 2016, 19:11
Confirmed User

So it can be a priority. The program officer has quotas to meet. a human will answer in addition to the computer work on usajobs.gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by H60Gunner View Post
Can you explain why?
Old 28 July 2016, 17:36
Authorized Personnel

I feel I am qualified to comment on this now. I just accepted my first gig and applied through USA jobs.

I had applied to a gig last year and received an offer - from application to offer was about 40 days. However I turned it down as it was in a location we decided we ultimately wouldn't be happy in.

This time I applied in March. I was offered an interview in May. I was given a tentative in the first week of June. It took until today to get my final offer completed.

My work is pretty specialized, however, so there's a small list of applicants who actually can do the work. My new boss told me that even of the applicants that passed through HR muster there was a pile of those, and then there was mine, by itself.

So USA jobs does work.

I did have applications to many other positions on USA jobs. On some I was referred to the hiring official then never heard anything else (they are even still open on USA jobs). On others I was asked to interview but got sketchy feelings from the way they handled things and backed out. This one I feel very good about.
Old 28 July 2016, 19:03
Confirmed User

Congrats man. Not an easy process by any means.
Old 28 July 2016, 20:20
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
I feel I am qualified to comment on this now. I just accepted my first gig and applied through USA jobs.

I had applied to a gig last year and received an offer - from application to offer was about 40 days. However I turned it down as it was in a location we decided we ultimately wouldn't be happy in.

This time I applied in March. I was offered an interview in May. I was given a tentative in the first week of June. It took until today to get my final offer completed.
First congrats on the new job! Does that mean you are leaving Montana?

The USA Jobs seminar explained why it takes so long from application to offer.

Quote:
I did have applications to many other positions on USA jobs. On some I was referred to the hiring official then never heard anything else (they are even still open on USA jobs). On others I was asked to interview but got sketchy feelings from the way they handled things and backed out. This one I feel very good about.
Sometimes the "agency" doesn't always interview all of their referred applicants. They then FAIL to notify OPM or update the application status for all of the other people not interviewed. So your application sits there in a referred status indefinitely. I have 2 positions in "referred" status right now.
Old 29 July 2016, 07:27
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Congratulations!!
Old 29 July 2016, 10:20
Authorized Personnel

USAjobs does work but you must be patient and do not be afraid to write the POC in the annoncement if you think there was an error.

Last week, I received a notice that said I was disqualified due to not submitting a SF 50. I had applied under VRA and was never a government employee so I did not need to submit the form.

Sure enough, the next day I recieved a phone call from a very nice lady stating that it was her error however I am still not qualified since I did not submit my graduate transcripts. She admitted to having my AA and BA but not my MBA transcripts.

I asked for her to re- check the transcripts since all three degrees are in the same document . Sure enough, she located MBA transcripts and put me on hold to reveiew. A minute or so later, she came back on line and told me that I was still not being refered for the position since my degrees were not specific to the job announcement which was not outlined in the job announcement.

The position was for a program assistant in a business office. Sometimes, you can't fix the bureaucracy but you can make them see their mistakes.

America...a country founded by geniuses but managed by idiots
Old 29 July 2016, 20:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by H60Gunner View Post
Sometimes the "agency" doesn't always interview all of their referred applicants. They then FAIL to notify OPM or update the application status for all of the other people not interviewed. So your application sits there in a referred status indefinitely. I have 2 positions in "referred" status right now.
The Forest Service seems to be the worst at this. I put in for a PAO gig with them in October of last year, got the referred to hiring authority email about a week later, and then nothing. Finally, in mid-June this year, I got an email saying I wasn't selected. Yeah, thanks, I kinda figures that.
Old 29 July 2016, 20:26
The atomic zit

Quote:
... It took until today to get my final offer completed...
Congrats and best of luck.

And now you want to Flyfish in VA!!!

I have enough gear to choke a big horse. Mingo and Gsniper will be the guides when you travel east.

Take Care,

S
Old 30 July 2016, 02:45
Confirmed User

Quote:
So USA jobs does work.
Congrats!
Old 31 July 2016, 19:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-PH View Post
The Forest Service seems to be the worst at this....
USFS and BLM both are administrative black holes unless you're connected with someone on the inside already. We almost certainly were not applying for the same positions, but they are the same agencies.
Old 4 August 2016, 14:06
Assholier than thou

I had an interview with USDA Forest Service this morning. VTC, which was a little weird, but I think it went OK. They said I should hear something by mid September, as it is a position hired in DC (for Atlanta, though).

Regardless of whether I am hired, I have found the process to be smooth and the agency responsive to questions. As with any attempt to get someone to do something, two things really help once you get past the algorithmic hurdles. One, be extremely prepared so you can ask intelligent questions at the end (in the nine question interview format, the ninth question is "What questions do you have?"), and two, be very, very nice to everyone involved in the process. Say "thank you" a lot, particularly to people who are not the decision makers. You would be surprised what gets noticed.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. So you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when in Egypt your bosom was caressed and your young breasts fondled."

Old 6 August 2016, 01:16
Been There Done That

I got a job from USAjobs. I applied in June 2015 and was hired on in June 2016. I was hired on with a 6 other guys at the same time. Some of the guys applied in December 2014. The job requires a Federal Q-sensitive clearance, which is equivalent to a DoD TS. I have a DoD TS-SCI security clearance so the Q took only a couple weeks to get adjudicated.

Anyways, it was the first job I applied for on USAjobs. That means apply early and fast as it takes a long time for some positions. I didn't graduate from my brink-and-mortar university until December 2015. So I spent 7 months as a stay-at-home-dad and as a traditional National Guardmans member. There's nothing wrong with that. Hanging out with my baby daughter and pushing her around the neighborhood was awesome. However, I'm just saying apply early.

Last edited by Bettendorf; 6 August 2016 at 01:27.
Old 6 August 2016, 11:14
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettendorf View Post
I got a job from USAjobs. I applied in June 2015 and was hired on in June 2016. I was hired on with a 6 other guys at the same time. Some of the guys applied in December 2014. The job requires a Federal Q-sensitive clearance, which is equivalent to a DoD TS. I have a DoD TS-SCI security clearance so the Q took only a couple weeks to get adjudicated.

Anyways, it was the first job I applied for on USAjobs. That means apply early and fast as it takes a long time for some positions. I didn't graduate from my brink-and-mortar university until December 2015. So I spent 7 months as a stay-at-home-dad and as a traditional National Guardmans member. There's nothing wrong with that. Hanging out with my baby daughter and pushing her around the neighborhood was awesome. However, I'm just saying apply early.
Yes, you need to apply with the thought that IF you get hired, it may take a year or two to get through the system. But as far as the actual application for a job, just so long as you apply before the closing of the announcement, you will be ok. We have put out a couple of announcements for positions and it is amazing how many completely non qualified people apply! I mean, the job is for a Special Operations PM, and a doctor applies...wtf?
We had over 1000 applications for 1 position...maybe 20 actually had somewhat relevant experience and we whittled that down to five folks to be interviewed.
Old 6 August 2016, 11:35
Old Scroll

But, don't doctors do a Special Operation every time they open you up?

I've applied over the years to at least a hundred USAjobs positions.

I was hired by the USDoI to be their Pacific Northwest fleet manager, a GS-13 spot, but was waved off by some SES who wanted to hire from within, despite the hiring manager's input, and grabbed some GS-9 from Albuquerque instead. Bummer.

Got an interview for another GS-13 Biometrics position with Homeland Security, but when the interviewer asked me if I had ever solved a problem using a spreadsheet, I knew it was a sham interview, and they already had their selection made. Another bummer.

Now I'm pending more news about a Program Manager's position with NOAA here in Asheville. My application has "been sent to the hiring authority" so maybe in a year or so I'll hopefully hear something.

In the meantime I continue doing my 12 hour shifts. Sucks.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 6 August 2016, 12:50
I've got a gun too, mf'er

I interviewed with one agency about 2 months ago, never heard anything back, and then one day my automated USAJOBS search returned the exact same job reposted at a lower grade ... guess they didn't like any of us they interviewed
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 6 August 2016, 12:53
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Now I'm pending more news about a Program Manager's position with NOAA here in Asheville. My application has "been sent to the hiring authority" so maybe in a year or so I'll hopefully hear something.

In the meantime I continue doing my 12 hour shifts. Sucks.
Good luck, brother. Hope something comes through sooner rather than later.

I have failed to get past the algorithms on several applications that read like they were written with me in mind, but got forwarded ot the hiring authority for this stretch dream position that I applied for because .. hey, why not?
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 6 August 2016, 13:09
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Yes, you need to apply with the thought that IF you get hired, it may take a year or two to get through the system. But as far as the actual application for a job, just so long as you apply before the closing of the announcement, you will be ok. We have put out a couple of announcements for positions and it is amazing how many completely non qualified people apply! I mean, the job is for a Special Operations PM, and a doctor applies...wtf?
We had over 1000 applications for 1 position...maybe 20 actually had somewhat relevant experience and we whittled that down to five folks to be interviewed.
The reverse of that is when a person departs federal service, it can take up to 18 months to fill the slot. Even when an office KNOWS an individual is departing, and no matter the influence/significance of that position, the hiring process can't even be started until after they've departed. (This is how you end up with GS-7 secretaries doing the work of GS-13 budget analysts; there's no one else to do it. ) I've seen hiring managers trudge through all the hoops, offering a position to an individual, only to have them turn down the job offer, and the hiring manager has to start over again from the very beginning to include the negotiations with USAJobs just to get the opening posted.

The lesson learned was to always make conditional offers to multiple individuals, but this means out of three offers, only one will actually get hired.

IME, most federal hiring managers are just as frustrated with the system as the individuals seeking employment.
Old 7 September 2016, 14:30
Assholier than thou

Well, shoot. The Forest Service job went to someone else. Highly competitive but not selected, I'm told. Back to the drawing board. :/

UPDATE: Things just got a little less shitty... I have been fighting to get my GS 11 promoted to 12, and it just came through. Being able to take care of one of my troops takes a lot of the sting out of being weighed, measured, and found to be lacking.

Last edited by ARCHANGELRANGER; 7 September 2016 at 14:55. Reason: Update
Old 7 September 2016, 15:19
Old Scroll

LOL... welcome to the American Rejected Rangers Group... ARRG for short. I've probably put in for over a hundred USAjobs positions, and have had two interviews, and no jobs.

But HEY, I'm holding right now for a SWEETASS gig with NOAA right here in Asheville... because surrender isn't a Ranger word... never quit

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab

Our new posting rules