Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 28 August 2017, 16:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
Yep...when I flush our toilet...the sink gurgles. I have some relatives bringing me 20 sandbags in a few minutes. The water got to within 20 feet of my front door and about 10 feet from my back door. We have caught the bad bands all night and day and we have a couple more days of it to go. To be honest...I'm tired of the rain. It has rained at my house every single day for the last month and the water has nowhere to go. However, the drains are seeming to drain -- just slowly.

I'll need a bush hog to cut my grass once it does stop raining.
I am not far from you, should you need some assistance, or anything else for that matter. I have some experience with hurricanes, and the clean-up there after. Stay safe.
Old 28 August 2017, 16:10
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by just11b View Post
I am not far from you, should you need some assistance, or anything else for that matter. I have some experience with hurricanes, and the clean-up there after. Stay safe.
Thank you, Brother!
Old 28 August 2017, 16:18
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
More rain to come as Harvey moves closers to the gulf and picks up additional moisture.

Gas prices expected to rise 10-25 cents nationwide as all of our fucking refineries are in the same area.
An Exxon here had gas for $8.xx/gal. I'd be surprised if that news doesn't make its way back to the Exxon headquarters since they are local.
Old 28 August 2017, 16:37
Confirmed User

GOOD NEWS they have brought in the Portable Toilets. Bad News they have no way to get them out to where they are needed.

Thanks for helping people out in the flooded area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by assertnull View Post
Still high and dry here. I'm an island of tolerable in a sea of miserable, though.

As to the toilets flushing - I still have water. It's not a mater of the toilets having water available to flush. It's a matter of, there's nowhere for the poop to go, there's no room in the sewers.

I've yet to have to shit in a bag, however. So that's good. We just have to make sure to hold in our poops until the street drains.

During a quiet time yesterday I went out to a flooded neighborhood and helped pull folks out of their homes. Just a bunch of us rednecks with lifted vehicles and rafts, it was a funny sight, I was the most "white collar" person there.

Cleared a couple of folks from a couple of streets, drove them back to a bridge, went in for more.

Not 30 minutes after I'd left to go home and clean the shit water off of myself, the bridge we'd used as a sort of "staging" area collapsed. (ETA that's a bridge over Beltway 8, a fairly major highway/loop here in Houston

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYT4qA9Av2w/

Pretty trippy, my truck (well, SUV) was parked right there. If I'd stayed around another 30 minutes, I'd have been a pink and red smear on the roadway below - fun times!

100 yards north of me the neighborhood is flooded. The roads allowing me to egress the area are flooded - I can get out, just have to destroy a few people's yards to do it.

TLDR: I'm still good, the worst crisis I've had thus far is running out of eggs and having to dip into my stash of Honeyville Farms powdered eggs.

I have a few months worth of food, plenty of plastic bags to shit in (if necessary), purification tablets, a ceramic katadyn filter, a smaller katadyn bottle, life straw, potassium permanganate, activated charcoal, all sorts of cool shit to give me a clean drinking water for many moons. I'm good. I'll stay good. But the rest of the city? Completely fucked.
Old 28 August 2017, 20:05
Very Deplorable

Just got the call. Deploying tonight to the affected area with a local FEMA contracted DRT.
I'll bring my plastic bags...
Old 29 August 2017, 19:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
An Exxon here had gas for $8.xx/gal. I'd be surprised if that news doesn't make its way back to the Exxon headquarters since they are local.
$20000 fine
$250000 fine for every elderly victim
Quote:
Originally Posted by penal code
(c) In addition to the request for a temporary restraining order, or permanent injunction in a proceeding brought under Subsection (a) of this section, the consumer protection division may request, and the trier of fact may award, a civil penalty to be paid to the state in an amount of:
(1) not more than $20,000 per violation; and
(2) if the act or practice that is the subject of the proceeding was calculated to acquire or deprive money or other property from a consumer who was 65 years of age or older when the act or practice occurred, an additional amount of not more than $250,000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
Just got the call. Deploying tonight to the affected area with a local FEMA contracted DRT.
Yall need anything? This is "over" for me. Sick as a dog at the moment but I can get most places.

West Houston is my stomping ground. We've been able to liaise with people via social media of all things, to get rescuer folk to troubled folk. Need any info about the area, give a shout.
Old 29 August 2017, 19:33
Adding Chlorine

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
I'm in the northern suburbs and work near Bush IAH, let me know if you need anything while you're here.

Not As Lean, Not As Mean, Still A Marine
YAT YAS
Old 29 August 2017, 19:56
Been There Done That

I've been at work for 5 days. As far as I know my house is fine, but there is a lot of flooding where I work. We are getting some sun here. I ever thought I'd be so happy to see sunshine.
Old 29 August 2017, 20:03
Confirmed User

Watching CNN get punked the fuck out for being a bunch of vultures on live TV really brings a smile to my day.

https://youtu.be/achm7IGeFGI
Old 29 August 2017, 20:04
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Watching CNN get punked the fuck out for being a bunch of vultures on live TV really brings a smile to my day.

That is solid gold...
Old 29 August 2017, 20:09
Red Headed Stepchild

We have some friends in Pearland that we're been checking in on since the storm hit land. They are doing OK, hope all the SOCNETers are as well.

On a lighter note, looks like Joel Osteen has been getting some good press down there the last couple days.

and:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post

That was outstanding.
Old 29 August 2017, 20:55
Confirmed User

Interesting. Curfew in place from Midnight - 0500
I get the thinking, but that rubs me the wrong way.
Old 29 August 2017, 21:05
Adding Chlorine

Quote:
I thought it was 10pm - 5am, did they change it? This isn't the first time Mayor Turner took advantage of this situation to separate you from your rights.

I see it is some of the southern suburbs that are 2200-0500, Houston proper is Midnight to 0500

Not As Lean, Not As Mean, Still A Marine
YAT YAS

Last edited by DevilDawg; 29 August 2017 at 21:10. Reason: Found confirmation of timeline
Old 29 August 2017, 21:15
Confirmed User

Lol "curfew". Turner is such a fag.
Old 29 August 2017, 21:18
FIDO

Quote:
But it's for your own good.
Old 29 August 2017, 21:23
Been There Done That

Are any of the scavengers taking advantage. Is there any looting going on?

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 29 August 2017, 21:26
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Are any of the scavengers taking advantage. Is there any looting going on?
Yes
Old 29 August 2017, 21:31
Confirmed User

There's a shit load of looting going on. Maybe not Katrina level though. Rescue boats are being shot at. People are being "rescued" by pieces of shit.......and then the "rescue" crew comes back to rob their now unoccupied house. Other boat crews had people feign needing help.......only to have those people try to board their boats and steal them. Stores are being broken into and TV being stolen. There's lots of info should one deign to google.
Old 29 August 2017, 21:51
Confirmed User

There is looting,,,some are being caught. They will be punished.

http://abc13.com/houston-police-catc...m%2F2354955%2F

"Burglarizing a home would normally bring a penalty of two to 20 years in prison, but now brings five years to life.
"This is the state of Texas. We are a welcoming city, but we are not going to tolerate people victimizing others," Acevedo said.
Old 29 August 2017, 21:59
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
Yes
Fucking shame. Pisses me off terribly.

On a sad note, our former Sheriff of Fayette County, WV passed away last weekend. Ran over a hornets nest mowing his yard. He was a LE veteran of over 35 years. Well liked in the community.

During the flooding in WV in the summer of 2016 there was some looting going on. He made the following statement that made national headlines.

"If we catch you looting you will go straight to jail. If our county's citizens catch you looting, you probably won't make it to jail".

Sherifff Steve Kessler (RIP)

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist

Our new posting rules